...joined together--vertically or horizontally? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Thomas G.;418836]Seam leaks are very rare as the seam is fiberglassed over on the inside.

Seam leaks weren't rare on our Uhaul, I had at least two. One aft of the roof vent would drip right through the fiberglass, no hole or crack was visible. Another leak forward of the vent would weep down to the front window. I think ours must have been either a monday morning or friday afternoon assembled trailer.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;418910]I am guessing that U-Haul's thinking is that when a customer hit a tree with the trailer, as they apparently often do with trucks, that limiting the damage to the exterior shell would reduce repairs to the interior and hasten turn-around time. In other words, the outer shell serves as a bumper to protect the interior.

Our Uhaul had either been hit in the rear or backed into something that went through both outer and inner shells. Also lower front damage but in the storage area where it is only a single shell, but I think it also hit the storage tub too. I've seen a lot of truck body damage when I spent 20 years with Ryder. Low bridges really do a job, and one of our lease customers caught the crane on their flatbed lumber truck under a railroad bridge, the front wheels of the truck came up off the road and the top of the cab hit the bridge distorting the whole cab. The truck was totaled and they had it only 3 days.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Name: Chris
Trailer: in the market
New Mexico
You guys are really generous with your insights. Thanks to all who responded. Today, I took the plunge and agreed to purchase a Casita Patriot Deluxe. Will collect it in a couple of weeks and then thoroughly examine it for leak potentials and hopefully seal off anything which looks vulnerable. Really excited about my new project and the prospect of deluxe camping (compared to my current setup).

in the 47th state of perpetual sunshine
zer0pi is offline   Reply With Quote