Is the shag carpet on my walls original? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp
The roof vent is leaking on my casita. Has been all winter, apparently. The shag carpet on the walls is falling in really badly, since it's been wicking moisture all over, and I'm trying to decide whether to replace it or glue it back up. Most references that I can find here about removing carpet claim that it's a really hard, nasty job, but this stuff is coming off all over, mostly because the foam on the underside is giving way. So is this original? I'm starting to wonder...

And what do I replace it with? Indoor/outdoor carpeting, I guess?
Laura Heiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'm sure the carpet is original. We had a lot of great discussions early on about replacing the wall carpets. Unfortunately, a lot of it was lost when we were hijacked. It can be done, but it's not for the faint of heart.

If the carpet is dried and not stained, then I vote for gluing it back up. Go to the automotive store and look for a product that is used for glueing up headliners. I tried other types of glue on my '89, but didn't have much luck. This is a spray, but it's very controlable and really does work. Follow the directions on the can and you're good to go. I'll check later and see what brand it is, see if I can locate it on the web and post the name and picture.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Okay, I found it. As I mentioned, this spray is controlable. You can adjust the spray width and it's non-misting. It has a different type spray head with also helps in the control.

3M Adhesive
Attached Thumbnails
adhesive.jpeg  
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via AIM to Slocamper
Quote:
The roof vent is leaking on my casita. Has been all winter, apparently. The shag carpet on the walls is falling in really badly, since it's been wicking moisture all over, and I'm trying to decide whether to replace it or glue it back up. Most references that I can find here about removing carpet claim that it's a really hard, nasty job, but this stuff is coming off all over, mostly because the foam on the underside is giving way. So is this original? I'm starting to wonder...

And what do I replace it with? Indoor/outdoor carpeting, I guess?
I have completely removed the carpeting from a fiberglass trailer in the past and installed new carpet. It is the biggest job I've ever done. I had the shag carpet which I think was standard at the time and it was UGLY. It is a big job to remove it and remember you will have to remove all cupboards and interior walls to get it out and then install them again after replacing the carpet. The glue I used was CONTACT Cement from the hardware store. I used the old type (that smells more so use ventilation) not the new environmental safe type that doesn't stick as well. One thing for sure you better get a wet vaccuum and get the water out if you don't like the smell of mildew.
Slocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp
Thanks for the input. I was able to track down some of the old discussions from this board, but not as much as I would have liked. My father-in-law talked me down from replacing everything, so now I've just pulled down the ceiling and am working on the closet. The carpet was _soaked_ and came off with barely a tug. I'm just working around the cabinetry now, hoping to just tuck the ends of the new stuff under them. The closet has always smelled wierd, and it, too, is drenched, so it's going to go as well. I'm waiting on a new vent (with a fan this time) which ought to take care of most of the leakage problem. I don't want to put the old stuff back up; the trailer's always smelled a bit moldy, and I bet it's that.

I wanted to replace it with carpet that didn't have the foam backing, but the indoor/outdoor stuff I can find doesn't want to bend very well, so I'm a little leery of even trying it. The cheap home despot remnants I can find look an awful lot like the old stuff, so I suppose I ought to just replace it with that. But it would be sooo nice to find something less fluffy! Any ideas? There are some inexpensive dorm rugs that might work - do I really need the foam backing?

I notice the caps have popped off a bunch of rivets on the outside. Is there anything I can to to weatherproof aside from drilling them out? Maybe rivets aren't that hard, but they worry me...
Laura Heiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
If you want to replace, I'd vote for automotive panel carpet. It comes in several colors, is flexible and fairly stretchy in all directions and is made from some man-made fiber (perhaps polyolefin) that doesn't soak up water and support mildew/mold well.

It's also light weight. I see it at home centers.

If you really want to get classy, go to your favorite book store, library or marine supply and get a book on yacht interiors. Go to the index of the book and find the section that the yacht people call "ceiling". It's not quite what you think, using the more common definition of the word. But if you've ever been aboard a 'real yacht' you'll know what I'm talking about when you see the picture.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If it was me I'd opt for a marine material, like Scamp's rat fur. Which by the way can be purchased from Scamp.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I've never seen a newer Scamp with the "Rat Fur" interior. All have been the older ones with the ensolite insulation.

But if what Scamp is using presently is from the marine industry, I'd also consider it strongly before I did anything.

Almost always the marine folks have the best stuff, I've found. It's pricy, but usually worth it in the long run. If you can get it from Scamp, you probably have a winner.

Now if you can find some easy way to roll your Casita over on its back, let us know. It would be a lot easier do the job using gravity as an assistant.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Patriot 13 ft and Airstream Safari Sport 17 ft
I took everything out, then replaced the factory carpet with marine carpet purchased at Lowes. Tricky job, but not impossible. I also wondered about turning the Casita over and letting gravity help, but finally managed to do the job without going topsy turvey. The carpet I bought was the backless type and I glued it directly to the inside wall. I never could get used to the factory carpet but stayed with it until the stuff started to separate from the ceiling.
JD Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
I'd have to agree about getting rid of the shag carpet. It's great for an area rug, but to live with it on my walls...no thanks. My Lovebug has the ensolite on the walls. When I got her, I cleaned it all and then painted it and looks great. What I like about the ensolite is the ability to wipe it clean. The light ivory I went with also lightened the trailer a lot.

Much has been said about the rhino liner on the exterior, it's give a rough appearance like the ensolite, it's durable, it's flexible, one can apply it themselves, and it comes in a lot of colors.

Wouldn't that be an option? Painting it on seems a lot easier than trying to get carpet up into those valleys!

I found a webpage with a bunch of photos of different applications. Apparently, this is a poly product. I've seen references to rolling it on but have yet to find any specs.

http://www.rhinoliningsofspokane.com/photos.htm

And, another showing the use of it on the inside of a truck. This product can be rolled on or comes in spray cans in a variety of colors. I'm actually thinking about for my cabinets in the camper. It would have a nice texture, easy to clean. Now, to locate some!

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/truckbedliner.htm

Good luck! I'm also from the warmer side of Minnesota! I'll be on the lookout for a Casita!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Bigfoot
What makes the application of new carpeting so difficult? Maybe I'm naive, but it would seem to me that applying carpet would actually be easier than applying vinyl or some other hard-surface. Am I off?
SandraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
I think carpet would be easier then vinyl cause it can hide the seams. Applying anything up over your head is difficult in my opinion and carpet is heavy.

I like the spray on stuff idea. wonder if it is a good insulator? I have ensolate in Buttercup, but she still gets hot with the A/C running and sitting in July sun. Carrying a tree to put her under sounds a little challenging.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I think carpet would be easier then vinyl cause it can hide the seams. Applying anything up over your head is difficult in my opinion and carpet is heavy.
The "rat fur" Scamp uses is doesn't have the weight of carpet. I was surprised at how light it is.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Some industrial low pile indoor outdoor stuff can be pretty light in comparison the what went in these trailer.

How about Felt? Ultra light, pliable, and endless colors can be had.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote