Is being able to see the VIN a problem at the border? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Is being able to see the VIN a problem at the border?

I like to resolve problems before they happen. My VIN number is not very visible. When I had the Oregon DMV look at it he had to run his fingers over it to find it. Most of the letters were barely visible, the last not, but the first matched and DMV was happy. With even a light thin coat of paint, it can't be made out. I'm not worried in the states, but does anyone think this will be a problem going back and forth between the USA and Canada? We have the proper title and such, I was not sure how thorough a job they do when checking a trailer. I was kind of thinking of making a little sticker stating the make, year and VIN number and putting it on the inside of the coat closet, but that isn't very official. Thanks for any input.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
I like to resolve problems before they happen. My VIN number is not very visible. When I had the Oregon DMV look at it he had to run his fingers over it to find it. Most of the letters were barely visible, the last not, but the first matched and DMV was happy. With even a light thin coat of paint, it can't be made out. I'm not worried in the states, but does anyone think this will be a problem going back and forth between the USA and Canada? We have the proper title and such, I was not sure how thorough a job they do when checking a trailer. I was kind of thinking of making a little sticker stating the make, year and VIN number and putting it on the inside of the coat closet, but that isn't very official. Thanks for any input.
that is exactly what the box trailers do, put it on a piece of yellow sticker paper, cut it down to size and attach to 2-3 places inside
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm. I've never hauled my travel trailer across the border, but do you need a title or is the registration enough? I certainly wouldn't want to lose the title, it's locked in the home safe with all the other important ownership papers.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

I believe they will only want to look at the plate and the registration at the border. DMV is the only place you need to worry about the VIN.

My Fiber Stream only had a manufacturer's aluminum foil sticker glued to the body next to the left front side marker light. I took a Metal Stamping Set and a hammer and stamped the "VIN" into the tongue frame, just in case the sticker fell off, but I was only concerned about DMV inspection.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I could be wrong here (wouldn't be the first time, LOL) but I believe that the friendly doods at the border (both ways) would be content just to see whatever legal paperwork you have to back up your 'claim' to ownership of the trailer. I have made uncountable cross border excursions with our trailer and never once been asked to show ANY paperwork on the trailer...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks for all the comments. That helped.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
After picking up my trailer, not far from Niagara Falls, in a whim of excitement I decided it would be fun to get a picture of it with the Falls in back, but quickly discovered you can't do that on the US side. So, without thinking, I decided to do a quick drive over to the Canadian side where parking in view of the Falls is still possible.

It would be impossible to see my VIN number, even if I knew where it was, As it happened I had no title or valid registration of the trailer, and the NJ plates I was using on it were, um, problematical. Oh, and one more thing: I also forgot you need a passport. Didn't realize I needed a passport until just before the young Canadian border guard began to flag me down. When I handed her my NJ drivers license instead, she made it abundantly clear she was not amused. Held in custody for half an hour, I finally got sent back to New York State, thoroughly chastized, educated, and re-habilitated, but not criminalized.

Of course, others might not be so lucky. You never know.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
I live near the Houlton, ME/Woodstock, NB border and during the summer and fall towed my Trillium across the border weekly with absolutely no problem. I have never been asked for proof of ownership, registration etc. Their computers (both ways) will confirm the tug and trailer are both registered to the same person and they'll have your passport to confirm your name. I don't think you have anything to worry about based on my experience.
Enjoy!
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I made 4 border crossings at Washington and BC, Yukon and Alaska, they only wanted to see our passports. I was never asked for license, registration etc... so I don't think you need to worry about trailer VIN.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have made dozens of trips across the border with the trailer and have never been asked for paper work for it. Even when I bought the trailer in the US and took it to the border to import it to Canada they did not go out and check the VIN number on it. Actually they never even went out of the office to look at the trailer. I have a hunch thats not normal though! :-) The only place that has ever wanted to actually see the VIN was when I had to have a DOT safety inspection before my final clearance and full BC registration papers could be issued.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #11

Registry
If you call Scamp with the VIN number they will actually send you for free a new sticker that you put on the tongue with the VIN Number and weight etc on it - all the things that the DMV or DOT wants to see - along with the Scamp logo on it. Or at least they did for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #12

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
It's on the registration that comes every year with the sticker you put on your plate. Keep it in the trailer.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #13

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
When I registered my Scamp, the VIN was difficult to identify. I took a piece of white chalk, rubbed it across the VIN, dusted it off, and the numbers popped out very clearly. Like every other reply here has noted, you probably will not have to produce the VIN number, but if you do this little trick works well.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #14

Registry
Carol, I'll give scamp a call Monday to see about a new sticker for the tongue. Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #15

Registry
Carol, I called Scamp yesterday and was told it was illegal for them to copy up another VIN number sticker. I said that I had heard that they had done one in the past, but still a no.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Carol, I called Scamp yesterday and was told it was illegal for them to copy up another VIN number sticker. I said that I had heard that they had done one in the past, but still a no.
Thats odd as they had no issues with sending me one 3 years ago - I wonder if it is a termonology issue. They actually call it a Compliance Sticker - "Motor Vechicle Safety Standard Sticker" is what is says on it. I needed one in order to get my trailer through an inspection here so I could legally import it. Perhaps if you tell them the trailer is going to be exported. I had to give them the VIN number and they produced it from that. The sticker has thier name on it, when the trailer was built, trailer weight, tire size and inflation rate and the VIN that I supplied. Can't really see why that would be illegal as they are using the information from their own data base. Hummm
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #17

Registry
Danny another thought is that you need to talk with the girls in the admin office and not the parts department if you haven't already done so. When I talked to them they told me the know what I needed and why as they had helped with a number of other trailer exports. You could also run some chaulk over your VIN and offer to send them a photo to confirm you really do have the trailer with that VIN.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #18

Registry
Carol, I just called and asked for the "Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Sticker" from the front desk. I said they had given out one to you a few years ago. She said they used to, but was told that it was illegal and stopped doing it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Make a sticker yourself. Or if you're worried about the VIN not showing on the frame buy a metal stamping set from Harbor Freight Search results for: 'metal stamping'. Those that replace the frame or do major weld jobs often need to "replace" the VIN with something readable. As long as it matches the VIN on the title and registration...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #20

Registry
I think I'm just going to make a sticker. Donna, I did get a metal stamp kit from harbor frieght and tried it. The only thing that happened was it flattend out the stamp letter and didn't make any impression on the frame. The frame must be made of pretty good steel back then.

Tags
vin