Just painted my ensolite, looks real bad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hello fellow egg owners

I just painted my ensolite interior, it was not bad the way it was but my wife did not like the yellow/cream look.
I put on 2 coats of Acrylic Latex satin white. The first coat looked bad but we thought it will look great after the 2nd coat. It looked better but it still does not look good to me. It looks far too bright !
Has anyone out there painted their ensolite?
If so, what color did you use? I still have 3/4 of the gallon left that I bought so I was thinking I can
add some paint to neutralize the brightness of a paint a bit.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Darren Pettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #2

Just checked the can. I asked the girl at the paint counter for ACRYLIC LATEX WHITE.
She gave me BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Satin Enamel (ULTRA PURE WHITE).
Is this ok or did she give me something that never should have been put on ensolite?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I can't speak to the type of paint to put on the ensolite, but I can tell you that I saw a Boler this summer that had a second shade sponged onto the base colour. It seems like a nice way to tone down your white, while breaking up any seams or other imperfections.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #4

Quote:
I can't speak to the type of paint to put on the ensolite, but I can tell you that I saw a Boler this summer that had a second shade sponged onto the base colour. It seems like a nice way to tone down your white, while breaking up any seams or other imperfections.

I think it is the SATIN that is the problem. It is causing a glossy flash that interupts the nice clean white paint.
I went back to Home Depot and they toned down the paint a bit, this should help for another coat.
Also, I bought a flat white just in case.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Am I reading correctly that they gave you an enamel instead of the acrylic?????
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Am I reading correctly that they gave you an enamel instead of the acrylic?????

Yes, I went back and she said it is the same thing. She said the enamel paint is a latex with an additive for durability. I do not know if that is true, but that what she told me.
Anyone care to weigh in?
I always thought that enamel was a highly flammable outdoor paint.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There are different kinds of enamels - it doesn't necessarily signify just one type of paint.

What many people paint their Ensolite with is "acrylic latex enamel." This is not the rubbery latex of yesteryear, btw. I know several people who have painted boat cabins with acrylic latex enamel and been very satisfied over a period of years (semi-gloss).

I would think you *would* want at least a semi-gloss, for wipeability. After all, the original Ensolite is not flat.

Maybe it's the stark white that's getting to you and not the gloss level?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
There are different kinds of enamels - it doesn't necessarily signify just one type of paint.

What many people paint their Ensolite with is "acrylic latex enamel." This is not the rubbery latex of yesteryear, btw.

I would think you *would* want at least a semi-gloss, for wipeability. After all, the original Ensolite is not flat.

Maybe it's the stark white that's getting to you and not the gloss level?

Raya
Thanks for your replies, guys :-)
It is still drying so the jury is still out on the final look. Of course, with the temperature drop it has gotten colder and the 2nd coat in taking a LOT longer to dry.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
As a house painter would think you would want an enamel for cleaning as well. However if it is TOO BRIGHT than you can add a few ounces of something in a color to shade it yourself without having to get more paint. this works well actually and you control the amount of shading yourself. Also add a few drops of vanilla into the paint and the pain smell goes away.

would like to see some pictures...............

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
As a house painter would think you would want an enamel for cleaning as well. However if it is TOO BRIGHT than you can add a few ounces of something in a color to shade it yourself without having to get more paint. this works well actually and you control the amount of shading yourself. Also add a few drops of vanilla into the paint and the pain smell goes away.

would like to see some pictures...............

Alexandra
Thanks to all for your input. I added a drop of black to take the shine away and it looks amazing now !
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Many years ago I was doing some touch-up on a wall in a rental and my paint was just too white. I was in a hurry and added a little of my diet coke to it. It then matched perfectly!
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Many years ago I was doing some touch-up on a wall in a rental and my paint was just too white. I was in a hurry and added a little of my diet coke to it. It then matched perfectly!
LOL, the things you do in a pinch eh? LOL
Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1300
I used varathane colours enamal paint on my interior, went on great and turned out amazing if you like bright shiny white. Easy to clean as well and very very durable.
Gordon Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Zinsser Perma White. Great stuff for painting ensolite and seals for mold as well. 3+ years since painted with 2 adults and 2 kids hard camping and still in great shape.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote