International Transport Issues? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
International Transport Issues?

Hello all. Very excited to report that we are closing in on a deal on a Bolar 1700. One question I have no idea on is if there are any requirements in terms of paper work, fees, etc. related to buying a used trailer in Canada and bringing it permanently into the US?

We have not worked all of the details out yet. One option is to leave the previous owners plates and registration be and bring it here to Massachusetts. The other option is to do the compicated running around to aquire MA tags and move it as mine.

Anyone have experience with this? Last thing I want, having never done this before, is to get to the boarder and have them say "sorry you can't do that."

Rob

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 PM   #2

Oh, you can do it. It's easy.
first check with YOUR DMV. tell them what your doing and they will tell you what you need. (I only needed title, bill of sale, and form from the border) I wasn't required anything about a tag, but this is Oklahoma.
Second. go get the trailer. remember to carry ID's for everyone who goes with you.

heres another thread with border crossing stories. nosy
I'm sure there are more. just try the search button in upper right corner.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #3

After checking with your local DMV I would suggest calling U.S. Customs and asking what documents you would need to import the trailer. Also ask if there are any import duties, and any DOT requirements you need to satisify.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #4

Hi Steve
Welcome to this forum.Post lots and have fun.:wave

Old 08-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #5

well, when I came through with mine, they only wanted to know if it was made in Canada to Canadian specks and if I had any drugs :)
yes and no

no duties as we have a trade agreement with Canada, and it is a used trailer. but it wouldn't hurt to check. they could have changed the rules since September last year.

They also wanted to know why I said we were from Oklahoma when one lady clearly (checking the IDs) lived in Kansas, 15 miles up the road. ''Sorry, Sir. I forgot.''

Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 AM   #6

Importing a Trailer

We just did the reverse. We purchased a trailer in the US and imported it to Canada.

Call US and Canada Customs and get the low down from them before you make the move. Canada may require information on the vehicle leaving the country. US Customs and US DOT may need certain documentation. (When importing from US into Canada for example, Transport Canada has a $182.00 fee you must pay and the trailer has to have a sticker that says it was manufactured to meet US Federal Highway Safety Standards {It's just another tax})

You will have to talk to your local DMV and find out what they will require in order to get it licenced.

Also talk to your insurance agent!!! That was one of our biggest hang ups getting temporary insurance for the trip home from Portland prior to being able to register the trailer in BC

You may not be able to licence the trailer until you have imported it. If this is the case you will require temporary trip permits. We did for Oregon and Washington. These are obtained through each State or Province's DMV. They are around $20.00 each

The best thing you can do is make all your inquiries in advance of the move. It was a little labour intensive but everyone was helpful.

Hope this helps,

Dwight