Kitchen drawer slides? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Kitchen drawer slides?

Yes indeed...I'm back with another question!

I'm considering installing some drawers in my 1978 Scamp 13', and do not want to use the extending metal drawer slides for several reasons.

Years ago our first travel trailer was a 17-foot Lark. It had a nice lay out, and was a joy for our family to use for several years! But, it was built so cheaply that I had to repair it after each trip! The kitchen drawers were just plastic tubs stapled to a wood front!

However, it had a feature on the kitchen drawers I'd like to duplicate. To pull the drawer out, you first had to lift up on the drawer facing and pull.

There was a lip of some kind that kept the drawer from opening when traveling. I believe it was just a simple method, but, my memory of the construction is long gone!

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I have checked several sources, but have yet to find anything like this illustrated.

Any help, suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Personally, I have never seen such a drawer. Perhaps a boating supply house would know of one. You could also install a "childproof" latch which is simply opened by an adult yet will not open far when in place. http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Loaded-...ds=drawer+lock
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had a Lark trailer. I remember the notched drawer slides. You had to lift up on the drawer to get it to slide out.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends on your budget, but you could always order what you need: Pull out shelves for your RV or Motorhome
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #5

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Kitchen drawer slides?

Escape uses that kind of drawer. I'd send you a photo but my trailer is in storage at the moment. Any other Escape owners who can help Bill?
Just realized it's probably based on sliders...but worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Most drawers that don't use slides have the sides extended down a little beyond the bottom to create a kind of runner--like on a sleigh. You'd just have to notch that just behind the drawer front and mount a small stop piece across the bottom of the opening. It's a simple lift and pull. When you close the drawer it would just drop into place. Just leave a little up and down play in the drawer.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
My parents' old Coachmen had drawers like you describe. Our new Escape's drawers seem different.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Personally, I have never seen such a drawer. Perhaps a boating supply house would know of one. You could also install a "childproof" latch which is simply opened by an adult yet will not open far when in place. http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Loaded-...ds=drawer+lock
Thanks Gilda for the link and information.

From the photo of the "childproof" latch, I'm guessing that a person would have to open the drawer slightly, and depress the spring loaded catch to open the drawer completely? Sure cheap enough!

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I had a Lark trailer. I remember the notched drawer slides. You had to lift up on the drawer to get it to slide out.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie, now I know that I wasn't crazy!

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Depends on your budget, but you could always order what you need: Pull out shelves for your RV or Motorhome
Ha! If only my budget would expand that much! Nice looking drawers!

Thanks Donna D.!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Most drawers that don't use slides have the sides extended down a little beyond the bottom to create a kind of runner--like on a sleigh. You'd just have to notch that just behind the drawer front and mount a small stop piece across the bottom of the opening. It's a simple lift and pull. When you close the drawer it would just drop into place. Just leave a little up and down play in the drawer.

Philip, after reading you comments, I'm slowly remembering how the Lark drawers were constructed!

Even with my limited woodworking skills, hopefully, I will be able to make something like that.

Of course, a photo would sure help!

Mary F. Thank you for your comments!

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1450279122.755927.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	91129
I'm not the world's best draftsman!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #13

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Attachment 91129

Thank you Philip very much! That drawing will enable me to start work on my Scamp's kitchen drawers!

Nothing wrong with you draftsman skills!!! Thanks again!

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Attachment 91129

Been familiar with that "lift and slide forward" drawer construction in travel trailers "forever" -- our amerigo (Glatisant the Dragon Egg) had those, too, before we got home and found them all fallen into separate components...will reassemble them eventually...very much liked the drawing because I've never looked underneath. Wonderfully simple method, a good guide for what we're aiming at...probably Paul would have managed, but it's always helpful if I understand what he's up to.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Since I used to design kitchens and have toured cabinet manufacturers facilities I know a little about drawer slides...
There are two basic types. Side mount slides and bottom mount slides. Bottom mounts are best and result in a wider drawer space for the opening available. They also glide better when drawer weight increases...the side mounts tend to bind as Heavy loads are applied.
If you are handy with carpenter skills you can fabricate drawers, frames etc.
Then add the hardware which can be purchased at most home centers and building supply centers. Hardware can also be found via an Internet search.
Cabinet manufacturers all source their hardware from one of a few suppliers.

I have not seen that "lift-up then pull" style of drawer mechanism in quite a few years....was common in RVs for many years.

If I ever get a creative urge I will design a new drawer system for my travel trailer...or just go fishing!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Since I used to design kitchens and have toured cabinet manufacturers facilities I know a little about drawer slides...
There are two basic types. Side mount slides and bottom mount slides. Bottom mounts are best and result in a wider drawer space for the opening available. They also glide better when drawer weight increases...the side mounts tend to bind as Heavy loads are applied.
If you are handy with carpenter skills you can fabricate drawers, frames etc.
Then add the hardware which can be purchased at most home centers and building supply centers. Hardware can also be found via an Internet search.
Cabinet manufacturers all source their hardware from one of a few suppliers.

I have not seen that "lift-up then pull" style of drawer mechanism in quite a few years....was common in RVs for many years.

If I ever get a creative urge I will design a new drawer system for my travel trailer...or just go fishing!
Thanks for the information. I am trying to not use the metal ball bearing slides because of the cost, and the tendency(sp?) for the drawers to come open while traveling.

Bill
Old 12-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #17

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
My 2004 Trillium Outback has the lift and pull style of drawer. I'm trying to figure out how to get the drawer out so I can put some sort of plastic cover on the lower edges as it makes a horrible screeching sound going in and out. I pulled it out a s far as it wood go and rubbed wax on but to no avail.

Anyone have an idea on how to remove the drawer? Short of dismantling the whole thing?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #18

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
My 2004 Trillium Outback has the lift and pull style of drawer. I'm trying to figure out how to get the drawer out so I can put some sort of plastic cover on the lower edges as it makes a horrible screeching sound going in and out. I pulled it out a s far as it wood go and rubbed wax on but to no avail.

Anyone have an idea on how to remove the drawer? Short of dismantling the whole thing?
No doubt you have tried this...but, I have found that some drawers can be removed by pulling them out as far as they will go, and then lifting the front of the drawer some 45 degrees or more, and pulling outward.

It helps if the drawer is empty!

Bill
Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I remember the 'lift and slide' drawers too. Never had one open while traveling!
I've also seen them with covers over the drawer so things don't bounce around and out of the drawers on a rough road.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote