Leaking Trillium Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #15

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
caulking

Why not use silicone caulk and what should we use?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #16

Nova Scotia
Registry
there are two types of butyl tape - one is foil butyl tape - are they the same?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Silicone will fail after about 3 years. Then it will be impossible to remove. There will be silicone residue that will prevent anything else from sticking properly.

One solution to removing silicone is to sand the area with a very fine grit, (400 or so) sand paper.

The proper butyl should stretch out to a very fine thread. The other stuff works, but may not seal as well, or last as long. But it will come off when it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #18

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I did my rear window (1976 Trillium 1300) similar to David, above. The only catch was that the original hole had been cut about 1/4 of an inch too long. The screws on the left side therefore were just catching the edge of the fibreglass, not going through it. I suspect from the rot that this had always been a weak point. I used fibreglass mesh and resin to build out the left side and also, since there was other screw-hole damage, ran a re-enforcement layer about 1/2 inch wide right around the opening. Extra work but it's solid! The rest was easy...
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #19

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Oh, on the butyl V.S. silicon discussion, I am learning to love butyl! I use it anywhere it can be compressed, like when replacing a window or accessory, but also stretch it into a bead and tool it into the notch between say, the window frame and trailer body, instead of silicon. Any excess smears and rough borders clean up easily with any solvent. I'm thinking it may need to be scraped off and re-done each year or two. And it's darker than silicon. But it seals great and can be much more easily removed and replaced.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #20

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks Randy. Rick and I just went out and bought some MONO ULTRA caulk. I am going to remove the one thin strip of silicone we put on last week. We'll do that Sunday as we are kayaking tomorrow.

We looked and looked for butyl tape at Canadian Tire and could not find any. Now that I have examined the tops of our windows and all around the small door window - that grey is butyl tape the previous owner put on. So if we want to do a clean up job I am wondering if it is easy to remove and simply replace (when we find some) as you say it is a good sealant?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Butyl tape and Mono Ultra are superior to silicone because they never really harden and on a hot day they melt and re-seal.

Butyl tape can be found at an RV parts dealer. It is hard to find the really sticky stuff. But the less sticky stuff also works.

Tags
trillium, windows