Leaking Boler - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler
Well she's leaking.... I fixed the window but I suspect it's the middle and I would like to know how to fix the middle seal, it's loose-ish and needs new rivets by the looks of things. This is the year I want to clean my baby all up, I have had it years but it's time to do an over haul or it won't last....

Thanks!!!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I would like to know how to fix the middle seal, it's loose-ish and needs new rivets by the looks of things.
Sounds like you are talking of the belly band. If so, that is probably not your problem. The upper and lower parts are glassed together from the inside behind your ensolite.

Many times the water travels behind the ensolite, so you have to search for loose rivet or other source of leak.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Well she's leaking.... I fixed the window but I suspect it's the middle and I would like to know how to fix the middle seal, it's loose-ish and needs new rivets by the looks of things. This is the year I want to clean my baby all up, I have had it years but it's time to do an over haul or it won't last....

Thanks!!!!!
Mia - are you the same Mia from the Vancouver Pen Club?

I live in Steveston, and would be glad to help out - our trillium leaked like crazy from around the wondows and the belly band - I have a riverter you can borrow if you want to try that.

Barry
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Sounds like you are talking of the belly band. If so, that is probably not your problem. The upper and lower parts are glassed together from the inside behind your ensolite.

Many times the water travels behind the ensolite, so you have to search for loose rivet or other source of leak.
Roy's right - the rivets are glassed in from the inside.... BUT.... on our Trillium the damn previous owner had removed the belly band, and then for some reason DRILLED 86 new rivet holes into the shell, all of which were 'sealed' with silcone. I dodnt find these until I removed the belly band AND the ensolite. But water can travel from a long ways... did you do all the wiondows? did you use new butyl tape? Did you use marine / rv sealant around the outside of the window edges? did you check the roof vent? are there any cracks in the shell where it might be leaking?

Barry
Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
The leak could be coming from the place where the rubber windshield moulding joins at the bottom of the wind shield.....the moulding tends to shrink with time and there possibly is a 1/8" gap in the moulding joint.....the water comes in there from the outside and then gets in between the Ensolite and the body and runs down and also across under the Ensolite and it gets deceiving as where the leak is exactly....check out the exterior rubber moulding of the bottom center of the front and rear windows......the belly band is strictly trim and normally has no leaks into the cabin....good luck...Benny
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Oh, forgot....if there is that gap in the moulding, just clean that gap well and make sure it`s dry and seal the opening with black silicone or polyurethane caulk, (better).....Benny
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #7

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Although it could be leaking from the belly band (anything is possible), it's unlikely. And unlike a Trillium, there is no reason why (even if someone were reattaching the belly band clumsily) the "new" holes would go through into the camper.

I say that because the Trillium band's rivets run parallel with the ground, and the rivets originally go into mild steel plates embedded in the camper. So, if someone re-drills for these, they can very easily (or by intent) make holes straight into the camper when preparing to re-rivet.

In contrast, the Boler/clones have two outward-turning lips, to which the belly-band is attached with rivets that are perpendicular to the ground. So the holes already go all the way through the lip, and new holes would have to be drilled at 90 to the old ones (for which there is no logical reason) in order to penetrate the camper shell.

So I think you'd have to have some other reason for a failure at the belly band; but it seems much more likely that the water on a Boler is coming in somewhere else.

Raya
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #8

Thanks all, I will take a photo, it's under the side window over the bed, which I thought I had fixed last season.... As soon as this wonky weather clears up that's my no.1 project as I want to get out camping. Barry I don't think I am the same Mia but I would love some help! I am in Burkeville. I will see what I can do, I think my husband has a rivet gun but he doesn't like me going in HIS garage... LOL I keep a little heater on so it won't rot and again I pray for nice weather so I can get on it.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #9

Here are two photos, I was out there for a while trying to find the leak but I can't find much, I am going to guess it's the window, it's a slow leak but a leak. Could someone please do something about the weather so I can start working on my egg?

Leak

Puddle

Old 03-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1970 Boler
What year is your Boler? Mine leaked around the belly band as well - near the front. Mine is a 1970 and they did not glass right over the seams as some have mentioned on here. The ealry ones, like mine had quite a few differences right down to an un-boxed frame.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #11

She's a 1972
Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
And here I was just explaining in another thread that the Boler belly-band seam was fiberglassed on the inside (Mine looks like it is - 1974.)

Kurt, I'd be interested to know how they did deal with the seam on your early Boler

I suppose some differences could also come up because they were made in many different places; but I still thought they were all glassed together. Interesting!

What's the frame like on yours?

Raya
Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #13

Name: Brandy
I had a leak in the very same spot but it managed to wick its way closer to the underside of the stove so I actually thought it was one of the vents......I waited til it was good and rainy and took out my bench on that side, pulled back the ensolite slightly and discovered it was wet......pulled it all the way up to the belly band to discover two very very tiny not quite holes but looks like someone might have drilled thru then it was fiberglassed over. Waited for dry weather and then used a quick elmers fiberglass repair kit......so technically it was right where the belly band was located but not a belly band issue. Good luck it took me 3 months...keep at it you'll find it
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_002.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Brandy,
I don't remember if anyone else mentioned this or not.

If you sealed the holes from the inside the water may still get in the fiberglass and if it can't leak out now will expand and crack the fiberglass if frozen.

Bill K

Quote:
I had a leak in the very same spot but it managed to wick its way closer to the underside of the stove so I actually thought it was one of the vents......I waited til it was good and rainy and took out my bench on that side, pulled back the ensolite slightly and discovered it was wet......pulled it all the way up to the belly band to discover two very very tiny not quite holes but looks like someone might have drilled thru then it was fiberglassed over. Waited for dry weather and then used a quick elmers fiberglass repair kit......so technically it was right where the belly band was located but not a belly band issue. Good luck it took me 3 months...keep at it you'll find it

Tags
boler