Internet Connection while traveling - New from Virgin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Internet Connection while traveling - New from Virgin

Those of you wanting to stay connected while traveling might be interested in this article describing a new service from Virgin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/te...me&ref=general

It claims you can be connected while traveling for about $40 per month, with no contract, ability to stop and start when you want, no limit on downloads.

Brian
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Another great product for frequent travelers is the Apple iPad. Especially the 3G version, which connects to the internet via AT&T wireless. It will also connect to free WiFi hotspots like Starbucks and McDonalds offer. I have had one since they first came out, and it is one of those products that you wonder how you got along without it.

I can check and send email, surf the web, listen to music, watch movies, play games, and even use my home and work computers remotely with it. The 3G service is either $15 or $25 a month, depending on how much you plan on using it. I actually have a $30 subscription that they don't offer any more which is totally unlimited. You don't need to activate the 3G service if you don't want to, and when you do it is only month to month... no long contract. You actuvate ot deactivate your service right from the iPad. No need to call AT&T or visit a store.

There is a version of the iPad which does not have the 3G, but can connect to WiFi hotspots. This version is cheaper, but in my opinion it is worth getting the 3G for time when you really want it.

Oh, the iPad is also a really nice GPS unit. You can use the included mapping software or download various 3rd party apps. There are tons of games from arcade-style to card games and sudoku. There are lots of free apps (little programs) that you can easily download. Many of them are for weather forecasts, news, etc. I am still amazed at all the things I can do on my iPad and all the free or almost free software there is for it. Many of the aps cost just 99 cents or maybe a few bucks.

People who have never used an iPad don't usually get it... but once you have used one for a day or two, you realize how useful and special it is. Everyone has takes a magazine into the bathroom with them, right? Well, imagine something the size of a magazine, but it is the whole internet, plus movies, plus email, plug games, etc, etc...

You can even make calls using Skype! Oh, and if you have a digital camera, you can hook it up to the iPad and store your photos, upload them to the web, or email them to friends. You can even do a lot of photo editing and retouching on the iPad!

I highly recommend the wireless keyboard (I am using it right now) and the camera connect kit if you have a digital camera.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
It claims you can be connected while traveling for about $40 per month, with no contract, ability to stop and start when you want, no limit on downloads.

Brian
I read a review of this system. It really looks good - until you look at the Sprint coverage map. If you are going anywhere off of a major Interstate or medium City you are out of luck. It will not work while roaming. For those of us who Boondock and go to out-of-the-way places it is not much use.

Bummer. Before you order check the map on the Sprint site

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Test "drove" the service last spring when it first came out. Used the $10 for 10 days card en-route to Canada from our winter in Florida. Worked fine on the I75 corridor...a bit slow in Suwannee River SP...but otherwise fine. Our travels involve the FL state parks which are for the most part WiFi-less! This enables me to book our next years campsites in Feb. and do e-mail s. And NO plan to sign up for!
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium
IF you have a blackberry, there's a great piece of software called "Tether", that lets you use the BB for an internet connection. It's not hugely fast, but works fine anywhere you can make a cell phone call and gives you free internet, especially if you have an unlimited data plan.

Cheers!

Glen
GlenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

On our 6 week, 4200 mile trip WA to AZ last Feb, we used Starbucks. Our Magellan GPS always found a nearby Starbucks and we developed a taste for their lunch paninis.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We bootleg with a strainer and a speed booster whenever we can. This depends where the campground is in conjunction with a residential area or businesses with unprotected internet.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP View Post
IF you have a blackberry, there's a great piece of software called "Tether", that lets you use the BB for an internet connection. It's not hugely fast, but works fine anywhere you can make a cell phone call and gives you free internet, especially if you have an unlimited data plan.

Cheers!

Glen
I should add that one needs a good or unlimited data plan associated with the BlackBerry and that a gentle test the first billing period would be a good idea Me, I have unlimited browsing (sucked me into the deal a few years back)

Glen
GlenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From my experience WiFi hotspots are very easy to find. I see no need for this device. In some cases I can get free wifi where there is no cell phone or land line phone. Newberry National Volcanic Monument is that way.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Cyndi - you're speaking a language that is foreign to me could you tell me what a 'strainer' is, and a 'speed booster'?
Thank you!
KarenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
We bootleg with a strainer and a speed booster whenever we can. This depends where the campground is in conjunction with a residential area or businesses with unprotected internet.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Smile Marg

I use a "wifi finder" that I purchased over the internet for $20. I see they are available from $5 up. They are very handy when traveling through a town to find free wifi sites. The more expensive have a larger range for finding the sites than the cheaper models. I also use my TomTom for finding Starbucks, Borders, etc that have free wifi. Happy trails. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I have used the tethering option on my Droid by using PdaNet for my Mac and EasyTether for my PC. This goes through the data plan on my Droid and doesn't add any extra cost unless we are away from data plan service areas (like in remote SW South Dakota). Then, extra charges apply and we use it sparingly. However, the Droid does a great job of checking email and small internet searches all by itself. I only hook to the laptop(s) when I want a larger image for ease of reading.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #13

Iowa
Registry
Home made Wifi-Signal Strainer

KarenH.

Strainer as in noodle strainer. Tin cans work also. The booster is a Compact Wireless Network Adapter with Speed Booster. You use it improve you internet signal usually at home. I have included a website where we got the idea and pictures of ours. If we are in certain campsites in the campground we are calling home I can pick up a signal across the river without it.
Attached Thumbnails
InternetPic1.jpg   InternetPic2.jpg  

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #14

Iowa
Registry
KarenH,
Here's the website.

GO GET STUFF!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I am also considering getting the Virgin MiFi. My only concern is the Sprint network may not be available in some of the spots I dry camp. Like others, I brought my Netbook into local starbuck shops and got on line that way. Luckily, I really did not have to use the internet or e-mail on a daily basis.

I do not want to get a smart phone - don't have a business need for such a devise. I really do not want to pay someone an additional $20 per month for "unlimited texting".

I do plan to buy a new I-pod touch. If I can access WiFi a majority of the time while on the road, I should be able to meet most of my internet needs.

And for $150, the Virgin card may be a no brainer.

I must comment on what a great forum this is. I am so impressed with Marg & Cyndi B.'s post. Who'd have thought to use a food strainer? WokFi? That cracks me up!

Marg, what was you internet source?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Quote:
KarenH,
Here's the website.

GO GET STUFF!!!
Thanks very much Cyndi - I consider myself somewhat tech-savvy, and I'm glad to see that the words that I labelled 'jargon' are just good old kitchen talk!
and thanks too for the link. I'll look into it.
KarenH
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #17

Iowa
Registry
KarenH:

Hey, you can use other things to achieve the same thing as long as they are metal and concave. This can be mounted outside the trailer depending on how much signal you need to obtain maximum internet satisfaction. I must remind you this only works on unsecured sights. It is possible you may be bootlegging enough signal to screw someone else's night up.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #18

Name: ryan
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alabama
Quote:
KarenH:

Hey, you can use other things to achieve the same thing as long as they are metal and concave. This can be mounted outside the trailer depending on how much signal you need to obtain maximum internet satisfaction. I must remind you this only works on unsecured sights. It is possible you may be bootlegging enough signal to screw someone else's night up.
but if your using someone's unsecured wireless signal i dont think you care about other people as long as you get the best signal for you.
love teh Virgin MiFi, wheres the downside to it, feels too good
Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
I read a review of this system. It really looks good - until you look at the Sprint coverage map. If you are going anywhere off of a major Interstate or medium City you are out of luck. It will not work while roaming. For those of us who Boondock and go to out-of-the-way places it is not much use.

Bummer. Before you order check the map on the Sprint site
This is a pretty interesting thread. I agree that Sprint coverage could be the catch. This past June I took a 10 day trip into southern Utah. Most of the time my AT&T phone could not pick up a signal. Sometimes there was a signal available (Verizon I think) but I could not access it; but mostly there was nothing. Utah is full of empty spaces cellwise.

Oddly, I had WiFi hookup almost every night! And I kicked myself for not bringing the MagicJack for phone calls via internet. One night I camped in Red Canyon, west of Bryce (loved Red Canyon BTW, beautiful place), and in that remote no-hookups CG I picked up a fellow camper's signal! Used it for a quick email session and let the family know I was still alive.

But all the comments in this thread are useful, because everyone's situation is different and it's good to know all the options for all the varying situations.

I guess the boondock sites in the middle of nowhere, with no one else nearby, are still unlikely to have any kind of signal... unless we have satellite hookup, right?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Not so good .... Virgin is using Spring Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post

Brian
This would be great if Virgin were not using the Spring Network. I had a fantastic plan with Sprint .... the old 'Unlimited' plan except unlimited doesn't do you any good when you can't make a connection.

As others have said .... so long you're on an Interstate or in a major city you (likely) will have a usable connection but move to the coast or even a state road or smaller city and the "Google' becomes a challenge.

Recently I switched to Verizon with 5 GB limit and I'm very happy. When we're at the Lake in Southern OR I now can connect to the Clients computer and work on their system. With Sprint, I couldn't even get my e-mail at the Lake.
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote