It's official!!! I can't stand the awning on my 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
It's official!!! I can't stand the awning on my 16' Scamp

I've messed with it for 3 days. Does it work? Yes. Is it a snap to set up? No, not for me. Maybe if I was taller and didn't have to use that pole thingy to do everything I'd feel differently. And the VERY THOUGHT of having to take it down in a hurry in "sudden" winds or whatever conditions would likely be the death of me. I have no patience is likely my main problem (right behind being a shorty).

So, I'm removing the awning permanently and throwing a GOOD RIDDANCE party with free beer afterwards. All are invited. Anybody know off-hand how many rivets hold that puppy on (with my luck probably a few dozen, eh)? I'll just plug the holes with "pointless" rivets like I did when I removed the sewer tube on the front of the Scamp.

I'm looking at one of these for instant shade needs. And if it catches the wind and lands in a tree three states away, I'm out about 40 bucks. I can live with that a couple of times a year

It's an Amazon link per usual for me.
Amazon.com: Super Brella Beach Umbrella (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm sorry, truly. I love my awning. BUT.. it's the same awning Casita puts on and I'm not sure if it's the same as the Scamp.

I'm of average height and carry an aluminum three-step ladder. I can't deploy the awning without it. I have a truck, so carrying it isn't problematic.

AND, I bought a tie-down from Susan to take care of wind conditions... unless they're hurricane winds and the awning wouldn't be deployed anyway.

I have an E-Z Up and it's not, nor can I put it up by myself. So see, different strokes for different folks.

RIP awning!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Sharon,
We have that umbrella....bought it at Home Depot, and we have enjoyed using it....just not good when the wind is really blowing! We have been using it while camping in the Florida Keys.
Our Eggcamper has a "canopy" instead of an awning....it's much easier to take up and down...but of course does not provide as much shade as an awning.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Right on, Sharon. It's ugly looking, it's scary, and it is heavy. More millstone than convenience. I removed mine and promptly dumped it because of those very reasons. Mine was attached to an '86. From the beginning it just looked like big trouble. My first concern was the spring return system would fail and the fabric would tear. Next, it seemed them roof brackets were way under-engineered, too lightweight to keep the thing attached to the roof. I filled the bolt holes with White Marine-Tex. "Handles like putty, hardens like steel." No regrets. Never missed.

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Sharon
I had the same issues with a lifted S-19, I carried a fold up ladder to deal with the awning. But what found worked best was to spin the site picnic table next to the camper. I walk out the awning while standing on the table top. I would then slide the table out to the edge of the awning and tie the awning strap to the picnic table.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If its the boxed Catalina type I feel your pain. I was fortunate to have the owner of Escape trailers show me a few tricks for dealing with it the first year I had the trailer after he saw me having a big struggle with it & was about to give it away. Took some practise & reading of the manual before it got easier & I can put it up & take down on my own without any tears. Now I wouldn't be happy without it as I have free standing one that is just as hard to do on my own if not impossible.

One of the tricks is when you are putting it up drop the legs down and set them so they are pretty high at least as high as the awning box but with the feet about 4' from the trailer then grab the ring and pull away. For put away I again raise the legs up and move the base of them back towards the trailer making sure I have firm hold on the strap & it's right in the middle of the awning & then I let the cross bar buttons go. I do sometimes need to use a small step stool to get the legs back into the box though. Also have found if I leave the legs slightly extended as I move them back into the box and only shorten them up all the way once most of its in the box helps to lock them in correctly.

If I was to get another awning though it wouldn't be a box one it would be one like what they have on the Escapes. I think it's a Carefree?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have no idea what the differences are, but I timed myself the first time I did it on my scamp, and it took under 90 seconds. Putting away was the same, and no ladder needed, unless you're under 3' tall.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Carol has the secret. The awning has to be pulled straight out level with the box. If you pull it out or try to stow at a downward angle from the box everything tends to bind up.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #9

Texas
Wow, lots of info/insights here. Guess I'll spend some more time rethinking this. Thanks all for the input -- I don't want to make a bad decision and regret it later.

S.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We are glad we never had an awning. We find we rarely need shade as we often park under trees, we need shade away from the trailer, are away hiking all day, it's too windy, etc. My husband is a sun-worshipper and rarely wants shade. I, on the other hand run for shade at every opportunity! On those occasions when I need shade I pull out our 10' canopy, similar to this one from Amazon (Amazon.com : E-Z UP Sierra II 10 by 10 Canopy, Blue : Camping Shelters : Sports & Outdoors), that is very compact and easily fits under our dinette table. It's easy to put up wherever I like and is easy to dismantle. It has even served as a shelter in light rain!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
But, but what about the beer party?
Damn awnings ruin all the fun.
I hope you get this worked out to your satisfaction so you dont have to throw your shade away. Pop ups are not fun, bag awnings are not fun and trees are hard to move in just the right place. Shade is just a pain to get too I guess.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #12

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
They can even ruin your whole day.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0012.jpg  
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Wow, lots of info/insights here. Guess I'll spend some more time rethinking this. Thanks all for the input -- I don't want to make a bad decision and regret it later.

S.
Sharon if you are like me and travel on your own at times you will not be sorry you took the time to figure out the correct way of putting the awning up and down. I travel with a number of single trailer owners who's trailers did not have built on awnings when they acquired them. All started out using free standing shelters such as E-Z ups. Some went through various types to try and get it right and find one they could handle on their own. Some have since bit the bullet and had an awning added and are *very* happy they did. The ones that havent put one on yet have held off only due to the cost. I would suggest practising putting your awning up and down when you are not in a rush to get going someplace. The manual for it will also have a few good hints as well.

Here is what I think the benefits to having an awning on the trailer are:

1) If done correctly you should be able to put it up and down on your own. Even though I have one that is notoriously hard to put away I have with practise pretty well mastered it. Although I do sometimes mess it up it normally doesnt take more than 2 attempts. Thats something you will really have a hard time doing with a free standing shelter such as an E-Z up. When traveling on my own I do not like having to ask strangers to help me put up a shelter or delay my departure from someplace waiting for someone to be around to help me take it down. A small folding step stool does come in handy at times and it can be used for other things as well, such as a step for the doorway when on a sloped site.

2) You dont need to try and find a space to store a built on awning while traveling as you do with a free standing shelter. You also do not end up with a wet awning stored inside the tug or trailer.

3) Its much faster to put a built on roll up awning away in wet weather and pull back out later to dry off than it is to put away a free standing shelter away in the pouring rain or wind. If you have ever tried to drop a free standing shelter down in a heavy wind or rain you will quickly understand the problem with trying to do it on your own & as you stand there soaking wet you will wish you still had the awning.

4) Free standing shelters tend to be on the heavy side and can be depending on your size be a struggle to manhandling in and out of your tug or trailer. I have one for extended camping trips in one spot and although one of the lighter ones I no longer bring it along on road trips if traveling on my own.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
They can even ruin your whole day.
Gezzzz - scared to ask how that happened??? Box not locked down correctly and it popped open while traveling????
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I put a regular just-like-the-big-boys' pulldown awning on my Trillium and have never regretted it. Thirty seconds to open...thirty seconds to close and lock in place for travel.

The only downside is that it covers less area than a pole type.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have no idea what the differences are, but I timed myself the first time I did it on my scamp, and it took under 90 seconds. Putting away was the same, and no ladder needed, unless you're under 3' tall.
Jared you may have gotten lucky in so far as the previous owner had read the manual on how to put it away correctly and had never tried to force the legs back in. The big issue with mine when I first acquired the trailer was that someone had forced the legs up into the case incorrectly to many times and in doing so the end caps had bent out a little bit away from the box - so the box would not lock down correctly. The end caps have guides built into them so when bent out away from the box the guides do not work or help at all. I purchased new end caps and took the awning off and replaced the caps - works like a charm now.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #17

Texas
Carol, thx for all of that info. At no time did I have even the slightest interest in an E-Z up type of shelter/canopy. My link in the first post was for something that's a huge umbrella. I know exactly how it works because my sister-in-law has one. IF I give up my awning it will be for one of those. Thumbs down from me on those E-Z up contraptions -- they're no easier for one person than the awning.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #18

Registry
Sharon that its a cool looking shelter and looks like it would work for you if you plan on staying mostly around the Texas & Arizona areas. Unfortunately those of use in the west tend to have to deal with moisture issues from rain, fog or dew dripping off of trees, even in the middle of the summer. Not a lot of fun putting away nylon type materials when they are wet.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #19

Texas
Right Carol. And it won't be fun putting my nylon Strongback chairs away or anything else that's wet, for that matter. Why would I stay in the AZ-TX area? I'll be fulltiming, not visiting picnic grounds for weekend camping a few hundred miles from home. Hope to hit ALL areas of the US of A for as long as I remain road-worthy and healthy. I like Norm's and Ginny's routine: Go everywhere, do what's fun. They're my "heroes." (grin)

S.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Carol H.

No. Wind 4 in the morning. Aluminum has amazing memory. We flipped it off the camper and it almost sprung back. This happened right after we got it new. My husband was going to take it off and pitch until I told him how much it cost. Some parts later and a lot of cussing it's back on the camper. Haven't had it out since the repair.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp