Is An Icebox a Waste of Money? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Minnesota
One thing we do is to freeze clean milk cartons of water at home in the freezer, then pop them in the cooler. When it melts, you have a gallon of cold water and your lunchmeat isn't floating around the bottom of the cooler.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We're with Jim, we freeze gallon and half gallon plastic jugs of water, also we will freeze some of the drinks that we are taking, like iced tea and spring water bottles that will help with cooling and then we can drink it when it thaws. We don't use the ice box in the camper for cold stuff though, we use a cooler or two and the ice box is used for dry storage.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #17

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Freezing bottles works for round one but you can't buy bottles of frozen water anywhere so it doesn't help when the initial ice stash melts. And since they don't melt as fast they don't keep things as cold, in my experience.

Though I like the idea also of using the cooler and then store stuff in the icebox. And I like the idea I had of a five day cooler for extra ice. (Though it seems redundant in both cases.)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have sometimes found block ice, and that's a camping bonus, but otherwise it's just go with what's available which is generally cubes. We just can't take a long time food supply, the reality of camping. Years ago near one campground we used to frequent there was an ice house where you could buy real blocks of ice, not wrapped, and near us there was a cold storage facility that sold ice in 300 lb blocks. My father would send me for a block when he was processing turkeys. Both of those places are long gone!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What I've noticed is a lot of times folks try to keep food COLD when it doesn't need to be. Pay attention when you're buying food. Diary and meats are usually behind glass doors or really cold cases (keep it cold when camping). Most green vegetables are kept cool, lettuce, celery, broccoli, etc. and the other fruits and vegetables are at room temperature. Notice tomatoes and apples? They're usually not in cold cases at the store. So, when you go camping, keep the food that needs to be cold.. cold. Food that needs to be cool... in a cool, dark cupboard and leave the tomatoes and fruit out of the refrigerator. (I should say the beverage too). Take a cooler if necessary and only open the refrigerator or icebox where the COLD food is kept when you need to prepare a meal. Often it's the beverages that folks want to keep cold that causes the icebox/refrig door to open/shut a gazillion times a day that causes problems. And, y'all know eggs don't need to be refrigerated... but kept cool... right?

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #20

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
We have an ice chest in out Scamp 13. We just set a whole bag of ice in the top tray and it works fine for us. Someday I would like to install a refrigerator though.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #21

Name: Gabrielle
Trailer: Titan GN Horse Trailer
Michigan
When I have to use bagged ice as a replacement, I ensure that I take a large storage container with tight lid (Tupperware or similar). This way, I can put large amounts of ice in a cooler (or in an icebox) without it leaking all over. In fact, if you bought the right size containers to fit the shelf/tray in an icebox, you could freeze water in them at home and then refill with whatever ice you were able to purchase later in the trip, if blocks were not available.
But I have used 1/2 gallon milk container jugs filled with water and frozen whenever possible for my ice-chests. I also bag as much of my icemaker ice as I can before trips because my cubes are 3 times the size of those purchased. I put a quilt over my ice chest and put it in the shade (this is for canned/bottled beverages) and then keep a separate ice chest for food. I am considering an ice box for the living space in my horse trailer and I'm glad to discover that they exist.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #22

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
We may be a little atypical, but we pulled the 3 way Dometic fridge out of our Scamp 13, along with the stove. I sold the fridge and bought an over sized Coleman ice chest. We do our cooking out of doors and that's where we keep the ice chest - or in the van if bears are lurking around. (I modified the stove for outdoor use.)

The cooler holds a lot more than the fridge could even begin to and we gained some much needed storage space under the cabinet. We can take it along when we travel to a grocery and load our food right into it in the parking lot.

I like the tips for freezing water at home before heading out. We've also used bottled water for this purpose - when it thaws out - drink it.

So far, we've not missed the fridge. Ice is relatively cheap and plentiful on the road. To each his own!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #23

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
It appears that there's one main manufacturer of RV iceboxes, so not a lot of pre-made options out there. Contemplating doing an icebox instead of a fridge on our rebuild. Can anyone tell me the internal dimensions of their icebox?

It looks like Scamp and others often use this one:
IB35

But I can't find any info on INTERNAL volume or size. Wondering how much food and ice I can fit in one, but I'd love to get internal dimensions to compare it to one of our coolers.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
IN LP/120VAC/12VAC Refrigerators there is, at least, Dometic and Norcold. If you look on their respective web sites I believe you will find internal capacities and dimensions.

While the cost of adding a new refrigerator may seem high, it will add substantially to the value and salability of your trailer. There are a lot of buyers out there that won't even consider a trailer without a working refrigerator, and having a newer one is even better.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #25

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
one problem with ice chests is where to put them....

In my Compact Jr any ice chest on the floor is going to be in the way. And any ice chest that will fit in the small but tall cabinet is going to be tiny.

The option that will work for me is a vertical ice chest. If this link works it will show some of them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cole...er%3B475%3B685

these are vintage coolers. last fall I bought one of the coleman's with the wood-look door. found it on craigslist.

It has a small footprint but fits into the tall cabinet.

i'll probably add some insulation to the outside walls. I like the idea mentioned here for plastic interior "doors" to help hold the cold in.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #26

Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
IN LP/120VAC/12VAC Refrigerators there is, at least, Dometic and Norcold. If you look on their respective web sites I believe you will find internal capacities and dimensions.

While the cost of adding a new refrigerator may seem high, it will add substantially to the value and salability of your trailer. There are a lot of buyers out there that won't even consider a trailer without a working refrigerator, and having a newer one is even better.
I agree with your points, Bob. BUT, we plan on rebuilding our egg to fit our needs after this camping season. The current fridge is tiny, so it's getting removed in the next month or so and a cooler going in the same opening for now. We'd like to get rid of the huge fridge vents on the side, and aren't planning/worried about resale. So a propane-based fridge is off the table. But I'd like a clean install of something else. Not sure I want to do AC/DC only fridge, still expensive and ALSO would need more battery juice. We find ice to be easy to find, and a well insulated box seems to work very well for our needs. I may end up with AC/DC fridge instead, but we'll see how it goes with just a cooler and ice this season.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #27
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Why not gut the old fridge, remove the cooling system, add insulation and make your own icebox. I'm sure you can find a plastic basin that will fit inside to hold the ice. The one thing I would avoid is a drain through the floor. That's just a rotten floor waiting to happen. Raz
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #28

Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Why not gut the old fridge, remove the cooling system, add insulation and make your own icebox. I'm sure you can find a plastic basin that will fit inside to hold the ice. The one thing I would avoid is a drain through the floor. That's just a rotten floor waiting to happen. Raz
The old fridge is an old Instamatic. It's pretty small, and the door latch isn't awesome, etc.
Our 2 dogs eat raw food, and we tend to eat a fair amount of meat, so we need a decent amount of cooling space.