Jalousie Window - replace with glass or plexi? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
My Trillium 1300 has jalousie windows, and one of them is broken. I took the old glass out, and took out the rubber channel, and headed off to the hardware store to get replacement rubber and glass. They didn't sell the rubber and told me a specialty store would carry it :-( So, I didn't buy the glass. Here are my questions:

Can I reinstall plexiglass instead of glass? Seems like it would be lighter, safer, etc.

Can I just use silicone window caulking instead of the rubber channel to keep the glass/plexi in the aluminum frame?

Thanks!
Daisy
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
For the jalousie windows I would use glass vs. the Plexiglass....the plastic requires more care when cleaning and even then some way/ somehow it`ll scratch and a few years down the road you won`t be happy with it.....if you can use glass, use it........it would be better also if you could get the proper size,(can`t be cut once tempered), of tempered glass......the original window manufacturers should have replacement safety glass.....the tempered glass shatters into little bits if damaged......you could also check if a duolite type glass would be thin enough to fit your frame......this glass is two ply with a plastic material in between, i.e. car windshields and would be the safest and can be cut to size.......the plexiglass also cracks, so if that is the route you go, get scratch resistant Lexan as opposed to plexi....more money but virtually unbreakable.......oh, you would be best off with the original type channel.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Daisy, when we broke a pane on our Trill 1300, the auto glass store replaced with regular glass and rubber spline sealant ( he had rolls of the stuff). Took about 20 minutes and the young fella didn't want to charge me! ...Must have been "Be kind to tourists day!)
You couldnt afford to have tempered glass in every pane of a Trill...it's expensive and has to be ordered in the exact size (no trimmimg to fit) I figgered if the pane I replaced lasted thirty some years, I wasn't going to worry about using regular glass for the replacement.
Dont putty or silicone the new piece...it will be very difficult to remove if there is another break. Good luck! :>} Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Daisy, you mentioned safety and that has a price....and the safety is why safety glass is used in motor vehicles and in I believe all storm doors in housing.......I mentioned the options to regular glass for that reason.......use what you wish and is the best for your needs.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Daisy, I just recently purchased some window glass at Home Depot here in Portland...they had glass precut in Jalousie "size." You may want to check them out.

Otherwise checkout the info from the Helpful-Links page: Windows and Window Parts. There's also a link for the weather seal.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I replaced mine with plexi- given the condition of my project and the fact that the window frames had been bent, I decided that I would rather deal with plexi and have a little bit of flex, than glass. It was very inexpensive, and if I have to replace them again in a few years due to scratches, well that is the least of my troubles!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Hi-How about calling mobilehome sales/supply companies or junkyards for the jalousie windows and you could even find used cranks to open the windows with.-Mary Lynn
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Daisy, I just recently purchased some window glass at Home Depot here in Portland...they had glass precut in Jalousie "size." You may want to check them out.

Otherwise checkout the info from the Helpful-Links page: Windows and Window Parts. There's also a link for the weather seal.
Thanks all - since I'm camping this weekend and yesterday was the last day I had to work on the trailer this week, I went with plexi. I'll probably redo it with glass this summer when I have more time, but for now....plexiglass.

thanks!
Daisy
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jalousie windows