Is there one brand that's better quality than the others? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We got an extensive factory tour given by the president of the company at Egg Camper. Every contact we've had with the factory, either in person, by email, or on the phone was with him.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #16

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Having had more than my share of these so far I have to say that they are all more alike than different,much more alike!

They all use the same cheapo RV sub-systems and fixtures and though there may be differences in the techniques and details of construction they seem mire subtle to me than the difference between all Eggs and all Stick built or more conventional units.

Honestly I think the older units were built with more care and attention to detail as with a lot of things we try to buy Today.

A lot of the "Shortcuts" in manufacturing and fasteners didn't have mainstream acceptance back then and people in general took more pride in craftsmanship and were not rushed along as they are now.

As an example my first 2 were Trilliums from the 70's and they were just more nicely built than I think they are Today and the quality seemed consistent throughout.

So my suggestion is to just get inside as many units as you can and see if one calls to you more than another,you will know when you find it.

I still do.

Ed

Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The best trailer is the one you pick out to own.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You might also consider that most 4 litre 6bangers are not going to exactly "run away" with a trailer over 3000 lb. They may be rated for 5K but the rec is to take 80% of that as a realistic limit (say 4Klb). A Scamp 19' 5er Deluxe might be pretty close to that 80% limit by the time you add your rubber ducky, Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples in 3 vol., etc.

jack

Thanks Jack. You're right, I certainly don't want to have my truck maxed out all the time. I agree that 80% of the rating is a good target to consider in weight/power, etc.

My truck, a 12 Nissan Frontier Kingcab 4x4 V6 has the highest load/tow rating as well as highest hp/tq in it's class (spell that....worst mpg in it's class. That's the trade off).

VQ40DE 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
261 hp @ 5,600 rpm
281 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm

1,524 lb. payload and 6,300 lb. towing capacity.

Taking all this into consideration, I believe I'd be OK with a SCAMP 5th wheel.

Everybody's replys have already given us a number of things to consider.

A bit more info. from our interest. We're "travelers", not really "campers" (yet). I believe it'd be rare for us to spend more than a night or two in one location.

For a number of years we travel a three day weekend or a week or more staying in a different hotel each night. Loading and unloading each night, expense of hotels, expense of restaurants three times a day, etc. has us considering a small fiberglass trailer instead. Is there something that we're not taking into consideration here?

Somebody mentioned that it's a sellers market and I'm surprised at that. I would think it's a buyers market since trailers are discreationary purchase (the first to go south in a bad economy) rather than a necessity purchase. It appears to me that there are a lot of fiberglass trailers for sale and that they're going, in some cases far below what the seller is asking. I've been watching them on ebay and crigslist, as well as several web sites, trying to educate myself a bit as to what I can expect for the $$.

However, the 5th wheel Scamp is a bit more, even used.....so may have to raise my budget just a bit if we go that direction.

We're going to Dan's Trailer Rentals in Woodland, Ca. later today to look at two Scamp trailers that he has (13' and 16') for rent. We're looking at renting one or the other to rent for a week in Sept. That'll be our betta test for a fiberglass trailer vs. hotels.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The best trailer is the one you pick out to own.

Now you're scarring m. This statement reminds me of my boat owner's exeriences of years gone by.

They say the best two days of a boat owner's life is.....the day he buys his boat......and the day he sells it.

I sure hope that isn't the same with fiberglass trailers. My wife has already asked me that question......will it be the same as the boats? Although we both miss our last boat, we're not ready to jump back off in to that again.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post

Somebody mentioned that it's a sellers market and I'm surprised at that. I would think it's a buyers market since trailers are discreationary purchase (the first to go south in a bad economy) rather than a necessity purchase. It appears to me that there are a lot of fiberglass trailers for sale and that they're going, in some cases far below what the seller is asking. I've been watching them on ebay and crigslist, as well as several web sites, trying to educate myself a bit as to what I can expect for the $$.
Hello JC and welcome. New fiberglass trailers are sold factory direct. All the manufacturers have waiting lists. Used ones up for sale sell quickly, in some cases selling for much more than there original price. When a seller asks $6000 for a 80's vintage trailer and gets $4500 remember that trailer might have been $3500 or less new. Good hunting, Raz
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
For a wide interior look at Bigfoot more than an extra foot of width than the rest.
Build top of the line.
Bigfoot: 95" O.D. width

Escondido Burro: 94" O. D. width (Sac City "wide bodies" similar)

Eggcamper: 88" (not clear if interior or exterior)

Casita is a narrow little guy but I can imagine roads where that would be a distinct advantage. I like the nominally 8' wide trailers. Our Burro bed: 87" X 56". Table in forward dinette: 31" X 30". Width helps for slashbys in the passageway. We use the johnny as a "siding"; I go in the restroom; my wife highballs thru!

jack
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
JC, I think you might be on the correct end of the price and size range to find "motivated" sellers. It seems to me that there's a fabulous demand for and premium on the 13s in trying economic times (analogous to compact cars). A Scamp 19' is a heavier animal, more expensive initially, more expensive to pull, so would tend to mean a bit more in terms of reduction of debt and ongoing expense at sale time. Also have to look at the demographic of age as well as economic means. Big dollar recreation really BELONGS to the economically secure. Many who are "secure" (meet the means test) are also in their "golden" yrs., which yrs. however golden are certainly fleeting and short. These trailers will come to sale in a reasonable number of yrs. and their "value" will generally not be overestimated by the seller because of a premium on the logistics and timing of "life changes."

jack
Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
We would use the microwave from time to time however,.... I think we'd also want a toilet with a shower. ............That would allow us to have a bed full time, as well as a dining area full time.
An Escape 17' or 19' or 5.0 would also give you all of the above.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #24

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I don't have good input as to what's better than what, but I'm super glad to hear that lots of makes have assembly-quality issues. I usually say that my Burro was likely put together by a drunk person, and it's somehow strangely comforting that we're not alone. But I love my crooked little trailer with its fuzzy-trapezoidal cabinet cut-outs.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Buyer's Checklist, which you can download from our Document Center. Since you're interested in "pre-owned" you might want to give the BC a look, and maybe take it with you when you go to evaluate a prospect.

Good luck with your quest!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Buyer's ,Checklist, which you can download from our Document Center.
My intention was to mention that, but thought I would link it, then I got looking at another post and my pea brain forgot to come back and link it.. Thanks Mary for posting it!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Now you're scarring m. This statement reminds me of my boat owner's exeriences of years gone by.

They say the best two days of a boat owner's life is.....the day he buys his boat......and the day he sells it.

I sure hope that isn't the same with fiberglass trailers. My wife has already asked me that question......will it be the same as the boats? Although we both miss our last boat, we're not ready to jump back off in to that again.
Nah, don't be scared. I just meant that when folks settle on a brand or model of egg, they usually love it and in their minds it becomes the best one out there.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #28

Name: Laura & Rick
Trailer: Had an Escape 21 ft
Washington
JCZ,

You didn't mentioned what part of California you are from. If you are in the Northern part, you should consider going to the Oregon Gathering next week. You'll see almost every trailer brand and configuration and talk with the owners.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5-a-48837.html

Personally, Escape is the best, especially if you want customized features. And the factory owners are first class and really care.