Inverter Generators - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Parkliner
Kentucky
Inverter Generators

I'd like to find one for charging batteries and and inflating tires. Any top choices? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Are you asking about the Honda or Yamaha (and others) lightweight and quiet inverter gennies? I don't have one but want one, even though I can't really justify one. How does the inflating come in, seperate small compressor?

Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
You'd be better off using solar to charge batteries and a 12 Volt compressor. Solar panels take up less space than the smallest genset and battery charger (Charging directly is not recommended). And you would still need the small compressor.

FYI after 9 years of extensive camping I've never really needed a compressor when traveling. The one time I needed inflate my trailer tires a handy tire shop took care of it for free. The solar panel keeps the battery charged, not needed until about day 4 after setting up.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Not sure a generator is right for your needs but here is a huge discussion on the subject from awhile back.

Generator Honda or Yamaha
Old 09-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FYI after 9 years of extensive camping I've never really needed a compressor when traveling. The one time I needed inflate my trailer tires a handy tire shop took care of it for free. The solar panel keeps the battery charged, not needed until about day 4 after setting up.

I've found a 12v compressor is sure handy for keeping bicycle tires inflated. Quit using a pump long ago. And I've never needed it, but on two occasions I have used it to pump up tires when neighboring campers had flat tires, one on a TV and the other on their trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Tire inflator is a pretty small item to pack as insurance. Considering the difference between cost of a good generator and cost of 100 watt solar set up. Only reason I can see for picking a genny is Air Conditioning & microwave.

Some folks with pets, or who find no AC extremely uncomfortable might opt of the generator but on weight and cost I would look to solar.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Another negative point about generators. More and more places are restricting generator use. An example of recent changes, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument has generator free areas, plus 2 year ago generators could be used 3 times a day I think for 2 or 3 hours each time. Currently it's twice a day for maximum of 2 hours each , 8:00 am to 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

This seems to be trend.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a Honda 2000 eu sitting in my garage that hasn't been used in 5 or 6 years.
I added 50w Solar Panel to the 16 Scamp I had at the time.
All of my camping is boon docking and I have never run out of power.
If it's cold I run the furnace at night.
I have changed every light to LEDs.

You can install a complete 60w solar system including a group 29 deep cycle battery for less than half of what a good generator will cost you.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Another negative point about generators.

Why must we make negative points about generators, or anything else for that matter. If you're into boon docking, maybe solar is the way to go. Personally, I prefer a source of good ole 115 VAC to run the A/C when I need it. That is why I don't camp in the boonies. If I did, I wouldn't need solar power anyway. That's why they make Coleman lanterns and 5 gallon water cans and firewood to cook over and dual 6 v battery set-ups. I DO NOT use a generator when I go camping and honestly, I rarely hear them running. For that matter, I cannot remember hearing anyone running a generator anytime I've camped in the last two years. But I also will not praise the virtue of solar power as I believe it has it's drawbacks and it's limits, at least on the scale that is possible with a relatively small FG camper. My philosophy is simple. You camp with whatever equipment you like and I'll do the same. Just because I do not use what you use doesn't mean you are doing it all wrong, and I wouldn't presume to think my way is preferable.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I think Byron was just making a point that some places restrict generator use for the OP to consider. Even if not a big fan of generators I doubt any offense was intended.

Nothing wrong with a generator if it works for where and when you camp. AC is primary reason because that is not going to run off of batteries. I have a friend in Fla. that takes a window AC unit with him when he tent camps. Some dog agility trials people have generators so they can keep the dogs and themselves comfortable in the camper. At least one or possibly two FGRV manufactures default configuration is all electric with no propane which suits people that want to pull into the campground and plug-in, no interest in using camper to boondock. So clearly there is a market for folks that want all electric convenience.

Honda EU 2000 generator starting at $1000 to run a converter for 12 volt does make solar a viable alternative for OP to consider. No reason one has to spend over $250 to have a 100 watt solar system and could get that down to around $200. How one camps and what appliances are desired determine if it is the better option or not. No one answer fits everyone.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #11

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think Byron was just making a point that some places restrict generator use for the OP to consider. Even if not a big fan of generators I doubt any offense was intended.

Nothing wrong with a generator if it works for where and when you camp. AC is primary reason because that is not going to run off of batteries. I have a friend in Fla. that takes a window AC unit with him when he tent camps. Some dog agility trials people have generators so they can keep the dogs and themselves comfortable in the camper. At least one or possibly two FGRV manufactures default configuration is all electric with no propane which suits people that want to pull into the campground and plug-in, no interest in using camper to boondock. So clearly there is a market for folks that want all electric convenience.

Honda EU 2000 generator starting at $1000 to run a converter for 12 volt does make solar a viable alternative for OP to consider. No reason one has to spend over $250 to have a 100 watt solar system and could get that down to around $200. How one camps and what appliances are desired determine if it is the better option or not. No one answer fits everyone.

Thanks Roger, you understood exactly what I wanted to point out. Most non-electric campgrounds I've been in have some sort of restrictions on generator use. I'm say good or bad, but that's the way it is. It also appears the there is a trend towards more restrictions for various reasons, which we don't need to go into in the thread, but it is something to take into consideration when contemplating purchasing a generator.

TO CPW:::
I have no idea where you to idea that anybody, including me was trying to tell you how camp, or anybody else how to camp. It seems that some people get really upset when alternative idea is presented.
All sources of power have a negative side to them which has been discussed before and your choice is a compromise as is mine though different.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Good comments Roger and CPW on gennies and solar. I use both, one to cook (BBQ too) and one to keep the batteries topped off. Don't think I've been plugged in at a CG more than 30 days in 30 years. Our group boondocks and I am not comfortable in a CG. A genny running for a few hours to watch the TV news or whatever didn't bother anyone of us, we were around the camp fire. One of the guys ran a Honda 1000 all night (in the back of his truck) for his CPAP machine, he had it on the other side of his MH and as we all circle up, you couldn't hear it at all. He wasn't into a solar setup.
Like others have said, we all camp differently and what works for one may be off the wall for others. It's all in getting away from home and having fun.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
The OP post asked about generators (a well trod path at this point) and an answer that "you're better off with solar" seems vaguely unhelpful to me. Unless of course you suspect the questioner has never heard of solar panels which I consider unlikely. I suppose in the interest of pointing out alternatives, I should point out that there are wind power alternatives as well although seen more in marine applications but is a camping option too.

Still, bring certain subjects up (battery recharging, trailer leveling, refrigeration, shower P-traps, etc.) you can count on the fanboys of certain products will make their presence known.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Inverter Generators

Quote:

TO CPW:::
I have no idea where you to idea that anybody, including me was trying to tell you how camp, or anybody else how to camp. It seems that some people get really upset when alternative idea is presented.
All sources of power have a negative side to them which has been discussed before and your choice is a compromise as is mine though different.

Byron,

I did not get the idea that you or anyone was trying to tell me how to camp (and I probably wouldn't give it any credence if you tried!)

I use neither solar or a generator when I camp. I was really trying to point out that everyone has different needs and thoughts about things. Camp in the boonies the south in the summer and see how fast you regret not having a generator and A/C, or camp in northern Canada in the winter without a furnace and see how warm your solar panels keep you. Or spend two weeks at that remote site and see how thankful you are to have those solar panels. Everything has it's place. I wouldn't buy solar panels because it would not be cost effective for me; I don't go out in the boonies. Would be like buying a $1,000 generator for a one time use.

I did not mean to offend anyone with my post. A forum like this is tough. You write something that others read and they sometimes take out of context. Can we agree if we were sitting around a campfire having a couple of cold ones, these "misunderstandings" would be clarified immediately because there would be less interpretation of intent and/or meaning necessary.

Tags
generator