Is An Icebox a Waste of Money? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: 1972 Cloud
Minnesota
Registry
Is An Icebox a Waste of Money?

OK, so I've tried searching using just the keyword "Icebox" and I seem to get everything out there. So, as far as I could scroll through and catch everyone's opinions on iceboxes - I seem to only see how everyone is REPLACING them with new fully functioning refrigerator units.

We're pretty basic campers and have only ever used coolers and a plug-in cooler. Our 1972 Cloud had a non-working ref. unit and we're seriously thinking on popping in an Ice Box. It seems like a good idea. Do I insulate around it as it is going in?

Does anyone have any advice on if they bought one and then found it to be useless? I'm attaching a photo of the vacant spot that the fridge used to be in.
RV Ice Box Small
Attached Thumbnails
addisonvac.jpg  
Jill_Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
There was a thread where poster reported getting 4-5 days out of block ice using an ice box after putting additional insulation around it when installing. Hopefully someone can point you at that post or recall details like what they used for insulation.

I also saw a neat idea for an RV fridge that would probably be a great help for an ice box. The person cut a thin piece of plexi glass to fit the inside of the front opening, then cut it up into pieces that matched shelves in fridge. Hung the pieces fom shelf above using zip ties through drilled holes as hinges.

Opening fridge door does not dump all the cold out and you just flip the plexi glass cover up to get to the shelf you want.

Scamp online store sells at least one model of ice box you might want to look at to see if dimensions will work for you. Pretty good price, especially compared to a fridge. $105 vs $540 for fridge Ice Box
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We Like Our Ice Box

We are minimalist campers coming from a background of backpacking and eco-friendly car-camping. We like to keep things simple so we purchased our new 13' Scamp with an icebox and love it! We place a block of ice on the top shelf, place foods in sealed Rubbermaid containers or keep them in the original plastic bags. Meats go on the top and sides of the ice block and we put produce in the lower section. Depending on the daytime temperature a block of ice can last from 3-5 days. The most important thing is to check that the tubing is securely connected from the bottom of the upper shelf (where the melted ice drains) to the hole in the bottom shelf (which drains to the outside). We have inadvertently knocked the hose off the holes resulting in water on the floor of the trailer (not fun). When we park the trailer to store it we remove all remaining food and ice and clean the inside of the icebox with baking soda, leaving the box sweet-smelling. In addition, we keep the door open so the box can air out.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
When purchased, my Scamp had a piece of masonite covering the hole where the ice box went. I took it off, framed the opening and put a shelf on the bottom. Now I use a large iglo style cooler that fits in the hole. It is well insulated. And I can pull it out and throw it in the tow vehicle with lunch when needed.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The main problem I have with the ice box is that once the blocks I put in at home melt, I can't find block ice and cubes don't last.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
The main problem I have with the ice box is that once the blocks I put in at home melt, I can't find block ice and cubes don't last.
Your right block is getting harder to find. I did see it in a Meijer gas station here in Mich. at Frankenmouth and was shocked.

Only other place I can recall is Rose City Mich. at the groc. store but lots of campgrounds around there.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hello, my 1978 Trillium refrig quit. Since I like to boondock
I installed an icebox like the one from Scamp. I find that
if the weather is not too hot it takes about 2 blocks of ice
per week. I keep the contents in plastic trays to be able
to quickly remove and replace them keeping the door
openings to a minimum. This is lighter and the trailer
leveling is not so critical now. Extra insulation was
installed... 2 back to back layers of reflecting bubble
wrap stuff, then 1/2" of foam insulation then another
layer of the reflecting stuff with the shiny side out.
These were installed with Scotch 77 spray on contact
cement with the joints covered with aluminum tape.
Good luck, Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dge-51532.html
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i guess it depends on your individual needs. i will say that if i had a vintage trailer i was "restoring " that came with one,i would be happy with it. ice boxes provided good service for a couple billion campers for a lot of years...and they don't break down.
that being said,,, if you spending weeks at a time out,, hard to beat a propane refridgerator.

of course it all depends on you food needs too...if all you eat is mac and cheese,,,you know?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our Egg Camper has a 12 volt compressor fridge. No propane. We would not have an icebox. Block ice is hard to find. We used coolers for years and were never fully satisfied with them. I once read of a study concerning meat in coolers. The meat was laid on top of the ice. The bottom of the meat was frozen and the top was spoiled. Not for us, but whatever floats your boat.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think the big issue with refrigerators is the cost. New propane refrigerators are $600 and up and compressor refrigerators are even more expensive. My solution was to buy a used propane fridge from a scrapped popup trailer for $50.

As noted in the link that I posted above, ice boxes have really minimal insulation. If you have the space, you can double or triple the insulation for a few bucks. Then, as Diane notes in her post, they work a lot better. You can also install a small fan inside to keep a more uniform temperature inside. I used a tiny 12 volt computer fan for a couple of bucks.

C5755 2 Pin 40mm 12V Computer Cooler Cooling Fan PC Black | eBay
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #12

Registry
This got me thinking about the ice problem. I was out Thurs- Sun in moderate temps (high probably 80, low maybe 55 at night) and two ten pound blocks of ice were almost gone by Saturday night. No local source of block ice. I may try insulating but I'm also considering an electric fridge and use a 60 hr cooler for when I need ice instead.

But I wonder if there is any kind of listing anywhere of block ice availability? Sure would be nice. Could we maybe start a sticky for that or a master list of places to find block ice? The best one I know is the machine in Fresno that dispenses 25 lb blocks. It's on Blackstone (1474 N, I think.) Also the Goose Community Grocer on Whidbey at Bayview (Highway 525 between Freeland and Clinton) has 10 lb blocks. And sadly, that's all I know! I'd like to find one near Sedro Wooley.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

Registry
I had another thought about five-day coolers, that is, getting one for the main purpose of storing extra block ice. Put two in the fridge, buy two more and pop in the less-convenient but more insulated cooler (which can sit under the trailer out of the way until needed.) Hassle to bring it, but it would only be for longer trips in warmer weather. And if I did end up getting a fridge I'd have it for the rare trip without power.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Minnesota
For what it is worth, we camped in a popup, a boat, and a tent and never used anything except an icebox. We are looking for an egg, and would be happy to get one with an icebox. If we order a new one, it will be with an icebox. Nothing to fail and no gas bomb or pilot to worry about. But we go on weekends and try to take minimal cold stuff, so your situation may be different.
MN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Minnesota
One thing we do is to freeze clean milk cartons of water at home in the freezer, then pop them in the cooler. When it melts, you have a gallon of cold water and your lunchmeat isn't floating around the bottom of the cooler.
MN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We're with Jim, we freeze gallon and half gallon plastic jugs of water, also we will freeze some of the drinks that we are taking, like iced tea and spring water bottles that will help with cooling and then we can drink it when it thaws. We don't use the ice box in the camper for cold stuff though, we use a cooler or two and the ice box is used for dry storage.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #17

Registry
Freezing bottles works for round one but you can't buy bottles of frozen water anywhere so it doesn't help when the initial ice stash melts. And since they don't melt as fast they don't keep things as cold, in my experience.

Though I like the idea also of using the cooler and then store stuff in the icebox. And I like the idea I had of a five day cooler for extra ice. (Though it seems redundant in both cases.)
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have sometimes found block ice, and that's a camping bonus, but otherwise it's just go with what's available which is generally cubes. We just can't take a long time food supply, the reality of camping. Years ago near one campground we used to frequent there was an ice house where you could buy real blocks of ice, not wrapped, and near us there was a cold storage facility that sold ice in 300 lb blocks. My father would send me for a block when he was processing turkeys. Both of those places are long gone!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What I've noticed is a lot of times folks try to keep food COLD when it doesn't need to be. Pay attention when you're buying food. Diary and meats are usually behind glass doors or really cold cases (keep it cold when camping). Most green vegetables are kept cool, lettuce, celery, broccoli, etc. and the other fruits and vegetables are at room temperature. Notice tomatoes and apples? They're usually not in cold cases at the store. So, when you go camping, keep the food that needs to be cold.. cold. Food that needs to be cool... in a cool, dark cupboard and leave the tomatoes and fruit out of the refrigerator. (I should say the beverage too). Take a cooler if necessary and only open the refrigerator or icebox where the COLD food is kept when you need to prepare a meal. Often it's the beverages that folks want to keep cold that causes the icebox/refrig door to open/shut a gazillion times a day that causes problems. And, y'all know eggs don't need to be refrigerated... but kept cool... right?

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #20

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
We have an ice chest in out Scamp 13. We just set a whole bag of ice in the top tray and it works fine for us. Someday I would like to install a refrigerator though.
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote