leaking roof vent again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
leaking roof vent again

OK so Scamp has resealed the roof vent on my 2012 Deluxe 13 two years in a row and it's leaking again. I'm not headed to Scamp factory anytime soon so will probaby have Camping World do it. I talked to Scamp and they said this is unusual to happen this frequently and to tell Camping World to use Butyl Tape and silicone. Anybody have any ideas why this keeps failing? My other option would be to have a boat repair shop see if they can find a defect but I didn't see anything obvious and neithe did Scamp last summer. This is a fantastic Fan.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Rivets or screws? If it's screws, are they loose? Sometimes when screws are installed with a screw gun they can be overtightened, stripping the threads and stopping the screw from doing its job. Also screws in wood work but screws in just fiberglass are not so good. In this case rivets or bolts are better. Butyl tape for sure but I'd skip the silicone. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did they install the spacer that Fantastic Fan uses with fiberglass roofs. At least up until a year ago a call the the Fantastic factory would get 1 or 2 sent out in the mail, no charge. BUT... I understand that they have changed hands and freebies are a thing of the past. Anyway, check to see if a 1/2" thick spacer is in place around the opening, it seems to help hold the roof flat where it is installed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 AM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
Bob. Would that spacer be in the inside or out side of the trailer
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 AM   #5

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
clean off the seal crap they put there, remove any Wax-and Only use Dicor Flo seal, it must not be cold when applied.
silicone will never give a decent seal on fiberglass campers & it won't stick/seal aluminum campers either.
I have 4 campers---none of mine leak with Dicor floseal.
sparkyi in southern Va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #6

Name: ron
Trailer: currently shopping
Virginia
leaky roof

you may want to try talking to someone at a LINE-X store near you about sealing around the vent with there product. It has help me in several projects frfom boats to sealing an Amerago roof
ron mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The spacer is usually fitted between the inside trim and the roof. I have seen them used on the outside as well, but that means an extra seal to be concerned about.

If RV Putty tape sandwiched between two surfaces doesn't seal, you may have other problems. And using Dicor seal on top of that to seal the exposed edges should make you as tight as a submarine. If you use Dicor clamped between two surfaces you may never be able to get it apart.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #8

Name: Don
Trailer: Scamp 13
Colorado
Melissa-
I have had very good success using Eternabond tape. This is a roofing tape that comes in widths from 2in to 6-8in plus. It also is available in various colors. I believe Campingworld stocks it, but not sure what lengths. I have used this tape to seal holes in fresh and gray water tanks and various seams. I prefer it over Dicor because it doesn't crack. Take a look at Eternabond website for specific applications. EternaBond
Don
Don Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks for all the suggestions! I was looking for a spacer on the outside and didn't see one but didn't think to check the inside before I took her back to storage and put a brand new cover on her. It sounds like to fix it properly I need to remove the entire Vent and the old silicone Scamp used. I may contact a boat repair facility (there are literally hundreds near my home) and see if they can do it, shouldn't be much different if any than a boat hatch right? They would definitely have more experience with molded Fiberglass than a typical RV repair shop that usually deals with stickies.

Melissa
Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Anyone else besides me find it ironic that silly-cone is still the go-to sealer at the Scamp factory? One would think that they'd use just about anything else first.

Melissa, I'd eternabond it and forget it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote