Kayak rack when towing fifth wheel Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Kayak rack when towing fifth wheel Scamp

I have a Nissan Frontier crew cab for towing my 19'Scamp. I struggled to find a way to take kayaks with me short of buying inflatables which, upon investigation, was not a good option for me. I saw a Thule T bar for canoes that mounted to a rear receiver hitch and called Thule to see if it would work on a front mounted hitch. As far over my truck bed as the camper comes when I turn, the kayaks were too long for a standard roof rack.

Thule sent me part numbers but made it clear that they had not tested front mounting the T bar and I was on my own. I went to REI and ordered a T bar, roof rack and a roller to help get kayaks on the rack. Another issue is that I am a female with limited upper body strength (and gray hair) so we had to find a solution that my daughter and I could manage without having to lift 50# kayaks overhead.

The installers at REI were great and between us found a way to make it work. I got Nissan to install a front hitch for the T bar. I had to order a standard roof rack which comes with 2 cross bars even tho I theoretically only need one on the roof. The roller was to be mounted on the T bar so kayaks could be loaded from the front. My daughter and I did not have the strength to accomplish this. The installers allowed us to think creatively and we decided to put the extra bar and roller at the back of the cab. I can bring get the boat up from the back and get it on the roller without ever lifting it over my head. My daughter walks the nose to the T bar and we tie it on, then slide the roller over to load the second boat. Works like a charm.

We took the boats to New River State Park this past weekend and had a ball. Again, Thule has not tested this and won't recommend this although it is identical to their rear mounted set up. However, it worked just fine for us.
Attached Thumbnails
1467341261029.jpg   1467341290104.jpg  

Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Looks like a nice installation and a good solution to a problem faced by owners of 19' Scamps that also like to canoe or kayak.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #4

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Nice job! I too am a small woman traveling solo though...I have the Scamp 16 and towing with a Toyota Highlander. Your set up might help me bring my hard kayak along too... thanks for being a problem solver and sharing it with us! Teal
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Hi again... how are you getting the kayaks that high up into the air to reach the roof rack?
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
Hi again... how are you getting the kayaks that high up into the air to reach the roof rack?
What do you think of the Thule Hullavator rack ? I know of a couple people that have them and think they are great.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

North Carolina
We bring them up the back through the bed. The roof of the cab isn't high when you stand in the bed.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #8

North Carolina
I looked at the hullivator and have an acquaintance with one. The problem w my gooseneck is that the boats ride too far back on a regular roof rack or the hullivator. The I corner sharply the trailer would hit the boats.

Tags
scamp