Interlux bBightside Pre-Kote - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Interlux Brightside Pre-Kote

Well folks, I am ready to prime our 13' Boler. I will be using a foam roller for finish coat but should I use a low-nap mini roller or a foam roller? Would foam be better, or...?
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Name: Gene
Trailer: 2022 Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Suggestion

Google “paint roll and tip”
Gene680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you look at the instructions on the Brightside paint you will see that it does you do not Pre-Kote under it when covering over fiberglass. You will only need to prime spots where you have used a filler.

So save yourself a lot of money and labor time and only prime the places you might have used filler on the surface.

As to rolling and brushing it onto the surface. The first thing you need to know is do not buy the one part version of Brightside, it works for spraying but does not work for rolling and tipping. You want to get the two part component version of Brightside for rolling and tipping. I learned that information from the marine painters, I live next to a boat yard. You can use a foam roller but there is more to it than that. You will find good videos on youtube showing a two person team at work doing this paint method. They are not using the same paint but the method is the same. Pay attention to what the guy doing the roller is doing to get the the paint more level for the guy doing the brush tipping. Remember to set up a small practice piece on a scrap of painted plywood to refine your team method before you start working on the trailer. Practice before you dive into the work, it helps prevent mistakes.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
One part brightside

One part defianately works well with a roller or spraying. I've rolled a few FRP boats with great success. Spraying looks better , but that's true of all FRP boat paints that I know. When rolling brightside use a 4 in foam roller, roll it until it is sticky and keep a wet edge. The heavier you put it on the longer you must roll it. If you roll it until sticky it will not run but will flow out smooth. It will continue to shrink and smooth out for at least a day but you will notice a marked difference in an hour. Tip, nerve wax brightside, it has Teflon or similar product that rises to the top and will make it easy to clean.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
PS, priming and sanding after and between coats is recommended. Tipping is not required or recomended, I found it works better without tipping with a brush. Call and talk to Interlux.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Here is a link to the application guide for the product. Scroll down and you will see the following statement which I have clipped out and pasted as an image (click to enlarge it) below this sentence for the convenience of not having to go to another website.
Click image for larger version

Name:	interlux instructions.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	119475
But the decision for using primer will depend on the surface condition of your trailer. As stated in the instructions you do need to prime crazed and minor crack areas (and of course over any filler). I did not have any crazing as such on my 1971 trailer but it is a different make. I did have areas with minor cracks also on the lower front there were lots of rock chips that needed filler and even a big hole to fill in.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote