Is there one brand that's better quality than the others? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #29

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post

In buying a used trailer with absolutely no previous trailer experience, is there anything in particular that I should be looking at or looking out for?

I'm probably like anybody else, I want one with the axel reversed (higher ground clearence so as not to drag going in and out of gas stations, dirt roads, etc.) and all the bells and whistles.

what are the top five "must have" for each of you?
Mary F. mentioned the "Buyer's Checklist." That's always the first place to start. To expand on that, and to more directly answer your 1st question, I submit in no particular order of importance:
  • Leaky Windows: Putty tape used as gasket between metal window frame and fiberglass body can dry out
  • Popped Rivets: body flexing can dislodge a rivet holding body components together
  • Missing Rivet Cap: plastic cover for rivet head may expose rivet to failure
  • Rotten wood floor: years of neglected cumulative water leaking from the above 3 conditions is the major cause... road splash- not so much
  • Curved Door Sag
  • Previous Owners "Improvements": they may have liked them, you might have to undo them
  • Worn out axle: Internal rubber components of Torsion Type axle deteriorate with age (not to be confused with a Leaf Spring Axle)

My 5 Must Haves, in order of importance:
  1. Good quality mattress/cushions no matter what size
  2. Toilet with Black holding tank
  3. Shower with Water Heater
  4. Propane + 110 volt (4 cu. ft. or larger) Refrigerator
  5. Propane Heater

Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #30

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Scamp is the best! Everyone knows that ! Duh
well.....yeah....duh.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Mary F. mentioned the "Buyer's Checklist." That's always the first place to start. To expand on that, and to more directly answer your 1st question, I submit in no particular order of importance:
  • Leaky Windows: Putty tape used as gasket between metal window frame and fiberglass body can dry out
  • Popped Rivets: body flexing can dislodge a rivet holding body components together
  • Missing Rivet Cap: plastic cover for rivet head may expose rivet to failure
  • Rotten wood floor: years of neglected cumulative water leaking from the above 3 conditions is the major cause... road splash- not so much
  • Curved Door Sag
  • Previous Owners "Improvements": they may have liked them, you might have to undo them
  • Worn out axle: Internal rubber components of Torsion Type axle deteriorate with age (not to be confused with a Leaf Spring Axle)

5. Propane Heater
This is huge......the kind of things an inexperienced trailer owner needs to have drawn to his/her attention. Thanx a bunch for posting these tips!

On another note....we went to Dan's Trailer Rentals in Woodland, Ca. on July 4th. Had an opretunity to see first hand a small Scamp (I believe it was 13') and a larger Scamp (was it 16' or 17' and had a bathroom) as well as a 92 Burro (much wider than the Scamps and 17') as well as a Casita (17').

The Burro was a great looking trailer, especially for it's age (93). Just not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but here's the ad if anybody's interested.... 17' Fiberglass Burro Travel Trailer It's in the SF craigslist ads but it's located in Woodland, Ca (15 miles north of Sacramento on I-5). This trailer actually has a bathroom and shower large enough that a full grown man could fit in.

I have another question and others may wonder the same thing so I'll start a new thread for that.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
  5. Propane Heater
Ditto!! but I would add a 6th - Fantastic Fan.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Whichever brand you have is the absolute, no-question-about-it best (until you see/find "that one" and list your current one for sale.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #34

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
To quote Alan Shepard as he sat atop a Mercury Redstone rocket when asked his thoughts (and I paraphrase): "I am sitting on top of a rocket/bomb built of thousands of different parts ... each going to the lowest bid - how do you think I feel?"

I think that kinda goes for all build ups that involve many different parts from a number of different fields of expertise. I now own a Play Pac - very hard to find and they ostensibly have the greatest internal volume of any 13' - which is why I decided on one over my beloved UHAUL. But I will support Brooke/ Mouse in her comment that they were made to take a serious beating by a new renter each week. Double-hulled and brick-house like. However, it really does come down to what you want in an egg versus what your budget is. The rare and extraordinarily Oliver comes to mind as a virtual mobile bomb shelter, but it can run 5 or 6 times the price of its current counterparts.

Don't beat yourself up, go with your gut, and give yourself the allowance that your first egg might very well not be your last! How do I know? When I bought my first UHAUL, I swore I was the last owner of that sweetie ... and only two years later, I am on my FOURTH egg!
Best of luck to you.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #35

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: JCZ... Here's a pic. of our rig. I think that the Escape 5.0 is the best choice for a Nissan Frontier, but I'm biased. We owned the trailer before the truck and chose the Nissan as a replacement tug. Having the Escape factory axle lift allowed us to have a 4X4 truck.
The Escape 5.0 is the best, lightest weight fiberglass 5th. around. To bad there aren't any used ones on the market. Almost everybody that has one keeps it. We were just so lucky to find ours& close to home too!!!.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
New York State of mind.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #36

Name: grant
Trailer: 13' burro, 13' casita, 20' nomad f/w
Texas
Is ford better than chevy, dodge, or others? it's a personal choice, they are all good , depends on preference ( YOURS )
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #37

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Oh, and if you do rent one to see how you like it, be prepared to feel somewhat overwhelmed at first. But don't worry, all the things that you need to check and do will soon become second nature. One or two short camping trips and you will no longer fear making a catastrophic mistake, (but the little ones will still pop up once in a while).