Kayak racks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Kayak racks?

Now we are in the market for a fiberglass trailer. We’d like to stay under 20 feet so the little trailers appeal to us. The 16 ft Scamp and Casita are definitely on our watch list.
One question though. I sent Big Foot a message about their older 5th wheel regarding the installation of a kayak rack. Their reply was “The only change is there is no blocking in the roof to mount to.”
I have no clue what years that referred to.
Does anyone know or have mounted kayak racks to the Bigfoot, Scamp or Casita 5th wheel or bumper pull trailers of these brands.
The 5th wheel would be awesome for us as we are very active.
Thank you,
Sisu aka Scott
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you mount racks on your trailer, you will have to drag your trailer to the put-in and take-out, or you will have to move the boats to racks on your tow vehicle.
I carried my canoe on top of my tent trailer once.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Think about what their situation is actually like. The 5th wheel mounts into the bed of the truck. The truck roof is not long enough for a kayak rack. This is why they are asking about how to mount it on the roof of the 5th wheel.

Putting it on the roof of the tow vehicle won't work for them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Putting it on the roof of the tow vehicle won't work for them.

Depends on the vehicle. It's been done.
Look it up.
https://www.google.com/search?q=carr...778wVV28vJN-M:
Old 09-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
One question though. I sent Big Foot a message about their older 5th wheel regarding the installation of a kayak rack. Their reply was “The only change is there is no blocking in the roof to mount to.”

I have no clue what years that referred to...
All the Bigfoot fifth wheels- 80’s and early 90’s, I think- fall into the “older years” category.

What kind and size kayaks? How many? Weight?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

Alaska
You’re correct. I’ve looked at the space between the 5th wheel and my 8’ long bed quad cab Cummins Dodge. It isn’t enough room.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #7

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
All the Bigfoot fifth wheels- 80’s and early 90’s, I think- fall into the “older years” category.

What kind and size kayaks? How many? Weight?
Well we own many, but the most used are our 12’ Wilderness sit a tops. The roads in the Yukon, Alaska and Northern BC are rough at times. That’s why I’m asking. If we buy a bumper pull trailer no problem(truck has Al bed racks that are removable) but the 5th wheel presents one.
BTW, does anyone ever reply to questions in the for sale section of this site? I’ve sent out several inquiries but no one responds.
Scott
Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Well we own many, but the most used are our 12’ Wilderness sit a tops. The roads in the Yukon, Alaska and Northern BC are rough at times. That’s why I’m asking. If we buy a bumper pull trailer no problem(truck has Al bed racks that are removable) but the 5th wheel presents one.
BTW, does anyone ever reply to questions in the for sale section of this site? I’ve sent out several inquiries but no one responds.
Scott
Rarely. Research the seller and check out their post count. If they have a count of lets say 10 or less, then they obviously are NOT active here. Best to check Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace on their location, and you may find it for sale there.

Many sellers use this forum to promote their trailer for sale, a trailer they have posted on a variety of sites, all over the web. And then it sells and they never follow up. If I was king of the day, I would add a rule to postings for sale. Sellers would need to comment back once a week or their listing would be deleted. Something like: "Still available". But hey, I'm not king.

I have found you are better off searching C/L, FB marketplace, and similar.

And questions beyond, would you contact me? are a waste of time. Save the questions for a conversation with the seller.

I've seen a variety of boats on top of the cab of trucks pulling fifth wheels. Sure, it takes a custom rack. Link above gives examples.

You may find a better choice is to RENT a kayak at your destination instead.

One thing about molded FG trailers is the roofs are often not designed to handle any weight on top. Older trailers are the worst about this.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #9

Alaska
Thank you Bill.
Renting isn’t an option as we use ours for fishing salmon, halibut & rock fish. They have been modified by us for this specific purpose. We have a big salt water boat but towing from Juneau to SE Alaska would be really difficult on it do to road conditions.
I’m not a great Al welder but a custom rack like I saw on the link would be possible.
Have a great day and thank you for the responses. The Northern Lite site was just like this one, very helpful.
Thank you
Scott
Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Depends on the vehicle. It's been done.
Look it up.
https://www.google.com/search?q=carr...778wVV28vJN-M:
I cannot imagine how you would even be able to load a kayak on top of a camper trailer or a 5th wheel trailer without a lot of effort. And having to take the trailer to the takeout and put-in each time I wanted to paddle would get old really fast! One or fewer trips having to do all of that and I would definitely switch from paddling to cycling!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yeah, loading a kayak or whatever on the roof of even our little Casita 16 would be quite a challenge, its 7' or so up in the air, so you'd have to lift the kayak like 8' high, that would take two strong folks on two ladders.... I'd be using a roof rack on my tow vehicle, I do believe.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #12

Oregon
where there is a will to get a Kayak up on the roof of a tall vehicle there is someone who shows how they did it on youtube. In this world there are of clever folks who are good at designer things that use mechanical advantage to solve such problems. Fortunately I share space with on of those types but I am not nearly as clever as he.

Here is the youtube video that shows building a simple to assemble, portable crane hoist. Ladder is required.

Video title: Hobie Tandem Island kayak canoe hoist crane lifting system by DIY Rog.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #13

Hope he has energy to paddle after all those trips up the ladder ( which he stores on the roof of his camper? ).
Old 09-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #14

Alaska
You guys kill me. IF there was a rack on the 5th wheel it would be ONLY for transportation to the camping site. THEN said kayaks get removed (probably with the help of the truck or ladder) and put on the truck’s rack(which I have welded up already).
I put an 8’ Zodiac on the pilot house of my Raider 2284 both on land and from water no problem and it’s higher than 8 feet.
You just need Alaskan stupidity to over come problems. Bawhahaha
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
THEN said kayaks get removed (probably with the help of the truck or ladder) and put on the truck’s rack(which I have welded up already).

Why wouldn't you put the kayaks on the truck rack in the first place? Why put them on a trailer rack and then move them to the truck?

Matters not to me what you do.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
You just need Alaskan stupidity to over come problems. Bawhahaha
Alaska has some type of specialized and exclusive to Alaska stupidity? Do tell us an example of that, we need to be amused.

Of course in the 7 years I lived there I never noticed it being anything different than regular stupidity which is normal everywhere on the planet. But then who am I to judge, I be normal and do stupid stuff all the time.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #17

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
I've wondered about kayak racks on the side. Given the narrow width of most FG trailers, I think it could work. Maybe utilizing the belly band as a mount point.

Not wondering enough to actually try it, but I have wondered.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I've wondered about kayak racks on the side. Given the narrow width of most FG trailers, I think it could work. Maybe utilizing the belly band as a mount point.

Narrow is relative. Many of the narrower ones are 80” wide. If you take 8’ as a reasonable maximum, you only have 16” to work with.

Appearance aside, it seems like a vulnerable place to put them. It’d need reinforcing plates inside the shell.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

the belly band is purely cosmetic, not at all structural.

even if the kayak is light, its a big sail at 60 MPH and subject to all sorts of lateral buffeting, like when you pass or are passed by a big truck.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #20

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Parkliner
Ohio
We shove my 37 lb. 10' long sit-in kayak through the back emergency escape window of my Parkliner. It rides on the bed with the nose extending into the bathroom. Cushions wedge it tight. Good for a day or so of travel but accessing the inside of the trailer is a bit challenging. When we get to the camp, we disconnect the trailer and take it in our truck bed to the launch site. Works well for us.

Maybe an inflatable kayak for a long trip to Alaska. We also have a tandem with drop stitching, a newer technology that, when inflated, makes the sides and bottom of it almost as hard as a traditional kayak. It tracks well and is fast too.
DavenBecky is offline   Reply With Quote