Is 'new' tire too old? Please help now - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro (Dance Hall Edition ''The Casbah'')
Is 'new' tire too old? Please help now

Greetings everyone,

I just bought two new tires for my burro from a well known online retailer who I will not name until this is resolved yet when I received the tires one was manufactured the 11th week of 2011 which is fine yet the other one was made on the 33 week of 2010 which I have issue with since I experienced what could have been a fatal blow out so I'm very concerned about the condition of the older manufactured tire.

Before purchasing I had read that trailer tires age even when in storage so I bought new tires because I wanted "New Tires' and not one that is nearly two years old.

So I am dealing with customer service and they want me to pay for return shipping which would be about 50 bucks considering the tire weighs 35 pounds because I bought it with new rims as well.

I feel that it is not my responsibility to pay to return the tire when they sent me one that is so old.

What I need from the forum is to know if I decide to lighten up and keep the 2010 tire which will be close to two years old will it lessen the life span and perhaps create an unsafe situation down the road. I will begin fulltiming in 30 days so I will be using the tires extensively.

I really would prefer to take the path of least resistance and just keep the tire yet at the same time I want to be safe.

What are your thoughts on tire aging in storage?

With much appreciation!

Laurie
Laurie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie T View Post
Greetings everyone,

I just bought two new tires for my burro from a well known online retailer who I will not name until this is resolved yet when I received the tires one was manufactured the 11th week of 2011 which is fine yet the other one was made on the 33 week of 2010 which I have issue with since I experienced what could have been a fatal blow out so I'm very concerned about the condition of the older manufactured tire.

Before purchasing I had read that trailer tires age even when in storage so I bought new tires because I wanted "New Tires' and not one that is nearly two years old.

So I am dealing with customer service and they want me to pay for return shipping which would be about 50 bucks considering the tire weighs 35 pounds because I bought it with new rims as well.

I feel that it is not my responsibility to pay to return the tire when they sent me one that is so old.

What I need from the forum is to know if I decide to lighten up and keep the 2010 tire which will be close to two years old will it lessen the life span and perhaps create an unsafe situation down the road. I will begin fulltiming in 30 days so I will be using the tires extensively.

I really would prefer to take the path of least resistance and just keep the tire yet at the same time I want to be safe.

What are your thoughts on tire aging in storage?

With much appreciation!

Laurie
To start with... The older tire is was built in the third week of August last year. it is now just one year and 3 months old.
Secondly, This whole thing about "Day old" tires, is greatly exaggerated and started with a 6 year window. You still have 4-3/4 years before you should start to be concerned. Tires in storage are generally not exposed to pressure, weight or UV rays anyway, and so are not aged at the same rate as installed tires.
My advice is to install it and not to worry about the age thing for at least 4 years. In the mean time, take good care of your tires, watch the pressure and storage techniques as well as your highway speeds.
Inspect them regularly for pressure, cracks, dry rot, lumps or irregular tread wear.
All of which would be needed regardless of age.
Don't worry, be informed!(and happy!)

BTW; That date thing applies to all DOT tires not just trailer tires, When were the tires on your car made?
Mine have a 90,000 mile warrenty, and have been on my car for 3-1/2 years. I rotate them and inspect them regularly, but have never checked their build date. Still at this rate I am guaranteed another 4 years of use from my supplier. If you want to hear something scary? there are recapped tires on Semis out there with carcasses older than some drivers!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
To start with... The older tire is was built in the third week of August last year. it is now just one year and 3 months old.
Secondly, This whole thing about "Day old" tires, is greatly exaggerated and started with a 6 year window. You still have 4-3/4 years before you should start to be concerned. Tires in storage are generally not exposed to pressure, weight or UV rays anyway, and so are not aged at the same rate as installed tires.
My advice is to install it and not to worry about the age thing for at least 4 years. In the mean time, take good care of your tires, watch the pressure and storage techniques as well as your highway speeds.
Inspect them regularly for cracks, dry rot, lumps or irregular tread wear.
Thank you! so much Floyd! It really is stressful to think that I was going to endanger myself by using those tires. For some reason it seemed with the date as it was stamped that they were 'really old'. Yet I just did the math and you are correct it seems they are only 1 year and 4 months old. I think I can deal with that.

So I want you to know I really appreciate you doing the math for me. Really puts things in perspective!

Warmly,

Laurie
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

Happy Birthday Floyd!

Hey Floyd, Just noticed that you share our Sagitarius birthday month as I was born on the 27th.

So here's wishing you a cornucopia of delight on the anniversary of your birth today!!

Warmly,

Laurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Inspect them regularly for pressure, cracks, dry rot, lumps or irregular tread wear.

BTW; That date thing applies to all DOT tires not just trailer tires, When were the tires on your car made?
Mine have a 90,000 mile warrenty, and have been on my car for 3-1/2 years. I rotate them and inspect them regularly, but have never checked their build date. Still at this rate I am guaranteed another 4 years of use from my supplier. If you want to hear something scary? there are recapped tires on Semis out there with carcasses older than some drivers!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie T View Post
Hey Floyd, Just noticed that you share our Sagitarius birthday month as I was born on the 27th.

So here's wishing you a cornucopia of delight on the anniversary of your birth today!!

Warmly,

Laurie
The date in my profile is incorrect, I'm a "Pisces" ( something fishy going on there!)

Anyway let's not let that take away from your special day....(belated)

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Laurie
Happy birthday to you.

Now I'm gonna get sued for copyright infringement
I sure hope my "build date" won't determine when we can no longer be friends?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Wow Floyd and here I was thinking you were so sweet to take time out of your birthday to help me out....my mistake!..laughing.

Seriously, you were my angel today and now that I don't have my tires to worry about, I can set my sites on selling everything that won't fit into the Burro so I will be ready to leave first week of Jan. to begin my new life of full-timing.

Celebrate Life!

Laurie
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Why not buy another one and specify you want a certain date range, that way if not the correct date, you have some recourse to refute the credit charge. That will get their attention. Use the older dated one as a spare. You should have bought 3 originally in lieu of the fact you will be full timing. Also pick up some tire covers for those sunny spots.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #8

Etrailer tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why not buy another one and specify you want a certain date range, that way if not the correct date, you have some recourse to refute the credit charge. That will get their attention. Use the older dated one as a spare. You should have bought 3 originally in lieu of the fact you will be full timing. Also pick up some tire covers for those sunny spots.
Thanks Jim for weighing in!

I will remember that for the next time! I have a decent spare yet I did ask them if in light of sending me the older tire if they would sell me a spare at cost and they wouldn't do that but they would ship it for free. I'm going to pass on that offer at the moment since the tires are rather expensive.

So I'm not sure I would buy my next tires at Etrailer even though their prices are good. After researching things it seems like tire rack has very good turnover in their sales so you are less likely to get a tire that is too old.

Yet, I'm sure this is an issue it's good for all of us to be aware of and believe me next time I will be prefacing my purchase with a 6 month old or less requirement.

With much appreciation,

Laurie
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I wouldn't be concerned at all about receiving a 1 year old - new tire. Earlier in the year, I replaced some 7-8 year old tires on my truck, though the tread was worn, had no cracks or any other problems. Keeping the tires covered helps with aging, and I would expect with any decent amount of traveling your tires will wear out before age becomes an issue.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote