Is there Any Value in the CSA stickers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
I am about to repaint the outside of my '79 boler. On the side, are two extremely faded CSA stickers. You can barely make them out, but they are there. On the front, there is a metallic sticker from the government of BC approving the Gas installation. This sticker is in shambles. Keeping them and painting around them would not do a new paint job justice. The CSA stickers are not worth trying to remove. The BC sticker, I could remove if it was valuable.

Anyone have some insight or experience as to whether there is still value in having these remain? Where or when would I be sorry if I had removed them?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Kevin.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I don't know what CSA stands for because I'm not Canadian. Your question made me think of the earlier post behind this link.

If that has nothing to do with your situation, then I would just go ahead and remove the stickers.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
CSA is the governing safety agency for Canada. Most products imported or for sale new in Canada must comply with the standards.

The sticker only has value for the first import and/or sale. Used items are not really governed by CSA, to my knowledge. (Tho, it'd the gubmint.. who knows)

I would not worry about them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
On a 1976 trailer I wouldn't worry about it. CSA is the Canadian Standards Association, I know that elctrical devices sold in Canada much meet CSA standards, primarily for safety. Those standards are constantly changing and any electrical wiring on a 30 year old trailer and it's appliances probably wouldn't meet current CSA standards.

Just for grins look at any electric device you have around and you'll probably see both the CSA logos. I just looked at the bottom of my keyboard and my mouse. Yup they're there.

I don't have any idea what the BC is.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Take a couple of closeup digital photos of the stickers and print the best one, plus a photo of the trailer with the sticker place showing, and put both photos with your trailer papers.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I believe that I have the same stickers; however, of the two round stickers on the side, only one is for the CSA, while the other is for the Canadian Recreational Vehicles Association (CRVA). I personally doubt that there is any legal requirement for the CRVA compliance, and in my case only the CRVA name around the outside is visible - the rest is just white now.

The CSA isn't actually a government body, but many government regulations require compliance with CSA standards. While CSA approvals are most commonly seen on electrical appliances, in this case (at least on my B1700), the sticker indicates compliance with standard Z240, as a Recreational Vehicle - Single Axle Trailer or Slide-In Camper.

I agree that is unlikely that any of the stickers is needed after the original sale.

The BC gas system approval indicates to me that Kevin's Boler is from the Winfield B.C. plant of Vanguard Trailers, like mine.

Pete's idea makes a lot of sense to me. I have photos of my stickers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Thanks for your feedback folks. I will get pictures. I just wasn't sure if there would be value in them for instance when getting on a ferry or something.

Thanks Again.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
My Confederate States of America sticker is good for extra-large helpings of BBQ at roadside stands during Southern trips.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
If you are REALLY attached to them, I have them coming out my ears at work.

Nice little orangy roundy sunburst looking ones and nice classy silvery squarish ones.

Of course, if the safety police stop you, run the codes on the stickers and demand to know where you got someone elses paid for labels, I will deny all knowledge.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
CSA is for all things Canadian, not just Electrical, it is also a commonly forged sticker or logo unfortunately with some devastating effects. Many cheap import products have been showing up on the marketplace lately bearing fake stickers. In at least one case I know of, a boy was electrocuted by an improperly wired power bar, bearing a faked sticker.

For electrical warnings in Canada, check out Ontario Hydro safety site.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
One more thing which I forgot to note: registration numbers.

The BC gas approval has a clear registration number, a stamped 5-digit sequence which is unrelated to other numbers on the trailer. I don't know if it is unique to the unit (unlikely, at only 5 digits), or if it identifies some sort of registration of the manufacturer.

The CSA sticker has a box labeled "Issue", which I guess likely contained some sort of identifying number, but it no longer has legible information. Here, I really doubt that it would be unique to my trailer, as it is probably just a reference to the registration of Vanguard with CSA; my guess it that there was a handwritten number there. At least in the electrical appliance field, CSA does not inspect every unit of equipment bearing their approval, only sample units and manufacturing processes.

In either case, I can't imagine a law enforcement officer expecting to read such a number and look it up somewhere to see if my trailer is compliant with some rule.

I still like the idea of keeping the information, such as in the form of a photo. If I were seriously polishing the gelcoat, or painting, I would just remove the stickers and not replace them, but as long as they don't look bad (other than faded) I'm keeping them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, registration, title