Leaking emergency window on Trillium - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #1

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Send a message via Skype™ to 55goddess
Question Leaking emergency window on Trillium

Hello, I have a 2008 Trillium Outback. It is equipped with an emergency escape window on one side by the dining table/bed. When it rains water gathers in the track at the bottom of the window. The water then seeps into the track on the inside of the window, overflows, and seeps down the wall. This seems to be a design flaw with the window itself. Does anyone else have this problem with an emergency escape window. Any ideas to stop the leaking??
Thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Are there weep holes in this window? The water should be exiting via the weep hole. I found on my UHaul that when it was parked nose up or down, the weep holes didn't drain the corners, so I added additional holes in the outer track.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Are there weep holes in this window? The water should be exiting via the weep hole. I found on my UHaul that when it was parked nose up or down, the weep holes didn't drain the corners, so I added additional holes in the outer track.
Good idea re drilling new drain holes. Perhaps you could also try using a good caulking on top of the weatherstriping where it comes in contact with the window. I plan on doing this to all my windows, but will also drill new drain holes.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Even on a five year old trailer the weep holes can become plugged. Try running weed wacker line through the weep holes. If they're clear, perhaps putting a "gutter" over the top of the windows may help?

Essential Products RV & Marine available in 10 foot sections from Camping World too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

British Columbia
Cool Weep Holes

Thanks for the weep hole advice.
I have inspected the window with a microscope and cannot find weep holes anywhere.
Also the outside edge of the window track is an inch higher then the inside edge. There is water in the track so it is obvious that it will overflow to the inside of the trailer.
So next step I have to get the screen off so I can try and drill weep holes from the inside.

I also want to try the RV gutter idea. Problem is it says to install in weather above 70 F. So I guess I have to wait until I go to California in a couple of months to try that one - current weather 42 F and pouring rain:-(
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hello Lorraine and welcome to the forum. On mine the weep holes are actually two slots about 1 1/2" long on the outside bottom of the window frame. As Tom suggests, if the trailer is not level water will collect at the end beyond the weep hole. I put a small sponge there. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-2584585828.jpg   image-1517812946.jpg  

Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Lorraine and welcome to the forum. On mine the weep holes are actually two slots about 1 1/2" long on the outside bottom of the window frame. As Tom suggests, if the trailer is not level water will collect at the end beyond the weep hole. I put a small sponge there. Raz
P Raz, I like your pics...clearly explains the weatherstrip. What do you think about my idea of putting a good caulking on the weatherstrip/glass area? Would this not stop water from getting inside the weatherstrip, and prevent water from going inside the trailer?
As far as the OP is concerned, removing the screens for drilling drain holes means removing the inside frame of the window, at least this is the case in my Bigfoot. The spline has to be removed and put back in place, which is hidden by the inside frame.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #8

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
As far as the OP is concerned, removing the screens for drilling drain holes means removing the inside frame of the window, at least this is the case in my Bigfoot. The spline has to be removed and put back in place, which is hidden by the inside frame.
Wouldn't you want to drill the holes from the outside, anyway? The water needs to drain down the outside of the trailer.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Wouldn't you want to drill the holes from the outside, anyway? The water needs to drain down the outside of the trailer.
Tom, you are right..
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
P Raz, I like your pics...clearly explains the weatherstrip. What do you think about my idea of putting a good caulking on the weatherstrip/glass area? Would this not stop water from getting inside the weatherstrip, and prevent water from going inside the trailer?
Jim what appears in the picture to be weather stripping is actually the metal frame of the window. It fooled me too. Based on the experience of others, caulking from the outside is a temporary fix. When there is a leak around the edge of the window, removal and reseating with butyl tape seems to be the best ( most permanent) approach. That said, I get a little water in the inner channel of my windows especially when the trailer is not level. I suspect it is forced in between the glass panes by wind. In my case the small sponge stops the over flow. I don't get in much now. Perhaps when my windows are older with worn weather stripping the sponge will not be enough. Raz
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Jim what appears in the picture to be weather stripping is actually the metal frame of the window. It fooled me too. Based on the experience of others, caulking from the outside is a temporary fix. When there is a leak around the edge of the window, removal and reseating with butyl tape seems to be the best ( most permanent) approach. That said, I get a little water in the inner channel of my windows especially when the trailer is not level. I suspect it is forced in between the glass panes by wind. In my case the small sponge stops the over flow. I don't get in much now. Perhaps when my windows are older with worn weather stripping the sponge not be enough. Raz
Raz, I agree that butyl tape is the answer, but to be 100% safe as well, and I have done the following on one window when I removed them:

The weathestrip all around the outside of the frame as well as the actual glass has to be removed from the frame, and sealant, such as Flexoseal had to be put on the frame, then glass is put back in place. It is a heck of a job to get the weatherstripping back in place, though, and I spent hours doing this to the one window.

I put on butyl tape on all windows when reinstalling, as this is a must.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Raz

Vermont
My windows are relatively new so a complete rebuild is a long way down the road. May I suggest next time you do one take some pictures and start a thread to share. I'm sure folks will find it useful.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

British Columbia
Window Sealant

This is the sealant that I used when removing the window as it is applied on the frame, after all the old sealant has been removed. I believe this is a 100% cure for a leaking window, along with Butyl tape, but it takes a lot of time to do, and the weatherstripping is very hard to get back into the channel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4510.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #14

British Columbia
Thanks for the pic Raz. So I found the weep holes hidden underneath two plastic strips. They were clogged. I cleaned them out with a pipe cleaner. I also removed a lot of water from the track by repeatedly wedging a sponge in the track and wicking it out. I have also lowered the front of the trailer as it wasn't quite level on the driveway.
So do you leave a small sponge wedged in the track in the corner all the time?

Tags
trillium