jalousie window gaskets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 76 Trillium
British Columbia
Unhappy jalousie window gaskets

Hello,
I have a '76 13ft Trillium purchased last year. As the windows leaked (of course) I removed and resealed the windows then (thanks to all the poster's on this forum). Unfortunately I did not replace the gaskets (I only found the Vintage trailer site recently) - wondering if these can be replaced with the windows in place or do I have to completely remove AND disassemble the windows? Also, anyone with the 4900 series windows - where is the glazing channel (#0114Z3 from vintagetrailergaskets.com) used? Can't figure it out and am really hoping I don't have to take the windows apart
Cheers,
Judi
judi z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Judi, we removed, cleaned up and re-installed the rear window (Hehr series 4900) on our Trillium 4500 last year.

vintagetrailergaskets dot com shipped us samples of the series 4900 gaskets free of charge. We decided to order and replace the top seal and all of the Y seals, but not the glazing channel gaskets. The glazing channel gaskets seal around each window pane, between the raw glass edge and the aluminum.

We used a thick layer of butyl tape behind the window flange and have not had a problem since. However, also consider (as mentioned in a recent post) that a gray sealant is used to seal the joints in the aluminum frame. After 40 years, this sealant may need to be replaced.

To answer your question, YES the glazing channel gaskets can be replaced without removing the window. To do this, open the window wide then remove each window sash by removing the two screws on each side that hold the window sash to the "Hehr torque bracket". Then disassemble the window sash, extract the old glazing channel, etc.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Judi,

To try further answer your question:

1. Top seal: I found that the 40 year old top seal was impossible to remove without first unscrewing/separating the top piece of the window frame (on the dining room table). Once the old top seal was removed and the slot cleaned, I was able to easily install the new top seal.

2. Y seals: For the vertical Y seals, we removed the old Y seals and installed new Y seals while the top piece of the window frame was removed. Not sure whether this can be done without removing the top piece of the window frame. For the horizontal Y seal at the bottom of the window, this can be replaced without removing the window from the camper.

3. Glazing channel: see previous post
Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: Judi
Trailer: 76 Trillium
British Columbia
Thank you!
judi z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Yeah +1 for checking the grey sealant at the bottom outside corners of your windows. Definitely makes a difference for water infiltration.
b_houf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Post Window gaskets for just about anything

GO HERE! Great service, great website.

vintagetrailergaskets.com -- Checkout their Vintage Window Library! I have Hehr4900 windows on Kermit ('76 Trillium) and needed specific help with changing out my window topseals. They not only taught me how to find what series windows I had, but also had the seals, alerted me to the crimp & told me how to deal with it. Happy camper! (next....now i need to replace a window screen frame...)

or if you like Pinterest; https://www.pinterest.com/vintagetrailergaskets/
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Question

Hey John
I am replacing that persnickity top seal too, and VintageTrailerGaskets alerted me to a factory 'crimp' on 3600 & 4900s that needed to be removed, before the old seals could be slid out / new ones in. I queried them about it & they confirmed my pic (attached) I had sent. I ended up grinding the crimp out w/ a Dremel, and it was messy & problematic but it worked. Do you have any insights???
Thanks from all of us!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0638.jpg  
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Susan, what is your question?

(When we worked on our rear window, we actually spread the crimps and then were able to remove the old top seal. We weren't able to install the new top seal without first removing the top piece of the window frame.)