K-line Trailer! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Thanks Steve........for the data on the roof supports.I will get at
it.There is always a way or two to get locking pins to work if
it changes height.Yours look very good.Now that the top is covered
with rug.It sags just a little.The braces will take that out.
Hi, I'm new at this, just bought a "K-line" I haven't seen anything about it on this site yet, but it sounds similiar to the Compact Jr. It has a Pop up roof. The supports are on the outside of the pop up, and all you do is push it up and it stays there and then you just pull it down and lock it in place. The problem we are having with ours is that the zipper is broken, and we were thinking of replacing the canvas and the zipper. The canvas that's there now is a dark green and makes the inside of the trailer quite dark. We're thinking of replacing it with something lighter in colour, to brighten it up. Has anyone out there ever done anything like this before? Has anyone ever heard of the "K-Line"? It was manufactured in Red Deer Alberta. around 1974 I think.
Michelle Hochachka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Hi, I'm new at this, just bought a "K-line" I haven't seen anything about it on this site yet, but it sounds similiar to the Compact Jr. It has a Pop up roof. The supports are on the outside of the pop up, and all you do is push it up and it stays there and then you just pull it down and lock it in place. The problem we are having with ours is that the zipper is broken, and we were thinking of replacing the canvas and the zipper. The canvas that's there now is a dark green and makes the inside of the trailer quite dark. We're thinking of replacing it with something lighter in colour, to brighten it up. Has anyone out there ever done anything like this before? Has anyone ever heard of the "K-Line"? It was manufactured in Red Deer Alberta. around 1974 I think.

Hmmm. The Compact Jr has unsprung supports located inside the trailer (and its popup is the full length of the trailer); sounds like your K-Line is more like the Compact II, which has sprung external supports (and the popup section is not the full length of the trailer).

On my sister's Compact Jr, it looks as though the average person could replace the canvas popup "boot" easily enough (if he had a sewing machine heavy enough to stitch the canvas)--it's just attached with a bunch of small bolts. But frankly, if Sis wanted new canvas on hers, I'd advise her to take it to an auto/boat upholstery shop--and I imagine it'd be easy as pie for them.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Michelle,
With the top mechanism on the outside of the vinyl, your trailer sounds more like a Trails West Campster.
http://album.fiberglassrv.com/gallery2/mai...?g2_itemId=1334

I recently had the vinyl replaced on my Compact Jr. I removed it and took it to a upholstery shop. The owner looked at it and said it was sort of like a Jeep top and he could duplicate it with no trouble. Two weeks later I had a new vinyl piece.

Tom Trostel
Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Michelle,
With the top mechanism on the outside of the vinyl, your trailer sounds more like a Trails West Campster.
http://album.fiberglassrv.com/gallery2/mai...?g2_itemId=1334
Michelle, we need pictures of your K-line! Here is a photo of the mechanism on the Campster. The piece across the bottom is a spring; all you do is push up from inside and it pops up. The canvas (which is really plastic in mine) has zippered, screened windows.

Bobbie
Attached Thumbnails
poptopmech.jpg  
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Michelle, we need pictures of your K-line! Here is a photo of the mechanism on the Campster. The piece across the bottom is a spring; all you do is push up from inside and it pops up. The canvas (which is really plastic in mine) has zippered, screened windows.

Bobbie
I'll try to get some pictures for you, soon as I figure out how to do it. . The pop up on ours is not the full length of the trailer, it's only half, or so. The problem is how to get it out. It's sorta wedged in between the trailer and the frame, glued or something. My husband thinks it would be better to just paint it. He seems to remember some kind of upholstery paint that will move with the fabric. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
I'll try to get some pictures for you, soon as I figure out how to do it. . The pop up on ours is not the full length of the trailer, it's only half, or so. The problem is how to get it out. It's sorta wedged in between the trailer and the frame, glued or something. My husband thinks it would be better to just paint it. He seems to remember some kind of upholstery paint that will move with the fabric. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

Mar-hyde is probably the stuff he's thinking of.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Mar-hyde is probably the stuff he's thinking of.
Thanks Steve, that helps.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:

Bobbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	1974kline.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	10400
[attachment=12888:atta
chment]
Hi Bobbie, I think I have this figured out, here are the pics of our k-line.......
Attached Thumbnails
k_lsideview.JPG   klinebackview.JPG  

Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #9

More pics, here's one of the pop up.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	k_lpopup.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	10401
Attached Thumbnails
klineinside.JPG   klinelabel.JPG  

Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #10

Registry
The mechanism is just like the Campster. The trailer isn't, though. Do you have more pictures of the interior and exterior?

Bobbie
Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Interesting find!

Another one for the Albums, Roger?

I had not heard of any fiberglass trailer manufacturers in Red Deer before. I suspect that they are long gone, out of business or on to other products. I did a little web searching for K-Line, but it is actually a commonly used name, so I didn't find anything promising.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
The mechanism is just like the Campster. The trailer isn't, though. Do you have more pictures of the interior and exterior?

Bobbie

Oops, didn't see the post above the mechanism one. The pop-top looks exactly like the Campster one. Same length, same type fabric, same mechanism. The trailer itself looks more like some of the Compact/Hunter types. Interior: left side looks like the Campster (but so do the Compacts.) Has the right been redone or is that the original interior? It looks longer, like the Compact II does, maybe with a shorter bed?

Interesting to find yet one more of this style of trailer! K-line, I noticed, still makes trailers, as does TrailsWest, but K-line makes no camping trailers, and TrailsWest only makes horse units with living quarters and without.

What year is your K-line?

Bobbie
Old 10-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Oops, didn't see the post above the mechanism one. The pop-top looks exactly like the Campster one. Same length, same type fabric, same mechanism. The trailer itself looks more like some of the Compact/Hunter types. Interior: left side looks like the Campster (but so do the Compacts.) Has the right been redone or is that the original interior? It looks longer, like the Compact II does, maybe with a shorter bed?

Interesting to find yet one more of this style of trailer! K-line, I noticed, still makes trailers, as does TrailsWest, but K-line makes no camping trailers, and TrailsWest only makes horse units with living quarters and without.

What year is your K-line?

Bobbie
Hi Bobbie, It's a 1974 model. As far as I know the interior is all original, except the ceiling over the back end where the table /bed is. It had a really poor job of one layer of fiberglass, some really thick foam and to cover it all up, there was this really thick velour stuff. We didn't like it. We riped it all out and will replace the fiberglass when we fix the sag in the roof. Then we will install some ensulate. At least that's the plan for now.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #14

Registry
It really looks to be the same mold as the Campster, just different interior. Mine is a 1970. Whatever its original insulation was has been replaced with some black furry stuff similar to a car carpet. My guess is that someone (maybe Hunter?) manufactured the shell and then sold it to various companies to complete. Either that, or the manufacturer made the shells and then did the interiors to the specs of the company whose name would ultimately go on it.

Bobbie