Is Regular Tarp OK for Covering Scamp in Winter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Is Regular Tarp OK for Covering Scamp in Winter?

Hi Everybody,
I will shortly be the new proud owner of a 13' Scamp. I went to EBay for the cover several people have mentioned that was supposed to be decent, but the only covers listed now are for 16' Scamps. In light of not being able to afford one of those calmark covers, I wondered if it would be ok to cover the Scamp in say, a 30' Long by 20' wide regular, heavy duty tarp, perhaps running bungees through the grommets and underneath the trailer. Would this cause any condensation/sweating issues inside the unit or any other problems I should be concerned with? I don't want to leave her uncovered for the winter, as ours are pretty harsh up here in W. New York. Thank you and I hope to hear from you.
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Wholesale Car Covers Elite Guard Camper Cover fits Camper up to 13'6"-by-Wholesale-Car-Covers
Wholesale Car Covers Elite Guard Camper Cover fits Camper up to 13'6"-by-Wholesale-Car-Covers : Amazon.com : Automotive

A tarp isn't my first choice. Tend to shred easy, bleed color and are abrasive.
Only my opinion, that and a quarter won't buy a cup of coffee.
My cover is on it fifth season. You will be lucky to get one from a tarp.
Your spending a lot for your camper, a good cover is cheap in compairison.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Wendy Lee. I would use a tarp if I couldn't find anything else; but a cover would be better IMO. Don't forget to change your profile to Scamp instead of shopping.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's a basic problem with any against the trailer cover, abrasion. The effect is like taking sandpaper to the finish. Even with the lightweigt make for trailer covers if you don't make sure the trailer is really clean the wind movement will abrade the surface. Any debris that gets between the cover and the trailer will only make it worse.

I think if I couldn't find a way to make a carport type of cove I would leave out without a cover.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
I know Wendy was asking about a 13' but has anyone had any experience with the covers from Cover Giant?
Scamp Travel Trailer Covers Cover Giant

They're ~ $150 to $180.

Thanks,
Steve
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes. That was my FIRST and ONLY bought cover for my Scamp. It barely lasted a year and that wasnt without some serious Gorilla tape to nurse it along! As I just posted on another thread on this site earlier this week, I installed a carport. It was either that or my Scamp was for sale. I will NOT fool with another cover....unless it is for long term storage and a Calmark or equal that has a 5+ yr warranty. Uncovering/covering before/after every trip is ONE PAIN I wont forget and dont want to repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
I know Wendy was asking about a 13' but has anyone had any experience with the covers from Cover Giant?

They're ~ $150 to $180.

Thanks,
Steve
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you do choose to us a tarp or cover ( I personally choose to not use either) make sure you tie it down very securely. If part of it comes loose , it acts like a sail and the wind damage it will cause can be very significant.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I have seen Colorado snow , get it under a roof for the winter . snow load is a definite concern.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I might consider a tarp IF:

It did not have grommets - some of the good nylon tarps from Kelty and Kondos have fabric loops (stronger than grommets too). You think dirt will abrade you should see what a nice big grommet will do if whipped by the wind on a flapping tarp. Expect to pay $100 and don't expect years of use, tarps are not intended for 24/7 365 use.

I had a solid post, tree, or heavy bolted anchor point for a ridge line over the camper. Tent poles won't do the trick because poles being flung into camper by wind would be bad. If tarp is directly on the camper the abrasion factor exists AND it won't be shedding any snow load so run with a ridge line that keeps the tarp off the camper is a requirement.

I'm able to provide solid anchor points in the ground for all lines. Lines attached with bungee cord or other mechanism that has some "give" so the lines don't break and the tarp does not rip.

One can remove the grommets from a cheap poly tarp then use a ball to do tarp attachment. Sometimes called a monkey fist. I would not use a rock! But a rubber ball should work fine. Then at least if the tarp breaks free you don't have to worry about the grommet or pole beating the side of the camper.

I have actually given some thought to setting some 4x4 or 4x6 (groan heavy!) poles into holes with concrete to use as anchor points for a tarp. Still sort of at the mulling it over stage. Not the break out the post hole digger and get a grandkid to come over stage.

That is the one other method of attachment for a tarp I would consider pinning tarp edge between to pieces of framing lumber and screwing them together. Used all the time to lay poly tarp on unfinished roofs.

For now I'm going with the thing is water proof right? So why does it need to be indoors? I know I know it is better but.... need?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have to agree with you Darral about covers. My scamp goes uncovered, but decently waxed, all summer. It is such a pain to cover/uncover after every trip. In winter I have a storage facility.

Does your carport have sides Darral or just the roof?

I have the ebay cover. It's on the scamp now as I await storage. But only because camping is done for me this year. It's ok. I'd really prefer a carport, but $ prevents that right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
I have seen Colorado snow , get it under a roof for the winter . snow load is a definite concern.
We are also in Colorado...I've been thinking a LOT about this winter and snow load. Unfortunately, our HOA prohibits a camper parked in the drive, street or alongside the house. So Scamp is in a storage facility about 7 minutes from the house. We use a camper cover while in storage, snugging it down tight and I go over once a week to check and see that all is well. Currently our plan is to go over and scoop snow from the top should we get a heavy snow. I would LOVE to have it in the garage or covered storage.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #12

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
The nice thing about snow in Colorado is that *generally* it's only going to be 2-3x a year that it's a big issue. It's semi-arid/high desert around here in general, and most of winter is dry and cold. Of course, it does dump 6-8 inches when it decides to...
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #13

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
The nice thing about snow in Colorado is that *generally* it's only going to be 2-3x a year that it's a big issue. It's semi-arid/high desert around here in general, and most of winter is dry and cold. Of course, it does dump 6-8 inches when it decides to...
So true! One of the things I love is how quickly it can melt off! A storm like this past May that damaged all of the trees so badly are the ones that I worry about. I was out every hour shaking branches, trying to keep the snow load off. I'd have to spend the night in the Scamp to do the same. Which might be kinda fun
Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
So, even though some have said that the covers aren't that well made and a PITA, I'm thinking that's the route I'm going to go. My house has a cement slab behind a fence right next to the 2 story house with no large trees over head. Fairly well protected. Guess I'll wait and come October put it on and get out there with a broom if need be.
Question: Here's the 2 URL's, one for ebay and one for Giant Cover. The Giant Cover doesn't have a door but is lined with a soft material. Thoughts?

Deluxe Scamp 16' Travel Trailer camper Cover w Zipper Door Access | eBay

SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #15

Colorado
Registry
Ours is very similar to the first one. I love having the door access. It's nice to be able to easily get inside any time I need to, which is surprisingly more than I ever thought I would! We've had ours for about a year and it's holding up remarkably well.

Tags
scamp