Leaking window... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Leaking window...

After purchasing a new mattress and getting everything ready for an upcoming rally, it rained really hard tonite and I went out and checked the trailer. One of my windows is leaking at each bottom corner. There is water in the interior track which I soaked up with a towel thinking that was it, but no, the water continues to drip under the trim at each corner. I removed the mattress and left a towel overnight.
So how do I fix the leak tomorrow, Do I remove the entire window and reinstall with new butyl tape, put out the corner and shove tape inside. I had installed EZ Gutter awhile ago along the top thinking that would eliminate any possible leak but obviously it didn't work. Even if it leaks around the glass, wouldn't that just fill the track inside?
I do not know the construction of the window to determine the source of the water getting behind the trim around the window inside? Is it coming in at the top? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Jim,
My emergency window had a similar leak. After trying tightening the screws and surface caulking to no avail, I finally took it out and used butyl tape to re-set it. It wasn't a horrible job, just scarred me since I had never done anything similar; took a couple of hours. Oh, and I used "flowable" silicone (a.k.a. "glass and window sealer"), on the glass to gasket seal. No leaks since.

Again, this was one of the little quality control issues that irritated me with my new egg, but nothing that I couldn't fix.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
Ray,
So was the water coming in around the glass or the frame or you did both just in case? Is it a one man job?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I don't know about the design of your Egg Camper windows, but when we got our new-to-us Scamp, one window leaked. I cleaned all the gunk out of the exterior track and cleared the weep holes -- voila, problem solved!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
No is isn't the weep holes because I placed a paper towel in the track and dried it out, but water continued to seep from behind the trim inside, with a dry track. But I'm sure the windows are similarly constructed.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim I have had to take out a window and redo with butyl and it really wasnt that hard - although I dont know how your Egg Campers windows are installed. I did have someone hold the window from the outside when I undid the inside frame screws as that was all that was holding it in place - it was missing tape between the outside frame and the trailer. I also had someone hold it in place when I reattached it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
I removed the inner trim and the window is still secure, so I'm going to wait until the next rain and look and see exactly where it is coming in. Without the trim you can see all around the window inside.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Why not just turn the water hose on it?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ray,
So was the water coming in around the glass or the frame or you did both just in case? Is it a one man job?
Mainly around the frame. There still was a little leak after I re-set the frame, but this leak just went down the glass to the track where it flowed out the drip holes, and the flowable silicone fixed that. The big leak was from the frame, I think mainly at the top where there seemed to be a gap in the original putty. But there also was a second area where the putty might not have been doing its job. I did it by myself, and it wasn't too bad. I was worried the window would fall out once I removed the inner frame and get damaged but that wasn't the case. I had held it in with duct tape but it wasn't necessary. It was in so tight I had to really work it to get it out. That was the main problem, getting it in and out of the tight opening. I was tempted to cut or sand a little off the fiberglass to make it easier to replace, but it eventually went back in. Again, I did it by myself.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
I found the source of the leak, I had installed a window vent max and I found that the water was coming in on one of the screws. Since I'm installing an awning, I removed the vent, sealed the hole. Now it stays dry ( a thunderstorm just passed and I stayed in the camper checking for leaks, everything is dry now. This shows the importance of putting sealant not only behind but also on each screw because the water will follow the threads quite easily.
Ray- did you ever think of putting a screen in the escape window and opening it while camping?