Keeping dust out of trailer on gravel roads - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
I don't know much about the Parkliner, but on Scamp trailers, the worst place for dust infiltration (other than the door) is where the body joins the floor. Scamps are fiberglassed underneath, all around the perimeter. If any of that fiberglass has come loose, dust and water can get up inside. Another place they leak is where the "box" that extends forward of the main walking area (under center of the front bunk on the 13' Scamp) can begin to separate from the front plywood. I've found all these leaks the hard way!
Michael Furtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggonehappy1 View Post
Thanks for all the advise and experience sharing Jack. We are leaving MD in about a week, doing the fall end rather than the spring. It’s a bucket list trip for my husband, who has been there many times but mostly flying in small planes for work. I really don’t want to wreck our sweet trailer or be jostled to death so he may leave me and the trailer in a campground while he travels the gravel roads of the Dempster and the Dalton.
Fall starts early in AK and the Yukon as well. We left for AK last year on August 10th, a late start for sure. But we tend to cover a lot of miles on travel days, more than most here are comfortable doing. We covered 11,000 miles, multiple nights in Edmonton, Fairbanks, Denali, and Homer, and on the return, multiple nights in Omak, WA, and four nights at Yellowstone. Arrived home on September 10th.

You have to be really comfortable in your TV and towing in general. Otherwise, its better to leave in early June and take a longer trip like most sane people do.

I would certainly not do it in any shorter time. Distance from my home in NC is about the same as yours from Maryland.

I too found the main Alcan was in fine shape in 2018 and was a non-event as far as the drive. And we came back the Cassiar Highway which was also in excellent shape. Earlier trips this was not the case. We took the Cassiar in 2002 and had over 100 miles of deep mud. We were on a motorcycle that trip so it was an adventure to remember! This time there was about 1/4 mile of gravel on the entire Cassiar.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot
Iowa
Registry
I just returned a few days ago from 10 week, 12,000 mile Alaska road trip. Drove to Prudhoe Bay, left the Bigfoot in Fairbanks. I personally would not take a nice camper up that road.
Just my opinion, of course.
John Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #24

Name: Beth
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwell View Post
We drove the Haul Road to the Arctic Circle in 2016. Left our Casita in Fairbanks for a few days. The road is very rough. The truckers on the Haul Road drove like mad men. We pulled off the road whenever we saw one coming in the hopes they would not hit us or damage our vehicle. Quite frankly, they appeared ready to run over us. They do create great clouds of dust.

Westwell where did you leave your casita and would you recommend?
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #25

Name: Beth
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ed View Post
I just returned a few days ago from 10 week, 12,000 mile Alaska road trip. Drove to Prudhoe Bay, left the Bigfoot in Fairbanks. I personally would not take a nice camper up that road.
Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks so much. Where did you leave trailer in Fairbanks?
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot
Iowa
Registry
We left the trailer at Tanana Valley RV Park. Very nice campground. We needed an electric hook-up, as the frig was full of frozen halibut.
John Ed is offline   Reply With Quote