It's official!!! I can't stand the awning on my 16' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I put a regular just-like-the-big-boys' pulldown awning on my Trillium and have never regretted it. Thirty seconds to open...thirty seconds to close and lock in place for travel.

The only downside is that it covers less area than a pole type.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have no idea what the differences are, but I timed myself the first time I did it on my scamp, and it took under 90 seconds. Putting away was the same, and no ladder needed, unless you're under 3' tall.
Jared you may have gotten lucky in so far as the previous owner had read the manual on how to put it away correctly and had never tried to force the legs back in. The big issue with mine when I first acquired the trailer was that someone had forced the legs up into the case incorrectly to many times and in doing so the end caps had bent out a little bit away from the box - so the box would not lock down correctly. The end caps have guides built into them so when bent out away from the box the guides do not work or help at all. I purchased new end caps and took the awning off and replaced the caps - works like a charm now.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #17

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Carol, thx for all of that info. At no time did I have even the slightest interest in an E-Z up type of shelter/canopy. My link in the first post was for something that's a huge umbrella. I know exactly how it works because my sister-in-law has one. IF I give up my awning it will be for one of those. Thumbs down from me on those E-Z up contraptions -- they're no easier for one person than the awning.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Sharon that its a cool looking shelter and looks like it would work for you if you plan on staying mostly around the Texas & Arizona areas. Unfortunately those of use in the west tend to have to deal with moisture issues from rain, fog or dew dripping off of trees, even in the middle of the summer. Not a lot of fun putting away nylon type materials when they are wet.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #19

Texas
Right Carol. And it won't be fun putting my nylon Strongback chairs away or anything else that's wet, for that matter. Why would I stay in the AZ-TX area? I'll be fulltiming, not visiting picnic grounds for weekend camping a few hundred miles from home. Hope to hit ALL areas of the US of A for as long as I remain road-worthy and healthy. I like Norm's and Ginny's routine: Go everywhere, do what's fun. They're my "heroes." (grin)

S.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Carol H.

No. Wind 4 in the morning. Aluminum has amazing memory. We flipped it off the camper and it almost sprung back. This happened right after we got it new. My husband was going to take it off and pitch until I told him how much it cost. Some parts later and a lot of cussing it's back on the camper. Haven't had it out since the repair.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Right Carol. And it won't be fun putting my nylon Strongback chairs away or anything else that's wet, for that matter. Why would I stay in the AZ-TX area? I'll be fulltiming, not visiting picnic grounds for weekend camping a few hundred miles from home. Hope to hit ALL areas of the US of A for as long as I remain road-worthy and healthy. I like Norm's and Ginny's routine: Go everywhere, do what's fun. They're my "heroes." (grin)

S.
You go girl Only asked as some folks seem to have a fairly short camping radius. Norm & Ginny are the envy of many of us. Due to other commitments the best I have been able to do in a year was about 155 days out. Looking forward to a time in the not to distant future when I am able to top that.

You did just give yourself another reason to save the awning though. Fold the nylon chairs up at night under the awning & they will stay mostly dry in the worst down pours.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You did just give yourself another reason to save the awning though. Fold the nylon chairs up at night under the awning & they will stay mostly dry in the worst down pours.
Our Strongback chairs go in the TV at night. We love those things!
Just sayin'.....
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Remember too, Scamp has mounted AT LEAST three different kinds of awnings since the mid-1980s. Some are a lot easier than others, but all provide shade or shelter from rain. I like the fact I can open the door to my Scamp and not get soaked during a rain storm.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Mine is a carefree awning, if it makes a difference. It couldn't be easier to use.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #25

Texas
Mine is the Catalina 2500 and it sucks.

S.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #26

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I couldn't put mine back in after the first time I used it. PO bent rods to stuff it in, I cut it off and took off rods. I purchased a half patio umbrella for my deck door and will be using it for shade on my next trip. Here's a link to some on eBay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/half-umbrella
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #27

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Sharon, so glad someone else has about the same amount of patience that I do. I like your umbrella atlernate. I was really looking forward to the party!
I do not have an awning but am seriously thinking about mounting a storage tube to carry my trout rod in the awning area. Figure it will look similar to the awning box and get the poles out of the way.
Elaine
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Sharon I think we are about 30 miles apart and I am retired. If you want send me a private PM and I wil be more then happy to swing by despite the 100+ temp
and take a look at it.
Mike

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp