KEEPING OUT THE UNWANTED - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

I live in rural SW Florida........mud dobbers (wasps) are a real problem here, they install "mud" in every little hole, even so far as filling up the grounding hole on the female side of an extension cord left outside......I was(am) very concerned that they will fill up every area of my new Scamp....the heater and ref grills are just inviting them to "come on in", so I bought some 1/2 inch strips of sticky back magnet, stuck the magnet tape to the outside of the grills and thento pieces of screen cut to fit...reversing the magnetic fields...now the grills are completely covered and I just have to pull off the screen/mag strips and I am ready to go. Seems to work great, maybe someone else can use the idea.

LIFE IS GOOD!!
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good idea---thanks for imput.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Great Idea...Wish I would have though about the magnetic tape.
I installed snaps with rivets onto the grills on my Boler and then onto material.
Although we in the Maine do have mud daubers I was more conserned with paper wasps and blowing snow getting in there and doing more rust damage to the back of fridge.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thanks for the reminder on the screening.. i must go get some.. when it was warm here the other day i counted at least 15 hornets out under the patio!! EEEK!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Scamp owner (now Funfinder and Alite)
My solution to keep the wasps at bay as well as other unwanted critters is to screen all the openings. I cover all outside vents with aluminum screen on the inside of the vent and secure it with "Gorilla" tape. Take care not to block air flow with too much tape. The furnace exaust I fabricate a screen in a cone shape and insert into the round vent. The conical shape provides additional surface area so as not to interfere with the exaust flow.

Even the smallest opening is a doorway for small insects, so I try to block any other small holes with foam or whatever, around windows, doors, the electric cord, etc.

" There might be bugs on some of those mugs, but there aint no bugs on me".

Quote:
I live in rural SW Florida........mud dobbers (wasps) are a real problem here, they install "mud" in every little hole, even so far as filling up the grounding hole on the female side of an extension cord left outside......I was(am) very concerned that they will fill up every area of my new Scamp....the heater and ref grills are just inviting them to "come on in", so I bought some 1/2 inch strips of sticky back magnet, stuck the magnet tape to the outside of the grills and thento pieces of screen cut to fit...reversing the magnetic fields...now the grills are completely covered and I just have to pull off the screen/mag strips and I am ready to go. Seems to work great, maybe someone else can use the idea.
LIFE IS GOOD!!
gheicher is offline   Reply With Quote