leak at filler tube on freshwater tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
leak at filler tube on freshwater tank

Hi, our next leak is somewhere in the filler for the freshwater tank. After I filled it with the hose we had water running around the floor in the back storage compartments. The tank is at the rear and we can't physically reach the filler area on the tank through the storage compartments to assess or fix what is leaking without apparently removing the bench... But before we do that I thought I'd ask if anyone has suggestions on approaching this?
Also, any tips on drying out the flooring when it has had leaking? The area at the very front of the Scamp in the bathroom and front closet is still damp, in spite of pulling up the carpet and letting it air out for several days...we're thinking of putting a large dehumidifier in there.
-Heidi
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Use the hair dryer. I can get to my fresh water fill tube, but if you really can't get to it you may have to remove the bench.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Also use the dehumidifier.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #4

New Hampshire
Thanks. I wish we had a garage to put it into when it rains in case more areas are leaking. Thinking about a tarp...or would it rub on the fiberglass and ruin it?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I don't know, I live in the desert and the last time it rained was last July or August.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #6

New Hampshire
Wow, overnight the dehumidifier has already made a big improvement! Thanks everyone!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #7

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
It seems that the water system was never intended to be repaired by human hands. I found no good way to access the filler tube or the tank outlet or drain tube without removing the bench. While I had it out I replaced the filler tube and the supply lines and installed new hose clamps. Didn't tighten one of them properly so had to pull the bench twice. Not a difficult task, and certainly worth it to insure a tight water system.
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I had a similar problem with my 2007 13' Scamp. Every time I filled the fresh water tank, I had a soaked carpet under the dining table. Turned out to be a cracked filler neck on the thru-the-wall plastic filler piece. I had to remove the hose/clamp from the filler neck to see it. It leaked since day 1 so i know it was defective from the factory!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

New Hampshire
Update on this a year and a half later: We never did anything about fixing it because it would require so much effort to get to the filler, I just use care not to have the hose on too high a pressure while filling the tank, and I have had no more leaking problems with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Heidi, I procrastinated on installing an exterior 110 outlet as it required me to remove the rear bench where the water tank is located - sounded like *way* more work/effort than I felt worth while. When I finally did it, it was way easier than I thought to remove the bench and put it back in after. Only a few screws holding it in place. Taking the bench out also gave me chance to look for any water damage issues around & under the water tank that I couldn't see from just opening the top hatch cover. Turned out no water damage but I could see that one of the water connections was close to coming off. I ended up redoing most of the water fittings while I had it all open so its good for a number of more years without any worries. If I was in your shoes I would just pull the rear bench out and fix the problem. The work involved in fixing any floor damage that you cant see that may be happening under the water tank will be way more work than just pulling the rear bench out and fixing a leaking filler.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #11

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just in case you want to go there one day. I took mine out without removing the bench. It is a real PAIN, there is a video on the scamptrailer website that shows that they put it in before they put the bench. It will be easiest if you cut the metal bands that hold it in place and replace them with new ones. But even after that.., in my case the filler hose was just long enough to move the tank out a little bit, I could open the clip that holds it, but it was really hard work to get it off the tank, and painful since the space between the tank and the bench was so small. I completely destroyed the hose in the process. The advantage will be that after all that you can put the tank in a better place so you have a bit more storage space and also access to the water hoses to see from time to time if they are still clean. In my case water from a leaky window had collected under the tank and I had quite some rot.

Did you consider to install a hatch on top of the tank for cleaning and filling it through the window?
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #12

New Hampshire
You are all great to give suggestions! What I really want to do someday (and am afraid to mention to DH just yet) is raise up the bed by about 5" so that my dog has more headroom under there. Poor thing has to scrunch down just to get into her sleeping space underneath the bunk.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I am not a small person, but I have never had any real problem reaching in to attach the hose or tighten the clamp.
Once you determine for sure that that is the source of the leak, and you still find the you can't get your arm in to access the hose and clamps.... Try this...

Drill out the rivets at the external filler. Then you can pull it out far enough to attach and tighten the clamp.(the hose will extend far enough)
I recently changed the type of filler device on my personal Scamp and I really like the new design. There are several on the market which work fine, but I liked the one shown below, not only does it work well, but I had a couple of them in stock!(lol)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0116.JPG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Hmmm....ok, I have to ask, am I the only one who is paranoid enough to wonder why we advertise the drinking water inlet and that it is unsecured? Almost seems like it's begging for some devious person to pour something nasty into it...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I recently changed the type of filler device on my personal Scamp and I really like the new design. There are several on the market which work fine, but I liked the one shown below, not only does it work well, but I had a couple of them in stock!(lol)
Like that Floyd! the cap on mine is broken so I need to replace it but I dont like the stock ones! I am assuming that the plastic bent enough to match/fit the shape of the trailer just by riveting?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hmmm....ok, I have to ask, am I the only one who is paranoid enough to wonder why we advertise the drinking water inlet and that it is unsecured? Almost seems like it's begging for some devious person to pour something nasty into it...
It's always worried me too. I'm really surprised that I haven't found a cigarrete butt in there. Changing it out is on my list, and I'm going to try and find a locking option.

I also second Carol's comment about the ease of removing the bench. It's very easy. Mine is even easier now. I added some extra screw blocks and now all the mounting screws are external. I never bothered to re caulk mine, which makes it even easier. It's literally a 5 minute job now.
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #17

Registry
I didnt re caulk my bench either - didnt see the point - it was only caulked on one section on the kitchen side and it had long ago released.

re the water tank - hadnt ever really worried about people putting stuff in it but if they did it wouldnt be a big worry to me as I never use the water in the tank for drinking.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Like that Floyd! the cap on mine is broken so I need to replace it but I dont like the stock ones! I am assuming that the plastic bent enough to match/fit the shape of the trailer just by riveting?
Yes, it easily conformed, the opening in the hull had to be enlarged a little to accomodate the new filler, and I used a couple of extra rivets.
the opening is a perfect fit for the nozzle of one of those green plastic gerrycans from Walmart.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #19

Registry
Thanks Floyd, I have actually already replaced the original one once already - not sure how but somehow the little tab that keeps it closed snaps off - not to mention I dont like the colour it turns. Aesthetics are as important as function :-))
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Heidi, my daughter in her much younger years, wasn't devious... but, she thought that little fresh water hatch on my Scamp was a great place to pour dirt and small stones. "Look Mommy, they disappear"!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote