Keeping it all together. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
So I was wondering what solutions everyone has to keeping their glasses,plates and stuff in their cupboards in one place. I have the two door cupboard over the Appliances which we are keeping 4 plates,bowels and glasses. I've only taken the Trillium on one tow to be weighed and the stuff was scattered. Do I need baskets? Custom containers? Love to see some pics and ideas.
Paper plates and bowls work pretty good. We just stand them on edge at the end of cupboard. So far they've stayed put and we don't have to worry about breakage, or using water to wash dishes. Flat ware is disposable plastic too.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Paper plates and bowls work pretty good.
Not the ones I have ever used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Paper plates and bowls work pretty good. We just stand them on edge at the end of cupboard. So far they've stayed put and we don't have to worry about breakage, or using water to wash dishes. Flat ware is disposable plastic too.
Yes, they save water especially for boondocking or long stays. We have only a few breakable items. We have some plastic items but of course that's water.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not the ones I have ever used.
I will gladly stick with paper and plastic flatware unless the meal is soup, stew, or some kind of meat requiring a steak knife. I, too, see no reason to waste water but more importantly, I don't go camping to spend limited recreational time washing dishes. I would rather enjoy the outdoor world or the after supper campfire. And the paper products usually make good fire starting material. But I can understand the desire to eat off of something more substantial than paper. I'm just not willing to compromise my outdoor/camping time to do so. Same reason I drink beer from the bottle or the can rather than a glass that will have to be washed!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I don't go camping to spend limited recreational time washing dishes.
Unless you have some method for cooking without pots and pans, or cooking utensils, you only save the seconds per meal to wipe a few dishes. I do very little cooking or dishes at home, but when camping love pitching in to do both. We almost always do them outside, where there is lots to see. We usually socialize while doing dishes too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I don't think we have ever spent more than 5 minutes doing dishes - only 2 eating.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #27

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
We've come from a tent trailer so noting is really breakable. All our plates were stored in a square bag with the cupboard liners between each plate for added protection. The bag fit in the lower cupboard in the the tent trailer but not in the upper cupboards in the Trillium. Lots of good solutions for storage and we'll have to find what works well for us.

From time to time we have used paper plates but mostly with larger groups.
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Keeping it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Unless you have some method for cooking without pots and pans, or cooking utensils, you only save the seconds per meal to wipe a few dishes. I do very little cooking or dishes at home, but when camping love pitching in to do both. We almost always do them outside, where there is lots to see. We usually socialize while doing dishes too.

I have at times stated on this forum that our style of camping is more touring/sight seeing than sitting around a campsite. Typically breakfast is toast/English muffin/cereal (in a paper bowl), and then we are off. Lunch is usually at some commercial facility. That leaves one meal a day at the camper if we are not out late. If it rains we cook in the microwave, usually something packaged in its own "dish." If not, it's usually something on the barbecue with vegetables cooked on the barbecue or nuked, with maybe one utensil if not using a plastic fork. Sometimes it's supermarket deli food if we stop on the way back because we are pressed for time. So yes, 95% of our cooking is done without pots and pans. We maybe have dishes to wash once a week when we are on the road and I am very satisfied with that arrangement. As far as socializing, I personally prefer to give 100% of my attention to whomever is socializing with us. Once again, each to their own; whatever someone likes to do or works for them they should do. Not spending time to do dishes and to properly dispose of the wash and rinse water, and then cleaning the dish pans works for us.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I have at times stated on this forum that our style of camping is more touring/sight seeing than sitting around a campsite. Typically breakfast is toast/English muffin/cereal (in a paper bowl), and then we are off. Lunch is usually at some commercial facility. That leaves one meal a day at the camper if we are not out late. If it rains we cook in the microwave, usually something packaged in its own "dish." If not, it's usually something on the barbecue with vegetables cooked on the barbecue or nuked, with maybe one utensil if not using a plastic fork. Sometimes it's supermarket deli food if we stop on the way back because we are pressed for time. So yes, 95% of our cooking is done without pots and pans. We maybe have dishes to wash once a week when we are on the road and I am very satisfied with that arrangement. As far as socializing, I personally prefer to give 100% of my attention to whomever is socializing with us. Once again, each to their own; whatever someone likes to do or works for them they should do. Not spending time to do dishes and to properly dispose of the wash and rinse water, and then cleaning the dish pans works for us.

That is what we do, use the least amount of water that way. Also they came a long way from the old days of paper plates and bowls. Lots of out standing materials and colors. Plastic flatware is to be recycled. Cost a little more but hey, enjoy. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote