leaking window help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Clean the surfaces up good for the new butyl, no Pro Flex is needed anywhere. The butyl is a bit easier to use if it's warm. Once you set the window in place tighten the screws a bit at a time like you would torque an engine head to let the butyl have time ooze. There is no PSI to go by, stop when it seems nice and tight. Pop rivets are the same. With my gun it seems to take three grips per rivet before it pops. I use half pulls between rivet rounds to let the butyl do its thing. BTW, if you're installing anything of plastic with rivets like vents and such, running the first down to popping by itself is asking for a broken/cracked item .

Thank you Dave!!!! No rivets, only screws so I'm in luck there. :-)

Old 11-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #16

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Silicone! OMG I hate that crap on the exterior of any all-molded-towable. THIS is NOT my trailer but check out all the CRAP someone applied to a window on a U-Haul trying to stop the leaks. I scooped this picture from a U-Haul Facebook page that I'm a member. ALL that silicone and the window STILL leaks. Now the owner has a huge problem removing that Devil's Bane.
OMGosh what a mess there! I HATE THAT STUFF on the campers! Don't understand WHY someone would put it on them! You should SEE the top of ours where all those vents are over the bathroom. THAT should be a MEGA fun project getting it off there to replace the vents. As cheap as the vents are someone would do this! I mean it looks like it is over an inch thick in spots! I don't do heights but figureing I might be able to borrow a friends scaffling sp? so I can work on getting that mess off and not have to stand on a ladder to do it since I know it's going to take some doing!

Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
When I riveted my Scamp windows in after replacing the butyl caulk I found Dave's suggestion of working around the edge from one side to the other then top and bottom to give better results by far. I also left the rivets "half tight" for awhile to let the butyl squeeze out, then gave them all another squeeze, waited a bit the finished them.

I would use the same approach with screws. Half tight for all, then 3/4 tight for all, then final tight for all. Waiting for awhile between each round of tightening.

I think giving the butyl time to conform before tightening some more yielded a better seal, noticed I had some squeezed out all the way around doing it that way. Just tightening not nearly as solid a line around the edge of oozing butyl seal.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #18

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
When I riveted my Scamp windows in after replacing the butyl caulk I found Dave's suggestion of working around the edge from one side to the other then top and bottom to give better results by far. I also left the rivets "half tight" for awhile to let the butyl squeeze out, then gave them all another squeeze, waited a bit the finished them.

I would use the same approach with screws. Half tight for all, then 3/4 tight for all, then final tight for all. Waiting for awhile between each round of tightening.

I think giving the butyl time to conform before tightening some more yielded a better seal, noticed I had some squeezed out all the way around doing it that way. Just tightening not nearly as solid a line around the edge of oozing butyl seal.

Mine has screws but that will probably even be good to do with screws to. Will keep that in mind and thank all you guys for your help because once we do this I don't want to have to go back and redo them again anytime soon.
ALSO when I go to unscrewing those screws I am praying EVERY THING on the inside walls stays put! since it IS old I worry what we're going to get INTO in there. Just praying it stays put!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #19

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Gardnpondr and all--yes, am worrying too about the wood bracing falling loose inside; ours is gutted but so far we haven't pulled the wood away from the walls, and it looks loose. Maybe we'll use the construction glue we got and glue the wood to the fiberglass and let it harden before we try putting the screws back in? Of course, right now, with flood warnings all around us (we're in the highlands) from incessant rain (not that I'm complaining--we need the rain!) we're not doing much on the trailer lately. We DID find a nice thick mattress for half price at IKEA, though, and have it waiting on top of our twin guest bed until the day comes we can slide it on into the trailer. Someday.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Kai, the built-in search function is pretty useless (like you say, you have to hit the exact phrase), but the Google site search is much more sophisticated. It's only available on the website, not on the app. Go to the blue bar under your log-in information, "Search," and go to the bottom of the drop-down menu "Site Search/Google."
You should be able to search the site for key words using google on its own. For example if you want to " find these words ", go to google and in the search box enter the following:
find these words site:fiberglassrv.com
Old 11-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnpondr View Post
ALSO when I go to unscrewing those screws I am praying EVERY THING on the inside walls stays put! since it IS old I worry what we're going to get INTO in there. Just praying it stays put!!!

Reminds me of the story about the young child born with a golden screw in his belly button. Since doctors had no idea of why or how the screw functioned they decided to let it remain. As the child grew into adolescence he found himself being teased constantly about his golden screw and he went to sleep every night wishing it was gone. One night as he lay in bed between sleep and wakefulness he dreamed that a golden fairy godmother floated into the room with a golden tray, and upon that tray was a golden screwdriver, she tapped his belly button with her golden wand and using the golden screwdriver removed the golden screw. In the morning when the young man awoke he recalled his dream and looking down saw the screw was gone! Elated he jumped out of bed and began to dance around the room, then his butt fell off.

Good luck with your repairs, most of what we worry about never happens, something totally unexpected does.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Too funny Roger..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Thanks for the advice about google...yes, had noticed that googling a topic often led direclty to the right site on FGRV, but it seemed a kind of long way around...it works on the site, too, which is faster.

Been enjoying looking up so many things now!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm reasonably certain what the FGRV function does is exactly what Roy suggests using Google, except you don't have to leave the site or remember the command syntax.

The FGRV community knows a lots about trailers, but Google knows a lot about searching!