Leaking windows - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Trailer: Bigfoot 13 ft
We have leaky windows in the Lil' Bigfoot, but we're not sure if the leaks are confined to the plexiglass-to-frame portion or are also occurring between the frame-and-fiberglass. We're having the plexi replaced and sealed at a glass shop, but we want to take the frames out and reseal them ourselves. Has anyone done this or have some idea what is involved?

GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
I removed and replaced three window units on my Burro. It was elementary. The windows were held in place by an inside clamp ring that screwed into the frame all around. That exterior frame was bedded in caulk to seal out leaks. When I installed my new windows I used butyl tape caulk. Carefully clean off all dried old residue caulk. Most of us will advise against using silicone caulk of any kind, as that stuff always fails.

Best advice is take good care in handling that inside clamp ring. Having to buy a replacement will likely choke your bank account, big time.
Myron Leski is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off