Leaking Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
On the other hand, the fiberglass in these trailers is fairly thin, and Brandy could see that the holes came straight through. So while it would be nice to get to them from the outside and fiberglass them from there (too); I wouldn't think there is a huge hollow to gather water and then freeze and crack. I rarely (ever?) see that on a boat, and they have all kinds of voids here and there (where hardware mounts, etc.).

That's not to say that it's not a good idea to see about getting to it from the outside, and of course there is no guarantee that it won't crack, but I don't picture it being imminent from what I've seen of her leak source.

Raya

(Brandy, I'm still impressed that you tracked that one down )

Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #16

Name: Brandy
Also thought I would mention that the leak I had was directly below the window but on the seam....I took the window out 2 times racking my brain ....the photo I included 2 posts above is at the belly band seam and yes it is fiberglassed over (the seam) interesting to know what that looks like from the inside. Good luck.....had it not been raining I wouldn't have given that spot a second look so maybe consider waiting til it rains or throw a hose on it and see what developes, the photo below is the same spot I just didn't circle the two small holes, as you can see they are virtually invisable....who knows maybe it will be the same thing?
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_001.jpg  

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler
WOW thank you Brandy, I went out today to look some more but can't find a thing. I need to dig deep and wasn't in the mood today! LOL I will try to get at it this week as we want to camp soon and I should fix it before we head out.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I will have to post a pic next time I am in there....Ibelieve I have a spot where my seam tape is off...

My frame is a lot different...not boxed in anywhere. I have came accross 2 other 1970's (even my neighbour has one) and their frames are the same....they were a poor design and look fairly home made compared to the later bozed ones. Our early ones had quite a few differences......the tail lights were not recessed, the wheel wells hung down lower, there was no rear bumper, no supprt for the upper caninet and no aluminum Boler emblems.

Mine was built in the original Winnipeg Boler plant....its #283
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #19

Kurt,

How do you determine what number your Boler is? Is it part of the VIN?

Mine was made in Winnipeg too, in 1974 at Neonex (not sure how many plants there were in Winnipeg).

Raya
Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I'm not sure if it means much. Mine was made at the original plant "boler Manufacturing Ltd. and I am assuming before he sold thr rights to so many other companies.

I believe there was 30 made in 1968, 100 in 1969 and upwards of 500 in 1970....then they farmed them out all over. I have spoken to several others on here and it seems these early ones had sequential VIN's and are consistent with what I have but they seemed to change them some time after 1970.....my number 283 is actually the VIN...its stamped on the frame at the tongue and is repeated on the registration papers.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #21

Thanks, Kurt. Mine is in the form of 12 3456, with none of the numbers really making much sense in terms of a sequential "hull number." I guess that would have been pretty hard to keep up with numerous plants going.

Mine was "born" and lived all his (its?) life in Winnipeg prior to my purchase. So I gave him a good taste of the US just bringing him home

Raya
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler
I have an update!!!! Thanks to Brandy for giving me the courage to peel back the ensolite, I have now done, nothing wrong there, I simulated rain to find that a bracket in the window is broken and that is where the water is getting in! So the ensolite can dry while it's peeled back and I will have to locate either some new windows or rig up the old.... Thanks all! I was terrified to pull back the ensolite but now that I have done it, not so bad. I am all pumped to deck out my little egg.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #23

Name: Brandy

YEAH! and it didn't take you three months like me! Great Job.

Quote:
I have an update!!!! Thanks to Brandy for giving me the courage to peel back the ensolite, I have now done, nothing wrong there, I simulated rain to find that a bracket in the window is broken and that is where the water is getting in! So the ensolite can dry while it's peeled back and I will have to locate either some new windows or rig up the old.... Thanks all! I was terrified to pull back the ensolite but now that I have done it, not so bad. I am all pumped to deck out my little egg.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #24

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Mine is in the form of 12 3456, with none of the numbers really making much sense in terms of a sequential "hull number." I guess that would have been pretty hard to keep up with numerous plants going.
I've been tracking the boler American serial #'s looking for clues. Most are 4 digits starting with either a 3 or a 5 with one exception and that's a 3 digit starting with 3. I postulate for the boler American the first digit signifies the plant and the remainder the sequential #. I can't find any starting with a 1, 2, or 4 and believe that plant 3 was either Tri-Fab in Tripoli or Eveland's in Backus, with plant 5 being the other.

Stretching this perhaps planned plants 1 2 and 4 became the Eco in Aurora, NE the Minit/Perris in CA and something up in OR

Any chance yours might be the mold # and sequential #? My understanding is that each mold effectively produced one body per day. That would make for somewhere between 220 and 365 trailers per year.

Tags
boler