Is there a inexpensive way to make an awning for a 13 foot camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: WILL
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul 13 foot
Minnesota
Is there a inexpensive way to make an awning for a 13 foot camper

I am just wondering if anyone knows a way to make an inexpensive awning for a 13 foot eggshell camper. I am sure there are people out there that are much more creative than me that might know how to do this. Please let know.

Thank you
willwheelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
some friends use an easy-up awning (available at walmart as well as many other stores). another friend uses a patio umbrella (the kind that inserts into a round weight on the ground). pretty inexpensive and serve as shade on the door and fridge.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
walmart Sams carries your favorite college football team neat!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We installed an awning rail, ordered a custom "rope & pole" type awning, didn't like it, sold it and bought a bag awning. Some people have made an awning out of a cheap tarp, sewed on the piece that slides into the rail, made or bought poles, and went with that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Ours is made from rip stop fabric with Velcro sewed on one edge. We use 6- 8" pieces of industrial Velcro stuck to the trailer. There are two telescoping poles with guys. The Velcro on the trailer lasts about 2 years. To remove I use Goo Gone, a hair dryer, a dull putty knife, and Acetone for the residue. Takes about 1/2 hour with no damage to the trailer. Cost less than $50 including the poles.
Attached Thumbnails
_20171002_182738.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
rope and pole - no drilling - vhb tape is all.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Start with a PVC extruded awning rail (VHB tape mount) or two or three:

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

Then sew a covering to a an awning rope:

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

Poke some corner holes for poles, get some poles, tiedown ropes, stakes, and you're all done........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Yep, we're the Klampett's

We are the ones who use a cheap plastic tarp.

Our '78 Trillium 4500 came with an awning rail. I rebedded it to prevent any leaks.

Bought an elcheapo translucent polypropylene tarp that has brass eyes all the way around.

I used to have a sailboat and used some old sail slides mounted in the eyes on one side to slide into the awning track.

A couple of poles and guy ropes at the corners do the trick, and an extra pole to help keep the rain from pooling really helps.

Is it perfect - no. Far from it. But the tarp is big enough to protect a lot of space, and yes, it was cheap.

The poles that we have been using were about 40 years old, I think that they were from an old nylon tent that I used to have. We just replaced them this summer with brand new ones...
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Some people do it with items from Harbor Freight. They buy a couple of the big suction cup clamps that were made for picking up sheets of window glass. Those are used to hold the awning onto the top of the trailer. Then they get a tarp for the awning material and of course some rope and stakes. For poles you can go to a hardware store and get the telescoping poles used with paint rollers. You might need to install some larger diameter grommets for the tip of the poles to fit through. It is also possible to order poles made for tents or awning supports from the internet. Just go to Ebay and type in "awning poles" and you will see lots of them for sale.

There are examples of people making awnings such as this on this forum. However I am do not have time to track those postings down this morning.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #10

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
You know what? I use the old adage whatever floats your boat!!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairemr1 View Post
some friends use an easy-up awning (available at walmart as well as many other stores). another friend uses a patio umbrella (the kind that inserts into a round weight on the ground). pretty inexpensive and serve as shade on the door and fridge.
We have had both a bag awning and a Dometic on our 13’ Scamps (one standard and one deluxe), as well as an umbrella, and rarely used them because of the hassles of setting them up, as well as how little shade they offer because of their size, and windy conditions/gusts limited their useage. We now use a CLAM screened room with optional rain flaps. This affords us protection from insects, sun, wind, rain, and cold, as we also put a small portable propane fire pit inside it. It take less than 2 minutes to put it up (a little longer if you stake it down) and slightly longer to take it down and stuff it back into the storage bag.
Best of luck with what works for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I used para cord, 1/4 inch aluminum tube, and washers to make hangers for an awning track.

Here is a site with directions on making the hangers. Make your own Awning Track Hangers | PopUpPortal

I found they allow me to use any tarp with either grommets or loops. Bought an awning track in aluminum and attached with 3M VHB tape.

I use it two ways. I have a large 10 x 12 nylon tarp that is longer than the camper. I run the middle tarp attachments in the track and have a pole at the front and back of camper about a foot beyond the camper. Then 4 poles on the outside edge. Whole picnic table will fit, with stove stand, and room for folding chairs. The poles in front and back of camper are in line with the track and take some of the load. Lake Michigan breezes not a problem.

The other way I use those anchors is with a 7 x 8 cheap poly tarp, that is shorter than the track which is 7'6". Only use 3 outer poles. Not as much room but faster to set up and less "sail" area. Had that set up in Wyoming recently and it was taking a lot of wind. If it rips I don't care, cost $5 at Walmart to replace it.

One issue with smaller tarp is you have to add a line with a large knot going from end of track to end grommets. Otherwise the awning tends to slide to the center a bit and won't stay tight. Large tarp has the two poles on the corners that extend beyond the track so it isn't a problem keeping the trailer side of the tarp tight.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #13

Michigan
I will also mention Marti's awning. Not as cheap as my tarps but widely reported to be very good awnings at a fair price.

Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings

I will say no ez up type awning I have owned has ever lasted more than a couple or three years. 80# steel leg Coleman was flattened at Algonac rally.

If not level many pop up awnings will collect water on the high side along the bottom edge. This cause covering to sag, which collects more water. Have known them to collapse in a drizzle from accumulated water weight. If yours does this water collection then get a grommet kit (harbor freight for sure Walmart maybe), put a grommet "drain hole" two or three inches back from the edge. Yes it will dribble water BUT that beats collapsing.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #14

Name: River
Trailer: Perris Pacer
Oregon
Registry
I posted my awning hack here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rro-81719.html it was cheap and easy and utilizes a tarp.
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Roger, we've had a 10'x10' straight-leg First-Up (E-Z Up clone) for 10 years, including 5 seasons of Scamping (15-20 days/year). The top has developed pinholes due to UV degradation, but the frame is still solid. We usually set it up away from the trailer, stake it well, and remove the top when it gets windy. I like having the kitchen away from the bedroom, so to speak.

An added bonus is the packed awning makes a very secure bicycle rack. I put the awning on the front sofa of the Scamp and flip the bicycle upside down with the handlebar and frame bungeed to the awning. It's surprisingly solid.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	112179Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	112180

That said, it's heavy (maybe 50 pounds) and cumbersome to transport and set up (easier with all four of us working together). It's fine when we travel somewhere, set up for a week, and come straight home, but there's no way I would take it touring from place to place.

We're in the planning stages for a Pacific Coast tour up to BC, so I have my eye out for an 8'x8' freestanding dome awning that I could modify with a keder welt to attach to an awning rail on the trailer. Looking for something lightweight and packable with fiberglass arch poles to shed water. If you had a pattern and a good sewing machine, you might make your own. It requires cutting and joining four panels to create a tight arch, so it's not quite a beginner's project like a flat awning.

Alternatively, I may just spring for a Shady Boy. It's self-storing and fairly wind-resistant, but it doesn't make a tight seal with the trailer in the rain. Not thrilled about the box hanging on the trailer, either.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #16

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I bought a "Shade maker ". It is 6"s to long It Has a track that mounts to my Bigfoot 13'. I let it extend 3"s each end. can not really see it. We put one on my friends Scamp he loves it. It is in a sleeve, or one might call it a bag; zippered from each end. One person can put it in place. when it is unrolled the legs fold out of the left to right front u shaped channel, held in with Velcro they fold down, a pin lets them extend to the ground. another different U channel in the same front horizontal support, lets an extension out that runs along the each side side of the canopy, back to the track attached to the trailer. It goes into a clamp screwed to the trailer it is now set. It has a center support that runs back to the trailer. All put in place by one person. ropes at the corners to the ground. Had it 7 years works like new. Travel with it in place, have left it on some winters. It slides in and out of the track,by one person. been putting it in the garage, my wife thinks it is a smarter thing to do. duh. Bought in on the web I don't remember where. We bought a screen that surrounds all 4 sides; trailer side cut out for door; stops things from going under trailer. (mosquitoes, etc.) did not buy screen from Shade Maker. Where ? I think it was from a local tent maker,boat cover co.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #17

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
my canopy " Shade Maker" with center support, front to back, has had 8"s of hail on it at 8.5 thousand feet. It did sag each side, pushed it over the front edge. was very difficult to do. The front legs can be angled front to back, lowered on one side or the other any height down to the pin 3' off the ground; I wouldn't do this. I am not a Shade Maker sales person.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #18

Michigan
Jon I think the part about taking the cover off is required if the weather is very stormy. Ours got nailed by a wind sheer line that nailed a few in a path about 3 sites wide. Even people with crank out awnings pulled in short took damage. Ours pulled stakes on the anchor lines & folded the steel plate on the bottom of each foot since those stakes didn't pull loose. Our flat foot on the legs pointed down when we stood it back up. Some of the steel pieces snapped.

The steel Coleman was the best I have found so far, the supports going to the center had an arch so no water collection issue. Really heavy duty and sturdy. Set on couch I was 100% sure not to be nose lite and tail heavy :-)

I'm really wanting something with flexible poles like a dome tent so it "gives" in the wind without breaking or tearing. Pops back into place once the wind gust fades. I cook outdoors most of the time, spend much of my time outside the camper so really want to have something I can leave up. Even if not all that large.

Took my 7 x 8 tarp down in Wyoming but the wind was at ~40 mph and while nothing was breaking the whole trailer would jerk in the gusts. Safe than sorry won. Next morning the wind died and it rained. I was tres` annoyed.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
...I'm really wanting something with flexible poles like a dome tent so it "gives" in the wind without breaking or tearing. Pops back into place once the wind gust fades. I cook outdoors most of the time, spend much of my time outside the camper so really want to have something I can leave up. Even if not all that large...
Sounds exactly like what I am looking for as well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:12 AM   #20

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
For our Little Joe, we use a simple and inexpensive portable awning called King Kamp. Compact, very light weight, and simple to put up and take down. Takes up very little space while travelling.

I attach it to either the side of the Little Joe, or the rear. Very versatile.

Here is one of them on Ebay: Waterproof, Multifunction Compass Auto Camping/ Traveling Tent/Shade | eBay

And here are some reviews from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/KingCamp-COMP...ews/B01LPHRZ18
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning