Keeping Generator Safe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Keeping Generator Safe

Hi all,
I'll be going to the Quartzsite gathering in Feb. and it will be my first time dry camping. I have a generator that I'd like to bring along. Someone once told me to chain it to my bumper. Is there any special or particular type of chain that should be used? How may feet should I get?

Hope to meet some of you there. I'd like to get ideas on making the closets more useful and also installing a laminate floor in my 13' Scamp.

Thanks,
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I use a Kyptonyte U lock to lock mine to the tongue of my rig. It runs through the handle of the genny and around the frame. The handle is molded into the case, so cutting it off would ruin the genny.

That said, it isn't so secure that anyone with a newer battery operated grinder would feel challenged by. I watched a guy cut a hefty lock off a toyhauler the other day because he lost his key.

I cut a decent lock of my hitch a couple months ago with a hand hack saw for the same reason. It was scary how easy it was.

You shouldn't be overly concerned in Q.. there are always people around and it will be under watchful eyes while you are here.

Locks only keep honest folks honest and opportunists with less opportunity.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
If you are coming to our gathering you'll find lots of us have generators. Mine happens to be in the tongue box but others have them out and chained to their trailers.

Before the tongue box, my gen. got chained to the tongue with a case harden, very big, chain that was purchased for chaining a motorcycle. I also used a case hardened lock.

There are lots of us around, everyone is not gone at the same time. Some don't seem to leave the area the entire weekend. So I wouldn't worry about it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Joy & Gina:
Thanks for the info. I'll look around to see if I can get either the motor cycle chain or the Krypto lock. Just for safe keeping.
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They say that locks keep honest people honest and dishonest people will just work harder to steal. That said, there is a nice item here called "ToyLoK" which has a retractable cable.
Cequent Performance Products - ToyLok - Locks & Fasteners - Camping World
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Hi all,
I have a generator that I'd like to bring along. Someone once told me to chain it to my bumper. Is there any special or particular type of chain that should be used? How may feet should I get?
Alice
Alice,

I use a good quality bicycle cable and case hardened lock (sometimes two). The cables come in many different lengths and are saw and bolt cutter resistant.

The chain removes the temptation and keeps mostly honest people honest. If someone really wants your genny there isn't a lock/chain combo around that will keep it safe. The handles on my Yamaha can be removed with tools most people have, can be cut with a hacksaw blade, etc. Most generators will still work if the handle(s) is cut - just ruins the ability to sell it. The chain slows down the process, preventing a snatch and run.

Have fun in Quartzite.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I think there's one with an alarm on it too. just added protection
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Harbor Freight has a plethora of Krypto type locs and cables at really reasonable prices.

I have a cable crimper and I purchased plastic coated cable at Lowes and make my own cables and lock everything down. The cables come in different sizes so I chose one that seams to satisfy the task at hand. No matter how large a chain can be, it can be cut if the thief wants it bad enough. Extremely large chains will be rather hard to attach to the generator and should you loop it around the tubing chassis the generator is in, I would just cut the tube and remove the chain then fix the sawed tube later.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator