Kitchen drawer slides? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Since I used to design kitchens and have toured cabinet manufacturers facilities I know a little about drawer slides...
There are two basic types. Side mount slides and bottom mount slides. Bottom mounts are best and result in a wider drawer space for the opening available. They also glide better when drawer weight increases...the side mounts tend to bind as Heavy loads are applied.
If you are handy with carpenter skills you can fabricate drawers, frames etc.
Then add the hardware which can be purchased at most home centers and building supply centers. Hardware can also be found via an Internet search.
Cabinet manufacturers all source their hardware from one of a few suppliers.

I have not seen that "lift-up then pull" style of drawer mechanism in quite a few years....was common in RVs for many years.

If I ever get a creative urge I will design a new drawer system for my travel trailer...or just go fishing!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Since I used to design kitchens and have toured cabinet manufacturers facilities I know a little about drawer slides...
There are two basic types. Side mount slides and bottom mount slides. Bottom mounts are best and result in a wider drawer space for the opening available. They also glide better when drawer weight increases...the side mounts tend to bind as Heavy loads are applied.
If you are handy with carpenter skills you can fabricate drawers, frames etc.
Then add the hardware which can be purchased at most home centers and building supply centers. Hardware can also be found via an Internet search.
Cabinet manufacturers all source their hardware from one of a few suppliers.

I have not seen that "lift-up then pull" style of drawer mechanism in quite a few years....was common in RVs for many years.

If I ever get a creative urge I will design a new drawer system for my travel trailer...or just go fishing!
Thanks for the information. I am trying to not use the metal ball bearing slides because of the cost, and the tendency(sp?) for the drawers to come open while traveling.

Bill

Old 12-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #17

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
My 2004 Trillium Outback has the lift and pull style of drawer. I'm trying to figure out how to get the drawer out so I can put some sort of plastic cover on the lower edges as it makes a horrible screeching sound going in and out. I pulled it out a s far as it wood go and rubbed wax on but to no avail.

Anyone have an idea on how to remove the drawer? Short of dismantling the whole thing?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
My 2004 Trillium Outback has the lift and pull style of drawer. I'm trying to figure out how to get the drawer out so I can put some sort of plastic cover on the lower edges as it makes a horrible screeching sound going in and out. I pulled it out a s far as it wood go and rubbed wax on but to no avail.

Anyone have an idea on how to remove the drawer? Short of dismantling the whole thing?
No doubt you have tried this...but, I have found that some drawers can be removed by pulling them out as far as they will go, and then lifting the front of the drawer some 45 degrees or more, and pulling outward.

It helps if the drawer is empty!

Bill
Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #19

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I remember the 'lift and slide' drawers too. Never had one open while traveling!
I've also seen them with covers over the drawer so things don't bounce around and out of the drawers on a rough road.