JB Weld plastic product caution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
JB Weld plastic product caution

Just a word of caution.. I used the JB Weld plastic epoxy product to fill holes in the fiberglass cabinets in my 1979 Scamp.

It worked well. However, instead of drying to an off white color it dried to a gray.

From reading other comments on this forum, I understood it would dry to more of a white which would blend in with the gel coat. Either I misunderstood, or the coloration of the product has changed.

Guess it's time to paint!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tonnie...

You dont state the hole size you're trying to fill. I moved a goofy light location Scamp had installed on my cabinets. They installed a 12v dome light BETWEEN the front and additionally ordered rear side cabinets. (My understanding is they're finally leaning this over). Leaning it over is what I did to make it EFFECTIVE.

I used these little white plugs from Lowes which blends in at least 90% (close enough to me) to keep it to a few seconds hole fix.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Hole-plugs-...are/4294711044

Here's a photo I took AFTER I turned the fixture 90 deg and plugged the existing holes to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/6715824269/

You may want to go to a boat repair shop and pick up some gel coat paint and it should match your cabinets pretty close if you decide to go that route.

While we're on it, here's another paint color I've used on my Scamp that matches the gelcoat PERFECTLY (at least it does after the Scamp has aged 2-3 yrs). I painted the slinky tube and water spout inlet because they were "yellowing" horribly! I also bought this at Lowes. I painted these parts because I got tired of them making the Scamp look neglected. Some dont care. I do/did and here's the results. My thinking is, this paint MAY work inside "matching" as well. Havent tried it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57678059525801
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Did you ude this?
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-5017...=white+jb+weld
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, I've only used JB Weld to glue things together. For small holes in the fiberglass, I've used a Marine 2-part epoxy putty and it's kneaded.
Attached Thumbnails
MarineEpoxy.JPG   MarineEpoxy_text.JPG  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

Florida
Donna, The JB Weld product is also a two part epoxy putty that is kneaded to blend. It did a good job filling the holes (most from screws). It's the color that is the issue.

Darral, thanks for the paint idea. I may get some and try it on a small area.

I've seen somewhere on this site photos of someone painting the inside of a Boler (if I remember correctly) using a spray gun. He painted the walls and the cabinets. I can't find that link now. Since it looks like I may need to paint the cabinets as well as the ensolite, I'd like to look at this further. I have a Wagner fine paint sprayer and it does a great job without a big over spray problem.

Would this be a new thread?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
If you plan to paint, especially inside, airless is the way to go, much less overspray.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
Donna, The JB Weld product is also a two part epoxy putty that is kneaded to blend. It did a good job filling the holes (most from screws). It's the color that is the issue.
I guess the devil is in the details. The product I use says "It goes from green to white once it is completely mixed."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Darral T. I have used that Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint myself and I really like it. Only bad thing is that it is rated for interior use only. I contacted them to ask about that and was informed that there is no UV protection built into the paint so it wouldn't last long if used on something outside. I found this out after painting the tongue of my trailer with their black appliance epoxy paint. Its on the can but is in very fine print. What I'm trying is to occasional y spray the tongue with some Turtle Wax Ice spray wax which does have UV protect-ants in it and see if that will help keep the paint from prematurely deteriorating.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #9

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
JB Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I'm guessing it may have been this Darwin?

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8277...ld+epoxy+putty

The other "stuff" you mentioned did have much better reviews on Amazon but the color still doesn't come out very white some say.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Florida
Darwin,

That is not what I used. Do you think if I got that and went over the areas I used the other on it would cover the gray with the correct color?

The package I have says JB Weld plastic, but says it's for fiberglass as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #11

Florida
Donna,

I couldn't find anything on the package that said what color it would be. It started out blue with a whitish center. I guess this is part of that learning curve!

Thanks...
Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Krylon Fusion paints are specifically blended for painting plastic without a primer. Great UV protection.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Just a word of caution.. I used the JB Weld plastic epoxy product to fill holes in the fiberglass cabinets in my 1979 Scamp.

It worked well. However, instead of drying to an off white color it dried to a gray.

From reading other comments on this forum, I understood it would dry to more of a white which would blend in with the gel coat. Either I misunderstood, or the coloration of the product has changed.

Marine-Tex is probably the best epoxy you can find for fixing holes, and it is white. Use it like caulk for scratches or to fill holes. You can get it at Ace Hardware or any marine supply and it comes in several different size packages.

Marine Tex, epoxy resin, adhesives, silicone grease, engine treatment, cleaner, repair, bond, fill, seal, fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, Starboard, wood

Or

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...a-b62c5855205f
Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:

Tonnie, if it was me, I certainly would not paint just to cover those small patches. Get some epoxy that dries white like others have recommended. Just drill out the ones you've done with the next size up bit....should be good to go. Just my $.02 worth .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #15

Florida
I'll get some Marine-Tex and give it a try...
Thanks to all!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
many of those products will sand white.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote