Inverter Generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have both...I own a Yamaha EF2400ISHC generator for when air conditioning (or battery recharging during the winter months when I need to use the furnace) and a 100 watt roof mounted solar panel. I am going to be adding a portable panel into the equation because sometimes I have to park totally in the tree's and need to keep my batteries topped off so I can run My MaxxAir fan for ventilation.

The state parks that I have been camping in NJ have all been ok with the quiet series generators...Now I did luck out this summer that I honestly didn't need it because it was a fairly cool summer...But when it is 95' and humid at midnight I will fire it up to get comfortable. Once last summer a friend who had a small 1000 watt generator from Harbour Freight were told to shut it down...I looked at the ranger and he said mine was fine. I prefer not having to use it, but if I need to I will.

Solar is great for recharging the batteries but a few overcast days and you can have depleted batteries. Hybrid system with both does offer greater versatility. In the future as technology improves I will probably move to a dc fridge because the electrical use is becoming much more efficient then it was 10 years ago...but I would definitely at that point need a second moveable panel to capture the solar energy.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Hubby and I used to boondock in our 13' boler a lot but we are now both on CPAP machines so have had to have hydro sites for past couple of years. We really aren't happy about that! We installed a deep cycle marine battery which takes care of lights, 12v fantastic fan etc, but not the CPAP machines. I bought two 12 volt folding solar panels that run concurrent to charge my 400 power pack but it will only run the machines for one night and the solar panels won't fully charge it up for the next night. I assume I don't have big enough solar panels. For us, here in Ontario where Carol you are right, generators are in many cases, banned, solar is the option I need to look at. Can you give me any information on how much solar I need?
Vivian I am not in Ontario, in BC where as you know we do have a few camping seasons where a full sun day can be elusive - thankfully not this year though! As has been suggested it involves a bit of math as to your power usage as well as some knowledge as to what your normal camping situation is - do you camp with lots of tree coverage or normally out in the open? Are you a fair weather camper only? What size of deep cell battery do you have? higher is better and going to 2 6 volt batteries better again.

Either way I would suggest that the 12 w panels would indeed have difficulties with maintaining battery even without running two CPAP machines. Its important to know what the draw is of the CPAP machines is as they are not all created equal either.

There is a site that will give you lots of info called the 12 Volt Side of Life that is worth reading through.

I don't have a CPAP so can't suggest what may be needed but I can get by easily with less than 60 watt panel & never drop the battery below 50% - running the fridge on propane and using only LED lights in the trailer. That includes using the Fantastic Fan or furnace on a as needed bases. If I was counting on keeping medical equipment running I would think you would need at least a 120W if not more. I know we have a number of people here who require a CPAP machine and they do get by on solar so hopefully one of them will pipe up and advise how big the panels are that they use and under what conditions. You could also Google this forum and find past threads on the topic of CPAP and solar.

The good news is that panels have dropped in price greatly since I purchased my system a number of years ago - you can get solar panels for as little as $1 per watt these days and the size of the panels has dropped which helps as well with the storage of them. You will need to look beyond Canadian Tire for those prices though. Their pricing is pretty high for the small systems they sell.

My apologies in advance to those who don't feel it appropriate or helpful to answer a solar question on a generator thread
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Thanks Carol. I will now sit and do some reading and research with a goodly idea of what I need to look for and lookout for. Thank you everyone.
Vivian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator