Is this an over-sink cutting board? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Is this an over-sink cutting board?

We recently purchased a used Casita. There is a cutting board/shelf in the camper and I can't figure out what it is for or where it should live. It's just about the same size as the sink, but is too small to fit over the sink. There is 1 hole drilled in each corner a couple of inches from the edge. Obviously for some kind of mounting hardware, but what? Ideas? I'm having trouble loading the photo I took.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Don't know if this will help you identify your object, but, Escape used the sink cutout in the cabinet to increase counter space when the sink isn't in use.
Pix show it in use and also show the underside and how it stays in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Knife storage.jpg   sink cover.jpg  

Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Marge, can you post a picture. Maybe it's some modification a previous owner made. We don't have the sink cover that Glenn pictured, but there are a couple covers that look like that and they are the covers for storage areas under the seating. Those covers only have one hole in them though, a "finger hole" to pull them off.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sounds like a rear corner shelf to me. Its an option from Casita. Do you have mystery clips on one of the corners a foot or two above the bed?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #5

Oregon
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried and tried but can't get a photo to load. Below this box there's a box that says "add video" but I tried that and no picture. Above this box there's an icon that says "insert image" but it asks for a web address. When I try and drag the photo into this box I just get a separate box with a huge image, but it's not connected. Hmm.... I'll get my techie husband on it and try again.

But in the meantime, there isn't a single finger hole, just 4 small holes, 1 near each corner. We do have a shelf that hasn't been attached, but I don't think this is the same thing. Why would they put holes in all 4 corners? It won't work over the sink because it is ever so slightly too small and starts to fall into the sink hole.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Oregon
No mystery clips that I've seen, but I'll take a look. I'll also compare this to the shelf I know is a shelf (also hasn't been installed yet)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

Go here for illustrated instructions on how to post photos:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...res-82893.html
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #8

Oregon
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried and tried but can't get a photo to load. Below the box I'm typing in there's a box that says "add video" but when I put a photo in there it doesn't load. Above this box there's an icon that says "insert image" but it wants a web address. When I just try and drag a photo into this box I get a huge image in a separate box that isn't connected to this. Any other thoughts? I'll get my techie husband on this later and give it another try.

In the meantime...there isn't a large hole for lifting it with a finger and it's slightly too small for a sink cover. It starts to fall into the sink. But that's about the size. Could be a corner shelf, but then why would they put small holes in all 4 corners? I didn't see any mystery clips by the bed, but will take another look.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #9

You're not posting a video.
Go here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...res-82893.html
Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

Oregon
Ahh, thanks, Glen! I wasn't scrolling far enough down and didn't see the box for attachments. OK it's right side up in my computer but upside down here. But at least you can get the idea... the dark dot in the lower left corner (when viewed correctly) is a hole for a bracket of some sort. There's one in each corner you can see if you look closely.
Attached Thumbnails
Sink board (Small).jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

When taking pictures with an iPhone, hold the phone horizontally, with the home button on the right.
Or, download the picture to a computer and use a photo processing app to rotate it and save.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
When taking pictures with an iPhone, hold the phone horizontally, with the home button on the right.
Or, download the picture to a computer and use a photo processing app to rotate it and save.
Glenn, thanks for all the suggestions. This is crazy! It's definitely right side up in my computer but consistently loads upside down here. I've tried flipping it in my computer so it's upside down but it still loads upside down here. Definitely some kind of glitch. I give up. Hopefully everyone can get the idea from the upside down photo?? Sorry!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
looks like the same wood finish that is in our '96 SD17, but we don't have a piece like it. Have you looked under all the cushions for a missing cover, in closet, and along the floor. Our TV shelf is not shaped like that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #14

Oregon
Here we are with our new baby...this one is right side up. Easy peasey! I don't know what is going on with the photo of the board. Bob, I'm going to go loook and see if there's a cover missing. But that still doesn't explain the small holes drilled in the corners.
Attached Thumbnails
New casita.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
I've tried flipping it in my computer so it's upside down but it still loads upside down here.
When you load it into a photo processing app in your computer, it should strip the information that causes it to orient itself correctly on your phone. So, you wouldn't flip it to upside down in your computer. Once it's right side up in your computer, you save and download it to FGRV from the computer. It should then appear as it appears in your computer.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
that does look like the rear 'tv' shelf... in the rear curbside corner, above the bed, there's a small alum bracket that a 'leg' slips into, that leg fits into a similar brakcet thats held in place by a screw right about where that screw hole is.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #17

Oregon
I called Casita and they said they don't have anything like the board I'm describing. I checked all our cubby holes and all covers are accounted for. The finish is the same as other tables, including the edge finish and rounded corners. The odd thing is that this is the ONLY piece in the whole camper with holes drilled all the way through.

My current guess is that the prior owner picked it up from a different RV and was using it to raise the microwave a bit so the microwave door doesn't hit the frame of the cabinet when it's opened. It's an after market microwave and sits a little low. Who knows, maybe it was even a scrap piece from Casita? I have a text out to the prior owner and will let you know what he says if he answers me.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
When you load it into a photo processing app in your computer, it should strip the information that causes it to orient itself correctly on your phone. So, you wouldn't flip it to upside down in your computer. Once it's right side up in your computer, you save and download it to FGRV from the computer. It should then appear as it appears in your computer.
I did have it right side up in the computer, as well as upside down. Neither worked. You may be on to something that there was something that didn't get erased when I sent it from the phone to google photos to the computer. But since the other photo of us with the camper loaded fine I'm going to leave it be. Thanks for talking me through this!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that does look like the rear 'tv' shelf... in the rear curbside corner, above the bed, there's a small alum bracket that a 'leg' slips into, that leg fits into a similar brakcet thats held in place by a screw right about where that screw hole is.
John, we do have the rear TV shelf and it's shaped completely different. This board has 90 degree angles and wouldn't fit in the rounded corners of the Casita. It's also much smaller than the other shelf. I'm now thinking it's a scrap piece used by the prior owner to elevate the microwave. See my other post...
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #20

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
Cutting board possibility

We have a similar board in our 2004 SD. It was an optional accessory that fits on the drawer to give more prep space. You have to pull the drawer out as far as it will go to put it on. (I usually leave it at home as I prep outside most of the time.)
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote