I figure I still have about 6 months until the trailers finished, but it's coming along fine. I've started Painting
the exterior using the role and brush method. I'm using Pettit Easypoxy topside paint
. I picked this one because of reading better online results than other brands. For a month I checked in the area to have it done by someone else, but got quoted over $1500 to do a "so so job", but for $3000 it will turn out great. I have about $250 in supplies to do it myself. I put on two coats of primer which covered up most of the spider web cracks and other blemishes, I reinforced the back of these areas with extra fiberglass. I now have one coat of the finishing coat on and it looks fine, and I'm pretty picky. I'm doing it in a garage, so I don't have problems with dust and critters going into the paint
. I also have been starting it at 7:00 am while it's cooler to lengthen the cure time.
The one thing I found online that has helped tons is from a professional fiberglass painter. I had many little holes in the fiberglass and couldn't seem to fill them. Everything I put in would come out when I sanded. Then I read to use house Spackle to fill the tiny holes, not on anything big, just the tiny ones I had. The online guy said using this was easy because it sanded up easily and kept a small amount of material in the hole that the paint
would seal. I tried this on the final primer coat and it worked great. After the first coat of finishing paint was dry this morning, I went around and found about 20 more that I filled. I checked the other ones that I filled and could not find them.
I think I have enough paint for 2 to 3 more coats, so depending on my work load I will have it done in a couple of weeks.
Photo's will be coming after I'm done with the paint.