Leak in Fan area, Air Condition Removed, Door Sealant - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Leak in Fan area, Air Condition Removed, Door Sealant

Happy Spring to everyone..more questions..my main opening on roof is leaking has anyone used Dicor to seal with fiberglass? Second question air condition was removed not working not going to replace, has anyone covered area behind where vents and with what? Last edging off door facing has peeled off etc., has anyone used stuff they use around doors in winter with success..quick fix for now? Thank you..just about road ready!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Anita. My advice always begins with removing the vent, fan, window, whatever and seal it properly with butyl. I never would suggest blobbing more caulk on an already leaking "something." I'm not familiar with Dicor, I use Geocel Pro-Flex.

I'd put a passive vent in the hole where the A/C was removed. It would be great for extra ventilation.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Anita, as Donna suggests if you are wanting to fix the leak so its good for another 20 years or more pull the fan out and redo it using butyl tape. If you use Decor you will be having to do it again in a few years time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Great ideas and thoughts! Will reflect on them! Only thing on vent I am camping at Navajo and about froze last nite even though I had temp covered the area! Wild weather in Durango area right now. Yes, my first solo trip and managed gale force winds that just happened to show up as I pulled out. Then of course my mirror on left fell off and had tp pull over to fix or would have had scratches everything. Refrigerator works, used a heater, have a twin inflatable mattress that almost covers the whole double side. Water pump works, stove works, pulls fantastic..I felt like I had Wings! Also put canopy up, then had to take down for the winds this p.m. Little Furby was a happy camper. My house will go on sale July... thanks again for the wonderful input!