Just bought my first Scamp! 1977 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Tiffany
Trailer: 1977 13ft Scamp
Georgia
Just bought my first Scamp! 1977

Hello scamp community!
I just drove over 800 miles by myself yesterday to purchase my first scamp. I kind of feel that I got ripped off though I purchased a 13ft 1977 scamp from Knoxville,TN. I tried to do as much research before hand as possible on these but being a girl who doesn't know alot about campers I didn't really know to look for. When I got there the seller was very nice and showed me around the camper and how it worked. It looked like he did alot of the work himself but stopped working on it a few years ago. It looked like it had been sitting in his driveway for a while. The front door would not close properly and the front door window was completely cracked and held together with ducktape! I looked over the camper inside and out the best that I could. I tried to overlook the little flaws and since i had already drove 415 miles one way I decided to go head with the purchase. I paid $4000 for this guy! is this a reasonable price for 1977 13ft scamp that is in working condition but needs some work? I then got back in my car and drove it straight back home another 415 mile! Lets just say i was exhausted when i got home last-night! When I got home we looked it over and I realized i don't have the bunkbed poles to hold up the bunks,(small issue) also the side wall left of the door is completely detached from the floor which will need to be repaired somehow (bigger issue!) Not to mention the door window and possibly the door needs to be replaced. Not sure how great the floor is holding up, the gentleman that sold it to me said he replaced with with plywood like material about 8 years ago. I know I bought an older model and should be prepared for stuff like this but did I pay too much? any help with repairs, advice, and where i could find some bunk bed poles, possibly and new burner stove and refrigerator would be greatly appreciated! With that said, my boyfriend and I are looking forward to being apart of the Scamp Owner community!
Best Regards
Tiffany
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8910.JPG   IMG_8911.JPG  

trufolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Maybe a bit on the high side.... But hey it is yours don't get buyers remorse .... Make it safe and go camping and don't look Back( it will be right there on your mirror )
Seriously take time to make sure wheels/ bearings water and gas are good then make some memories
I'm sure you will get other opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Tiff, we just pulled out the bunk beds in our 1978 13' Scamp. You can have the poles, which have some pitting on the chrome, for the cost of shipping. PM me if you are interested. We are in North Carolina
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Name: Tiffany
Trailer: 1977 13ft Scamp
Georgia
Thanks for the pep talk alan, yes im trying no to have buyers remorse right now! lol. Hopefully once we fix these small issues we will have some great adventures camping. Newbie I sent you a PM, i would greatly appreciate the bunkbed poles!!!
trufolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

I see you are in California
we are so California and there is a great rally in the fall in ojai( about 10 miles from Ventura)
It is a great group 35-40 last year and everyone has great ideas/mods etc
Where are you guys located my wife and I are in Thousand Oaks ca

Old 05-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Oops wrong state
sorry either way find a rally to attend

Old 05-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #7

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
pictures?

can you post some pictures of the door issue? and other stuff. Don't be scared. Any egg can rise from the ashes like a great Phoenix!
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

Name: Maureen
Trailer: Ordered a Scamp 16
California
Alan, do you have dates for the rally in Solvang? I am in the SFV and would love to attend.
Maur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I guess you missed the buyer's check list.

The Fiberglass RV Community

Oh, well. Use it now and determine what needs to be done.

Good luck with your new baby.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Sure but it is in ojai not solvang
Solvang is about an hour away
The rally is at lake casitas
And I believe it runs from Thursday 10/29 thru Monday 11/2
My wife and I are arriving on Friday and leaving sunday

Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #11

If you look a at the forum "rallies"
It lists it and many others
Hope to see ya at lake casitas

Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Buyers remorse is normal unless you got a great deal and even then the "it would have been an even better deal if...." can happen. Humans? Who said they make sense?

Use the check list, post questions and know you have someplace to put your sweat equity. Not perfect does not mean can't use it. I used ours locally for short trips and have gradually worked at making improvements.

I am seeing what appears to be a very low ride judging by where the wheel well crosses the tire & rim. The suspensions in these old ones is often worn out. Like I said not the end of the world, I used mine like that until I could replace it, but something to look into.

It looks pretty nice which is generally a good sign, someone wanted it to look nice enough to use. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions I have the same year scamp. Mine was rescued after sitting by a barn for many years, it had shall we say "issues" from not being used and maintained.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
One small issue, you need to make a stone guard for the front of your A/C.
It could be something as simple as a piece of luan to cover the condenser.
One little rock could ruin the A/C unit. Always be sure to remove it when you want to run the A/C though.

I would just make one out of sheet metal with a couple of hinges at the top so that you could just flip it up to operate it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp