Is the Casita awning for rain? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #29

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2016 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Mississippi
Decided to do without the awning!

We just returned from visiting Casita in Rice and ordering our 17 ft Spirit. The awning was the one extra we kept going back and forth on but we decided to do without it. We live in the south and there are a lot of scattered thunderstorms and rain here -- rain would be the main use of our awning. We decided that something with sides and a sloped top might serve us better (the Clam). We'll see -- I'm sure it'll be fine. Thank you so much everyone for your input -- what a great supportive community!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Valerie! When is the "hatching"?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #31

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Congratulations, Valerie! When is the "hatching"?
Our lil' egg is due on August 31! Luckily we put a $2,000 deposit on it a while back to get that delivery date -- otherwise if we had waited until we ordered it on Friday delivery would have been October 31 I believe. If we can get an appointment at LHC we'll head there for a few mods before going home. It did just occur to me that it could be hot as hades in Texas at that time and it could be a bad initiation to camping for my already reluctant hubby!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Is the Casita awning for rain?

Beware of travel on Labor Day weekend, too. Delaying pickup a few weeks into September would avoid peak summer crowds.

It might still be pretty hot (and humid) in Texas, though. Perhaps a "semi-camping experience" for the trip home- a nice restaurant for dinner, park the trailer, turn on AC, relax with electronic entertainment until you turn in.

Don't know how sensitive you are, but there will be some outgassing in a new build. Ideally you'd sleep with lots of ventilation during the first months. Something else to think about...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #33

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Beware of travel on Labor Day weekend, too. Delaying pickup a few weeks into September would avoid peak summer crowds.

It might still be pretty hot (and humid) in Texas, though. Perhaps a "semi-camping experience" for the trip home- a nice restaurant for dinner, park the trailer, turn on AC, relax with electronic entertainment until you turn in.

Don't know how sensitive you are, but there will be some outgassing in a new build. Ideally you'd sleep with lots of ventilation during the first months. Something else to think about...
That sounds like a good plan Jon -- the minimal camping experience. We can try everything out to make sure it all works but otherwise just sleep in the Casita but not spend all day sitting there (or cooking) in the Texas heat! I really don't know if I'm sensitive to the outgassing or not. Can you run the a/c and have windows or the ceiling fan/vent open?
I had not even realized it was Labor Day weekend. That is sobering. I'll check and see if we can delay a week! Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #34

Arizona
Registry
Is the Casita awning for rain?

You could probably have windows and vents partially open. Not really sure, though.

Another option, since you are fairly close, is to hightail it home this time and return later in the year when the weather is nicer. Texas has some beautiful parks, and you could schedule your LHC work then (and perhaps a return to Casita for any little adjustments that might be needed). In the meantime you could air it out thoroughly and shake down all the systems with "driveway camping" or short trips close to home.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #35

Mississippi
Ok, thanks for the wake-up call from Jon who reminded me that we had scheduled our Casita pick-up for a date that would leave us driving home over Labor Day weekend! I've contacted Jonathan and we've rescheduled our pick-up for the next week, Sept. 7. While it was hard to add one more week when I want it so badly, avoiding our first towing experience falling on Labor Day weekend makes it worthwhile. Waiting right now to hear if LHC can fit us in on the 8th. Jon - while a 12 hour drive might sound short to you it's farther than I want to have to drive back to do the mods. Our family and friends are in the east from North Carolina and Tennessee down to south Florida so heading back to Texas probably isn't in the cards. So hopefully we can get things taken care of on this one trip to Texas. We'll just deal with the heat. And try not to asphyxiate ourselves with the fumes
Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Gotta do whatcha gotta do! Best wishes! Exciting time!

Tags
awning, casita