Leaking Electrical Cord Port! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Leaking Electrical Cord Port!

The electrical cord port on my 1978 Scamp 13 is leaking. Leaking very badly I'm afraid!

I can see no evidence that there was any putty tape used when the cord port was installed so many years ago. It also appears that the design of the port allows water to enter. i'd hate to see the amount of water that would enter if the electrical cord was in use during a heavy rain storm!

Has anyone had, and cured this leaking problem? if so, did you install a new cord port...putty...or what?

Since I'm leaning towards a non-electrical, and non-LP trailer, I'm tempted to seal the cord port hole. However, some future owner might not like that!

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
An aluminum plate over the hole will not bother a future prospective buyer. This is how I installed a new power inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
An aluminum plate over the hole will not bother a future prospective buyer. This is how I installed a new power inlet.
Dave, that sure beats the mess of duct tape that I now have over the inlet!

Did you use putty tape, and are those screws, or bolts and nuts holding the plate?

Thanks for the idea!

Bill
Old 04-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We installed a totally sealed port. A couple of reasons, 1. it eliminated pulling in and storing all the cable under the seat. 2. It eliminated the ants and other critters that would walk in on the cable and 3, it made it water tight.

You can find the following at lesser cost if you shop around. Always cost more at a marine supply store.

MARINCO 30A Nonmetallic Boat Inlet | West Marine
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Yes, I used putty, and screws, washers, locks, and nuts, in stainless steel. The actual power inlet was not too expensive either. The place I bought it now sells it for $40.95, OK not cheep.

Mine is only 15 A and uses any regular extension cord, with one receptacle on the end. Like what you would use for a lawnmower.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks for the idea's. If I can find a small piece of aluminum plate, I believe that is what I will use to seal the electrical cord opening. I might also do the same for the water tank fill opening....as a PO took the water tank out!

Of course, bending the plate to fit the curve of the shell at the water fill might be a tad bit difficult.

Bill
Old 04-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Thanks for the idea's. If I can find a small piece of aluminum plate, I believe that is what I will use to seal the electrical cord opening. I might also do the same for the water tank fill opening....as a PO took the water tank out!

Of course, bending the plate to fit the curve of the shell at the water fill might be a tad bit difficult.

Bill
Bill, what you need to do to match the compound curve is to "raise" the aluminum plate. Take an old pillow case, or use some sort of heavy cloth sack, I use the ones that Basmati rice comes in. Fill it part way with dry sand, not tap the aluminum plate with a hammer to stretch the center of the plate and form a sort of dome. Take your time, and you should be able to match the curvature of the trailer almost perfectly.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Dennis for the tip!

I remember seeing some old craftsman doing that years ago in a documentary or something like that. I believe he was making a part for an old auto.

Dave, what thickness of aluminum plate did you use?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I frequently repurpose unwanted holes by covering them with a simple 4" RV battery vent. They take 4 screws and are designed to conform to a curved surface and don't look like a repair job was done when installed. You can back it up with thin metal if a complete seal is desired. About $3 at any RV supply source.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
I used a flat plate, and made up the difference with putty. But Trilliums are a bit more boxy then Scamps.

On edit: The plate was 1/8" thick.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
We installed a totally sealed port. A couple of reasons, 1. it eliminated pulling in and storing all the cable under the seat. 2. It eliminated the ants and other critters that would walk in on the cable and 3, it made it water tight.
I have an attached cable. One mod I plan to make this season is to enclose the cable inside the trailer in a waterproof bag so that no critters can get into the trailer yet maintaining the benefits of the attached cable, like it's always attached so you can't misplace it and you can use only the length you need to pull out. The bag will keep the dirt and water and bugs contained so they can't get into the trailer.
hwdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I frequently repurpose unwanted holes by covering them with a simple 4" RV battery vent. They take 4 screws and are designed to conform to a curved surface and don't look like a repair job was done when installed. You can back it up with thin metal if a complete seal is desired. About $3 at any RV supply source.
Thanks Bob for the information. Something like that might be the answer.

Bill
Old 04-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #13

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Thanks Dennis for the tip!

I remember seeing some old craftsman doing that years ago in a documentary or something like that. I believe he was making a part for an old auto.

Dave, what thickness of aluminum plate did you use?

Thanks,

Bill
That is the method that my son used to build motorcycle fenders and fuel tanks before he got his English Wheel and Planishing Hammer. Aluminum is actually fun to work with. It is sold and raises nicely. After a while it will work harden and crack. To prevent, you heat it up and quench the stock in cold water! This anneals the metal, making it very soft again.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
Just a note to tell everyone how I "fixed" my leaking electrical cable port.

I was not able to find a RV Vent, and I'm too cheap to pay what metal shops wanted for a small 1/8" aluminum plate.

So I removed the rivets holding the old port in place and pulled it out. I then cleaned it up, and applied a lot of epoxy adhesive along the opening parts, plate. and port, etc., and let it cure overnight.

With new butyl tape applied I riveted it back into it's spot.

No leaks in the port area during a 7-inch rain storm two nights ago, and no leaks during a 2-3/4-inch rain last night!

When the time comes to install a new electrical port,it will be easy to do,

Now, if only the the other leaks were as easy to find and fix...

Bill

Tags
electrical