Is it a leak or moisture issue...or both? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I would suspect the belly band last of all. Belly band is cosmetic, just hides the lip where the top and bottom join. The seal is the top and bottom are fiberglassed together inside when it's assembled. But it does happen, just not often.

Do you have snap caps to seal the rivets on your curtain rod brackets above that rear window?
I just came to the same conclusion Roger. It seems that only 2 people on the forum have had leaks around the Belly band area. So I won't focus there.
I do not think there are snap caps on the curtain rod brackets. I believe they're after market, and I plan to replace them anyway. So I'll check that out tomorrow. good suggestion.
I had planned to cleanout the window weep holes today but when I looked at them, I didn't see any and thought they must not have them in my window style. Do you have the windows that tilt up? I'll look again tomorrow and look under the screen. I'm also sure the seals should be replaced as I don't think its ever been done. The good thing is the hardware is in good condition and none are missing. I read a thread where they had to be retooled to replace them. I prefer to keep the original window and not replace unless absolutely necessary.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
My 77 had no snap caps on any outside rivets when I got it. Did not appear that it ever had them. I have been slowly replacing rivets and doing so with snap caps. I applied a little drop of white liquid electrical tape to seal the rivets until I get them replaced.

I have the tilt up windows and they have weep holes, two small round holes a few inches in from each corner. Your lucky that all your hardware is good, the windows are great to use. but the latch brackets that the prop arm hinges on get broken. That was my problem, I made some new ones from aluminum that are working for now.

When I get around to a total window renew I'll look into getting a machine shop to machine a piece of aluminum angle to replace them with really solid ones. Or see if I can hit a friend up to use his bridgeport. But it's been 20 years since I did that sort of work. Can you say making scrap metal not parts?

The windows come out pretty easy for replacing that seal, you just open the window until the prop arms are hanging outside and remove the single screw in the center of the hinge. With screw out window slides out of hinge sideways when opened to about 90 degrees. Little lubricant in the hinge might help it come out smoother and certainly go in easier.

Donna provided me with a link to where one can get new rubber. I just used D shaped stick on foam seal from lowes or HD for now.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Can't speak for a Scamp but my '78 Trill leaked like a sieve from the roof vent, perimeter windows seals to the trailer and belly band.

The window leaks are likely from the seal to the trailer and not from the mechanism of the windows, but, you may want to look at that also. The wood holding my windows in was completely rotted out so I assumed the perimeter window to trailer seal was shot which it was and verified.

I had rusty stains on the lower benches & closet floor from belly band leaks and on the floor from the roof vent which were all verified (with window leaks) by sitting in the Trill sipping copious amounts of beer in a driving rain storm.

I suggest you buy a 12 pack and investigate one possible leak at a time in a driving rain storm to eliminate all options.

All of this is just speculation on my part for your Scamp, but, as the Spanke Family Motto States: "We may be wrong, but, were are never in doubt"

Good luck on your investigation!

Spanke
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #18

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I suggest you buy a 12 pack and investigate one possible leak at a time in a driving rain storm to eliminate all options.

All of this is just speculation on my part for your Scamp, but, as the Spanke Family Motto States: "We may be wrong, but, were are never in doubt"
I'll drink to that!
But hoping you're wrong and it's not the whole stinking trailer that's leaking.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The plastic on the cushion foam is often left on because it makes it easier to insert the foam into the fabric. I figured that out when I replaced the foam in my cushions... I re-used the plastic!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
My 77 had no snap caps on any outside rivets when I got it. Did not appear that it ever had them. I have been slowly replacing rivets and doing so with snap caps. I applied a little drop of white liquid electrical tape to seal the rivets until I get them replaced.
Roger, I took another look at my '77 today. It doesn't look like there were ever snap caps on mine either. I'm thinking they didn't come along until later. I'm going to look for that liquid elec tape and do the same with mine for now too. I just looked through your thread on refurbing your 77 Scamp. You did a great job.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #21

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The plastic on the cushion foam is often left on because it makes it easier to insert the foam into the fabric. I figured that out when I replaced the foam in my cushions... I re-used the plastic!
Mike, I sew and have recovered my outdoor cushions many times. Getting the new covers on the foam is like wrestling alligators. So I understand why it would help to leave the plastic on. I was going to take the plastic off, but until I get this leak problem figured out, they're staying. So far no musty smell in the SCAMP. That's my worst fear.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I used a small art paint brush to put the liquid electrical tape on the rivet head. The brush that is in the cap of the product is too wide and crude. Much like the brush you would find in rubber cement glue.

Needed a tiny brush so I could avoid making a mess.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #23

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Leak

How did you replace the sill to repair leaky window?

Thanks,
Emily