leaking window help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
leaking window help

hey gang. I'm in oregon where it continues to rain a LOT. Discovered a small leak in the drivers side back window on my scamp 16. Putting a chunk of paper towel in the inside narrow track the window sits in absorbs the water for 8 plus hours. This is not a catastrophic leak (yet anyway) so I'd like to put a bead of some kind of dappish product around the outside of the window to see if this stops the leak for now. What NON silicone product would work best for this? Thanks.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check the weep holes on the outside to be sure they are clean so any water against the glass drains away. There may be covers over them but I doubt it. I use weed wacker string to clean them out
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #3

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
OOOOH, great idea. Didn't think of that. Supposedly rain will stop a few hours tomorrow morning and I will check then, cuz I sure can't see WHERE the water is coming from on the inside. Thx for that, Bob.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
If the channels and weep holes are really filled up with dirt, you may want to remove the sliding pane to clean them. We had a very recent thread on that subject and I posted how to do it. Here it is:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post556385
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Been searching FGRV for what product to use on the amerigo windows that are leaking...they're like Trillium windows in that they tip out at the bottom, but are one solid piece of plexiglass, not the little louvers. IF the trim edges need caulked, would automotive windshield material work? (Don't think we've found any weep holes, though Paul has been looking.)

And--for my info, what's wrong with silicone? (Not that we're planning to use it...) Just haven't been able to find the threads about it.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

And--for my info, what's wrong with silicone? (Not that we're planning to use it...) Just haven't been able to find the threads about it.
The info is hiding in plain sight...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bad-49621.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
The info is hiding in plain sight...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bad-49621.html
Thanks--like most internet issues, one has to know the exact magic phrase. Be only a few words off, and no dice.

Close only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes.

GREAT help, LOTS of info, of course our windows were sealed with silicone by the PO, which explains the leaks. NOW we have to check the little roof vent and the fantastic fan.

thanks again!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Name: Nettz
Trailer: UHaul
North Carolina
Don't use silicone. It will leak in no time again...and it is horrible to remove. If you need a bead, use butyl caulking ( or gutter caulking).
Annette in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Silicone! OMG I hate that crap on the exterior of any all-molded-towable. THIS is NOT my trailer but check out all the CRAP someone applied to a window on a U-Haul trying to stop the leaks. I scooped this picture from a U-Haul Facebook page that I'm a member. ALL that silicone and the window STILL leaks. Now the owner has a huge problem removing that Devil's Bane.
Attached Thumbnails
Silicone.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Thanks--like most internet issues, one has to know the exact magic phrase. Be only a few words off, and no dice...
Kai, the built-in search function is pretty useless (like you say, you have to hit the exact phrase), but the Google site search is much more sophisticated. It's only available on the website, not on the app. Go to the blue bar under your log-in information, "Search," and go to the bottom of the drop-down menu "Site Search/Google."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

Registry
WOW, thanks! Yes, it works great! Now if I could only remember the latest thing I wanted to find out about on FGRV! Oh, well, it'll come back sooner or later. Thank you again! BIG improvement!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 AM   #12

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
I was going to ask about pulling the windows out of my 85 camper and replacing the seal around all of them. I bought butyl rubber seal stuff. I want to do every one of them. I've watched a video online about how to do it but wondering if there is any secrets to getting it done right? Figured some of you have done it. Since it's getting cooler now I want to get started working on ours again and need to get these windows done!!!

Do we also need to run a bead of pro flex I believe it's called around them once we get them back in? Or just do the top edge part?
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnpondr View Post
I was going to ask about pulling the windows out of my 85 camper and replacing the seal around all of them. I bought butyl rubber seal stuff. I want to do every one of them. I've watched a video online about how to do it but wondering if there is any secrets to getting it done right? Figured some of you have done it. Since it's getting cooler now I want to get started working on ours again and need to get these windows done!!!

Do we also need to run a bead of pro flex I believe it's called around them once we get them back in? Or just do the top edge part?
Clean the surfaces up good for the new butyl, no Pro Flex is needed anywhere. The butyl is a bit easier to use if it's warm. Once you set the window in place tighten the screws a bit at a time like you would torque an engine head to let the butyl have time ooze. There is no PSI to go by, stop when it seems nice and tight. Pop rivets are the same. With my gun it seems to take three grips per rivet before it pops. I use half pulls between rivet rounds to let the butyl do its thing. BTW, if you're installing anything of plastic with rivets like vents and such, running the first down to popping by itself is asking for a broken/cracked item .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Sharon, if it is a leak between the gasket and the plexiglass, you may try this. We have had great success using this product.

Captain trolleys creeping crack sealant. Cant take credit for this information. Someone on this forum put us on to it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAPTAIN-TOLL...A2EMKVSX8TAEXI

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Clean the surfaces up good for the new butyl, no Pro Flex is needed anywhere. The butyl is a bit easier to use if it's warm. Once you set the window in place tighten the screws a bit at a time like you would torque an engine head to let the butyl have time ooze. There is no PSI to go by, stop when it seems nice and tight. Pop rivets are the same. With my gun it seems to take three grips per rivet before it pops. I use half pulls between rivet rounds to let the butyl do its thing. BTW, if you're installing anything of plastic with rivets like vents and such, running the first down to popping by itself is asking for a broken/cracked item .

Thank you Dave!!!! No rivets, only screws so I'm in luck there. :-)
Old 11-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #16

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Silicone! OMG I hate that crap on the exterior of any all-molded-towable. THIS is NOT my trailer but check out all the CRAP someone applied to a window on a U-Haul trying to stop the leaks. I scooped this picture from a U-Haul Facebook page that I'm a member. ALL that silicone and the window STILL leaks. Now the owner has a huge problem removing that Devil's Bane.
OMGosh what a mess there! I HATE THAT STUFF on the campers! Don't understand WHY someone would put it on them! You should SEE the top of ours where all those vents are over the bathroom. THAT should be a MEGA fun project getting it off there to replace the vents. As cheap as the vents are someone would do this! I mean it looks like it is over an inch thick in spots! I don't do heights but figureing I might be able to borrow a friends scaffling sp? so I can work on getting that mess off and not have to stand on a ladder to do it since I know it's going to take some doing!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
When I riveted my Scamp windows in after replacing the butyl caulk I found Dave's suggestion of working around the edge from one side to the other then top and bottom to give better results by far. I also left the rivets "half tight" for awhile to let the butyl squeeze out, then gave them all another squeeze, waited a bit the finished them.

I would use the same approach with screws. Half tight for all, then 3/4 tight for all, then final tight for all. Waiting for awhile between each round of tightening.

I think giving the butyl time to conform before tightening some more yielded a better seal, noticed I had some squeezed out all the way around doing it that way. Just tightening not nearly as solid a line around the edge of oozing butyl seal.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #18

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
When I riveted my Scamp windows in after replacing the butyl caulk I found Dave's suggestion of working around the edge from one side to the other then top and bottom to give better results by far. I also left the rivets "half tight" for awhile to let the butyl squeeze out, then gave them all another squeeze, waited a bit the finished them.

I would use the same approach with screws. Half tight for all, then 3/4 tight for all, then final tight for all. Waiting for awhile between each round of tightening.

I think giving the butyl time to conform before tightening some more yielded a better seal, noticed I had some squeezed out all the way around doing it that way. Just tightening not nearly as solid a line around the edge of oozing butyl seal.

Mine has screws but that will probably even be good to do with screws to. Will keep that in mind and thank all you guys for your help because once we do this I don't want to have to go back and redo them again anytime soon.
ALSO when I go to unscrewing those screws I am praying EVERY THING on the inside walls stays put! since it IS old I worry what we're going to get INTO in there. Just praying it stays put!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #19

Registry
Gardnpondr and all--yes, am worrying too about the wood bracing falling loose inside; ours is gutted but so far we haven't pulled the wood away from the walls, and it looks loose. Maybe we'll use the construction glue we got and glue the wood to the fiberglass and let it harden before we try putting the screws back in? Of course, right now, with flood warnings all around us (we're in the highlands) from incessant rain (not that I'm complaining--we need the rain!) we're not doing much on the trailer lately. We DID find a nice thick mattress for half price at IKEA, though, and have it waiting on top of our twin guest bed until the day comes we can slide it on into the trailer. Someday.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Kai, the built-in search function is pretty useless (like you say, you have to hit the exact phrase), but the Google site search is much more sophisticated. It's only available on the website, not on the app. Go to the blue bar under your log-in information, "Search," and go to the bottom of the drop-down menu "Site Search/Google."
You should be able to search the site for key words using google on its own. For example if you want to " find these words ", go to google and in the search box enter the following:
find these words site:fiberglassrv.com
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote