L'il Bigfoot Rockguard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13 ft
I have a 1987 L'il Bigfoot (13 ft) trailer which I bought used a few years ago. Unfortunately this model did not come with a rockguard for the front window, although it was available as a factory option. During a recent trip to the Yukon, the front window (plexiglas) cracked and blew in during a rainstorm, resulting in a real mess. I have since replaced the window with Lexan using RTV Silicone, but have not yet road-tested the new window.

I would like to get a rockguard to fit this trailer so that I do not break the new window, or have the silicon adhesive give way from repeated flexing of the Lexan in the wind at highway speeds. Since Bigfoot no longer makes this model and has thrown away the rockguard mold, so I guess I will have to make one. The front window on this trailer has a lot more curvature than either the 13 foot Boler or Trillium, so it looks like I will have to get a rockguard custom fabricated from fibreglas or aluminum.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this sort of problem? Also, I would appreciate any advice on hinge and latch options, assuming that I can make a rockguard.

Thanks,

Michael Sinclair
Michael Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: On our Boler the mfg. used the cut outs from the front/back windows 1 as rock guard 2 as a skid plate for the water tank under the rear of the trailer!!! I am thinking it could be used as a replacement rock guard if needed and some other method used to hold up the tank!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Michael, I too needed a rock guard for my Scamp and as Alf mentioned, rock guards from Scamp are usually made from the cutouts for the windows...not in my case. I ordered the aftermarket guard from Scamp and it is a completely flat piece of fiberglass. I have found when towing the Scamp the force of the wind causes the flat piece of fiberglass to curve to the shape of the window/front of the trailer. So, while it doesn't hold that shape when parked, it protects the window when needed and works just fine.

Perhaps this would work for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Donna,
I am picturing you climbing out the side window of you tow at speed to look at the curve in the rock guard while moving.......

Why are you doing this ????
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
: Donna will do anything in the name of FGRV research

Quote:
am picturing you climbing out the side window of you tow at speed to look at the curve in the rock guard while moving.......

Why are you doing this ????
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Comics, every group has comics
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot