Keeping warm in the Rockies - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Egg Camper
West Virginia
Keeping warm in the Rockies

Hey there,
My husband very recently found himself having to live out of our egg camper as we try to make a new life for ourselves and son. We live in the calmer Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia, and also don't find ourselves camping in the extreme cold. So here is my questions, what can he do to keep warmer for a temporary home. We have a Nice radiant heater. But what else, how would you attach under pinning? Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
FT through NJ winter in Casita?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter.php

Gorilla Tape to hold Reflectix to outside?

Living in my Scamp in the snow...

gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Insulate the windows and the vent, maybe the AC if you have it and can feel cold from it. Rugs on the floor will help too. Suppose you could try bales of straw around the perimeter.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

Name: Anita
Trailer: Egg Camper
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Insulate the windows and the vent, maybe the AC if you have it and can feel cold from it. Rugs on the floor will help too. Suppose you could try bales of straw around the perimeter.
I thought about hay bails, do you think moisture would be a problems ?
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
My wife and I lived in a 5th wheel Holiday Rambler in Santa Fe New Mexico ( elevation right around 7000 ft elevation with pretty cold winters ) for 7 years while working there . What we did was place 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber flat around the perimeter of the trailer. Next purchase 4 x 8 foam insulation in whatever thickness you feel is appropriate ( I think you can get it all the way up to 4 inches ). Now cut 4 feet wide pieces just a smidge taller than needed to reach from top of 2x6s to bottom of trailer and then wedge then in around the perimeter. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Heat rises, so the greatest heat loss would be through the roof. I wonder if some flexible closed-cell foam could be added around the ceiling? Something with some ability to be curved, yet stiff enough to hold itself up against the ceiling, would help a lot. And putting some insulating material on top of the roof (provided it isn't heavy and doesn't accumulate snow) would be another way to hold in the rising heat.

Secondarily, any drafty cracks or openings would lose heat, but eggs are pretty good in that regard. The next thing that comes to mind is some shrink-plastic overlapping the windows on the inside, which helps a little bit... or you could even put some pieces of Reflectix against the windows and vent, at least at night.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Keeping warm

Some may have more experience. In addition to the modifications, I would invest in a good old electric blanket. Next, I'd try to find a recreation center, social center, or perhaps church programs where I could spend awake hours, stay warm, and avoid cabin fever. I don't think a bar would be my answer. Some companies have facilities. How about a bowling league?

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote